“Great location”

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
Ranked #110 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This hotel has a great location and it is clear that it is coming to the end of a refurbishment that has improved the place. The lobby bar and outside seating with gas fires was unexpected, but good. The only downside of the hotel was that it's not very quiet - my room faced the valet parking station and there was constant traffic. But with San Francisco food and long days of exploring, you are too tired to notice especially with such a comfortable bed.

The location is excellent - walking distance to the waterfront, Alcatraz cruise and the starting point of many of the hop-on-hop-off bus tours. It's also on the old trolley car route and start point of two of the cable car lines. As a tourist in San Fran, I'd definitely stay here again.

The only disappointment was the airport transfer booked through the concierge. Bad driving (driver had his iPhone to his ear most of the journey even on the expressway) and the price quoted by the concierge was the starting price not the actual price. You're better off getting a cab.

Room Tip: If you're in Block 1, don't go on the lower floors. Very noisy and the floors are very thin...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
SheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Nhhk, thank you so much for the outstanding review and 4-star rating of our hotel. I was pleased you enjoyed our outdoor firepits, comfy Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and convenient location. I hope you and your friends can return soon. Wishing you a great new year and warm regards,

Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Sheraton Hotel was nice; but what they don't tell you when you're going to rent a car from the Dollar Rent-a-Car inside their facility is that they charge you an additional fee of $45.00 per day just for parking the vehicle in the Sheraton parking structure underneath. Had we known that we would have considered staying at another hotel where they don't charge you or offer a discount for vehicle parking. So we ended up paying $350.00 total to rent a car for two days. Crazy! No-where does it say it in the contract nor on the hotel receipt that you will be charged extra. Lesson learned! Aside from that...would we stay there again...Not likely!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the floor level. You won't sleep if people are walking around the street...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Dear EstherGonzalez, thank you so much for the across the board 5-star review of the hotel facilities and services. I was pleased you enjoyed the visit and apologize the car rental agency we have on property did not fully explain all the fees up front. I will insure the owner of the agency is made aware of your suggestions and hope you can plan a return visit soon. Thanks again and warm regards,

Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed 15/12-17/12. Was raining i had to ask for a brolly right after checking in, was told they're all out, turned my back, someone else got it. No big deal, Walgreen's just right around the corner.

Booked fm spg.com, but was given priceline room. Bed with under-size sheets with most part of the mattress exposed and the worst had got to be those nasty naked duvet inserts left on the bed. I thought they were comforters, nicely tucked in, but they were yellowish, took a closer look and they turned out to be duvets without covers. Unhygenic and disgusting. My room number was 1227, which was on ground level, right next to the hotel entrance. Nice, got to know who's coming in and out of the hotel 24/7.

Took a cab to everywhere, but strangely none from the hotel lobby. These cabbies were the nicest people i've met in the city. Ok, i tend to tip service provider a little more than i should, even for take-outs at restuarants, as long as they have common respect for others. Never take advantage of a working class.

Was at the lobby at 4am 17/12 to use free wifi. The lobby was hardly manned. When manned, the front desk guy was pretty mean to people he came in contact with. If not, people walked in freely, includng a rough take-out boy who demanded an answer from me as to where's the front desk guy. daunting.

Revisiting SF after two decades, i realised i don't like this city anymore. People in SF used to have greater self-respect to treat visitors with common respect. Now its the only city in CA that judge people based on their look. People frown at you unanimously if you don't wear dark coloured jacket like them as if the city is mourning or something.

This hotel sets the tone for my stay in SF, right after check-in, and its not a good one. Maybe this hotel had let the city down. Poor management very likely, but i know i should have chosen either The Mark or Hyatt.

