“Dumpster pick-up at 7 AM on Sunday morning! Seriously?”

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
Ranked #110 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is a decent hotel in a great location, but there are some major problems. First, who schedules the dumpster/compactor to be picked-up at 7 AM on Sunday morning? It woke up the entire block. Unfortunately, our entire floor had been awakened at 6:30 AM by Sheraton security looking to reunite Mr. Gordon with his lost wife. I've got one word for you fools: discretion. Look it up! And while your at it, wise up.
The room would have been ok if the deadbolt actually locked, the night stand drawer actually opened and the shower actually drained, but hey...if they don't give a crap about waking you at 6:30 AM on a Sunday morning.....why would they worry about the comfort and safety of their rooms? Don't pay full price to stay here. Use Priceline and you can book a night for a hundred bucks. You'll need to save every penny because parking will set you back $51.30 a night. On the plus side, the staff is very friendly and they will let you check in early if they have rooms available. Don't be shy about asking.

Room Tip: There is no where safe at 7 AM on Sunday morning. The unloading/loading of the dumpster/compactor so...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bogusmalarky
SheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Bogusmalarky, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and my apologies you were disturbed by a noisy trash pickup that early in the morning. The hotel is at the mercy of city services and the time they select to make their rounds, however we do meet with the trash vendor on a regular basis in an attempt to keep such pickups to a reasonable window. I will again call our contact with the service to insure they know an early pickup did take place during your recent visit. I was pleased to hear you found our staff to be very friendly and I do hope we can host your next visit to San Francisco. Just let me know and I'll block a room away from the compactor area. Thanks again for the visit and I wish you warm regards,

Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

We associated the Sheraton brand with high quality, five star accommodation and yet found that the variation of quality across the Sheraton brand, at this property in particular was broad! The Fisherman's Wharf address of this Sheraton property is ideal and close to the hustle and bustle of Pier 39 attractions so that's a plus.
Disappointed though in the 3 star feel of this Sheraton property. The most telling aspect of our 6 night visit was the thin insulation between floors. We were situated on the third floor and the first night the noise and disturbance from the room above us was beyond tolerable. We contacted the front desk at 10 pm and then again a little after midnight. It is surprising that the floors between one level and the next allow the footsteps in the room above to sound like a stampede. Other than that the hotel offers good customer service but overall lacks the finesse of the level of accommodation we would have liked. Loved the fire pits but the weather at that time of year in San Fran was much colder than what we had anticipated, so sitting outside was not an option.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Myrna_V, many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and for the high ratings for our location and cleanliness. I was pleased you enjoyed our outdoor firepits and do apologize you were affected by a noisy upstairs neighbor. Our hotel is of wood framed construction so we ask our guests to be courteous to their neighbors by posting 'quiet please' signage in the evenings. We also have our security officers make rounds to insure a quiet and relaxing environment for all our guests. On your next visit, please feel free to contact my office as I can certainly block one of our upper floor or courtyard view rooms that are ideal for light sleepers. Thanks again for the visit and take care. Warm regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Like most of the Sheraton empire, you can't fault this hotel for comfort or cleanliness. Helpful staff, coffee machine in the room and free WiFi in the lobby and bars (nicer if it was also free in the rooms though). For some reason the mellow Sheraton decor has been discarded for a nauseous white and blue striped scheme and the rooms are BRIGHT.... very BRIGHT - not exactly the most relaxing effect and slightly remeniscent of a hospital waiting room. Public areas (away from the stripes) are pleasant and the fire pits to sit around and dispel the foggy cold are a novel idea. Not bad - but could be better.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Feckenhamsters, thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and for the 5-star rating of our staff service, cleanliness and sleep quality. I was pleased you found our staff to be helpful and that you enjoyed our outdoor firepits. Thanks again for the visit and we hope you can come back soon. Take care and warm regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The hotel itself is fine besides charging for wifi and use of the business center.

The concierge is not friendly, engaging or very helpfull. There was always 4/5 people waiting for his assistance. Maybe the hotel should add a 2nd concierge during busy periods in such a tourist destination. In my department in a 5 star hotel we have 4 at times and a guest never has to wait to ask a question.