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Tickerup, I am so sorry you experienced difficulties during your stay with us. I hope you can contact my office as I would like to arrange for a nights stay on the hotel on your next visit to San Francisco to make up for the challenges you related from this last visit. Thanks so much for providing the details as that will assist us in ensuring these errors are not repeated in the future. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you soon. Take care and warm regards,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

The hotel staff is very nice and helpful (especially the valet guys). We stayed in a room with 2 double beds which was very clean but light switches in the bathroom were awkward and the bathroom was so tiny it would have been uncomfortable if we were any wider. Our room was on the first floor and we could hear the people in the room above us walking around all day and night (it was very annoying and kept us awake at night...and I sleep with earplugs in!) Breakfast is limited and overpriced, even for San Fran. No free wi-fi, and it was a pain in the butt to connect (we had to call the help line and it wasn't worth the money we paid). On the bright side, the location can't be beat, the beds are very comfortable, and it's clean. I think the next time we come to San Fran we'd probably look at other hotels in the area before coming back here.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank ep244342

Dear Ep244342, thank you for your review of our hotel and the kind comments regarding our comfy Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and our staff being very nice and helpful. I will most certainly pass on your comments to our team as they will be excited to hear they made a difference with your stay. I do apologize you encountered a noisy neighbor above you and encourage you contact my office before your next visit so I can block an upper floor or courtyard view room that are ideal for light sleepers. Thanks again for the visit and warm regards,

Reviewed December 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Fisherman's Wharf Sheraton Hotel in San Francisco a week in early November 2012. We had a great experience the hotel is in a great location, the information desk was always helpful in arranging tours for us, and the room was very clean and room service was excellent. It was our 1st visit to San Francisco and we have no complaints. I would defintly go back and stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Yankeelover1987, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and for the 4-star rating! I was pleased you had a great experience and that you found our desk staff to be helpful and our room service to be excellent. I hope you both can return soon and I wish you happy holidays and warm regards,

Reviewed December 14, 2012

This hotel is a great value for the area. It has everything in it
You cna walk to all attractions from the hotel.
Just down the road is small outdoor breakfast sspots, huge servings, small prices.
try the hotels outside fireplaces and bar service nice touch on a cool night.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view or you could get stuck on the busy road side
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Marktravelslots, thank you so much for the 4-star review and for the room tip. I was pleased you were able to see all of our many area attractions and that you enjoyed our outdoor firepits and bar service. Have a great holiday season, thanks for the visit and I wish you warm regards,

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was travelling with 2 friends and we had opted to share 1 standard room with 2 double beds to save money. A double bed is a bit of a squeeze for 2 people who aren't a couple, but we managed to survive. The first night we had a room on the 4th (top) floor which looked out over a bus depot. It didn't seem like an issue during the day, but the continuous idling buses through the night was a bit much to handle so we asked to be moved to another room. The second room was the same as the first but a bit smaller as the top floor had a loft style angled ceiling which gave us a bit more space.

The room had modern beach style decor albeit an ancient noisy air-conditioning unit, and was just big enough for us to fit our suitcases on the floor without tripping over them. The bathroom was tiny with the bathtub shower and toilet sealed off by a door, however the sink, mirror, built in wardrobe and safe are all crammed into an area just in front of the bathroom door.

The area in front of the check in counter servers as the lobby seating area, coffee shop, restaurant, bar and free wifi hang out area. Most people were purchasing their drinks and taking them to the limited outdoor seating areas which were quite nice and had a small gas fire for each set of seats. In terms of service, the staff were very pleasant and friendly however the coffee shop come bar staff seemed to struggle when we asked for a glass of wine from their wine tasting promotion.

All in all a well located hotel only a few minutes’ walk from Fishermans Wharf, restaurants, the Alcatraz tour dock, and Pier 39. I would stay here again but either get 2 rooms or a bigger room for 3 people.

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms facing the bus depot
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear MissRodra, thank you for your detailed review of our hotel and for the kind comments on our very pleasant and friendly staff and the room tip. We only have a few rooms (less than 15%) that face the depot, and have a variety of courtyard and upper floor rooms that are ideal for light sleepers. I was pleased you enjoyed our outdoor fire pits and all of our area attractions. Come back soon and have a great holiday season. Warm regards,