I have attempted to contact the hotel Gm regarding my experience with a shared ride shuttle so far no response. We asked the concierge to order us a ride upon departure. A van that had only 7 seats arrives to pick us up. There were 8 passengers for a 7 seat vehicle. I informed the bellman that this was unacceptable as it was unsafe, and would be uncomfortable as well. The Bellman refused to take ownership even though the hotel booked this shared ride for us. I asked the bellman to call the manager on duty to the front of the hotel. He refused to do so. I was about to go back inside and find the manager but another guest on the shuttle was yelling at me that he had to leave. This was very uncomfortable again caused by the hotel not taking ownership of the situation. The name of the company used was airport express and the drivers name Sam. He did not check the reservation tickets and it transpires the concierge had sent another guest on the van without a reservation. Sams dispatcher confirmed this via his radio so the whole van could hear this.

I am also a hotel concierge. I would not allow this situation to occur. I would have called the company to send a 2nd van or put my guests into a towncar/taxi at the hotels expense and apologized profusely for the inconvience.

This completly ruined the end of a otherwise good vacation. Again I sent a e mail addressed to the hotel GM and he has not responded to this situation.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank conciergesyt

Dear Conciergesyt, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and for the 4-star rating of our sleep quality and location. I do apologize you were negatively affected by a shuttle service to the airport. We utilize a variety of 3rd party services as do most hotels in San Francisco and offer all our guests a choice of transportation, including taxi and a dedicated town car service that is quite affordable. I have asked our Concierge service to contact the company you mentioned to insure they were aware of this situation so they can take corrective action to prevent overloading the vehicle in the future. Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention and thanks again for staying with us during your recent visit to San Francisco. Warm regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Maybe I just chose a bad time to stay, being that the Oracle convention was in town and the city was quite busy. I'm guessing that's the cause for inflated room rates. However, busy or not, you can't effectively charge for a mediocre stay.

We were placed in a room on the ground floor, directly next door to the fitness center, across a small echoey lobby from the elevator & entrance from outside. Probably the worst room in the hotel. As if the noise from outside wasn't enough, we got every noise from inside blasted into our room at elevated volumes.

Rooms look nice. Our TV didn't work half the time. And there weren't any refrigerators in the rooms? I thought all hotels had those by now... I know I can stay at a Holiday Inn Express anywhere and have one & pay 1/3 less for that. Bed was OK, a little too soft for me and the mattress squeezed every time I moved.

Aside from the above mentioned, the hotel isn't bad. I suppose a different room probably wouldn't have warranted the need to write this review.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear Erin_K, thanks so much for the review and for your 5-star rating of our hotel cleanliness and location. I was pleased you found our staff service to be 4-star and apologize your assigned room location was not to your liking. We do offer a variety of upper floor and courtyard view rooms that are ideal for light sleepers, so please feel free to contact my office before your next visit so I can block one of these for you. Thanks again for the visit and we wish you safe travels and warm regards,

Reviewed September 29, 2012

It appears our trip has coincided with an Oracle conference. We were going to stay for 3 nights and had booked with hotels.com. With the total price of over $1000 we thought we were in for a treat. On arrival we were met by the local youth with attitude blocking the entrance to the hotel. Eventually we parked outside and then unloaded. No porters - must have been busy with others!! Checked in and as per previous comments we asked to be moved from 1st floor to a quiter room. Happily this request was met. WIFI in rooms is extra, car parking is extortionate and no mini bar.
Last night we stayed at the Comfort Inn in Oakhurst. The bathroom was better equipped, WIFI was free, PARKING was free and breakfast was also included.
We are now only staying 2 nights (hotels com were very helpful) saving over $600 - that will pay for at least 2 nights at the BALAGIO (where we were at the start of this week) or a few more at the comfort Inn. Its a shame as this only gives us a day to see San Francisco. In summary the Sheraton is at best 3 stars and the experience has left a sour taste which unfortunately reflects badly on San Francisco.

2  Thank Ed E

Dear Ed_E, thank you for reviewing our hotel and my apologies you were affected by the crush of Oracle conference attendees during your visit. The entire city filled with this conference and I am so sorry it left a sour taste in for your time in San Francisco. If there is anything I can do to make the situation right with you, please feel free to contact my office. I certainly appreciate your patronage and hope you can return to the city during a less busy time period on your next visit. Take care and warm regards,

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This hotel has an excellent location on Fisherman's Wharf. The hotel definitely needs some refurbishment especially the wallpaper!! The oudoor fireplaces are really nice and original. The breakfast buffet was good but way overpriced. The staff were good and polite. Again the location is the thing about this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Naguib

Dear Naguib, many thanks for the review and for the 4-star rating of our staff service, cleanliness and sleep quality. I was pleased you found our staff to be polite and that you enjoyed our outdoor firepits and breakfast buffet offerings. Thanks again for the visit and I hope you can return soon. Take care and warm regards,