“The Seal Rocks.......” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Seal Rock Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Seal Rock Inn
Ranked #145 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Huntington Beach, CA
“The Seal Rocks.......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

ok... here's the deal.... i've been staying here since the early
70's... here's why.....

firstly, it is NOT for everyone.... i like 5 stars and being able
to get rangoon crepes from room service at 3 AM as much
as the next person, and a fountain side suite at the bellagio
in las vegas is just fine, thank you very much.... it's also over
a thousand a night, not including the 3 am crepes.... stayed
there, ordered that.....

when i go to SF, i plan on eating out, going places, and
having a good time.... and the seal rock works perfectly for
that... it's like saturday morning, and your favorite pair of
sneakers, hanging out.

you want saturday night with stillettoes instead of
comfy sneakers? nob hill is on the other side of town,
and is 850 a night instead of 150 for a room.

i just called up for reservations for next weekend, and
was in luck.... they were sold out, but had one cancellation
15 minutes before.... so i'm in room 302... been there before.

my wife is a gormet cook, and if SHE loves the food
downstairs, you probably will too..... she loves the food
downstairs.

ok... the furniture is like visiting your aunt sophie...
work it out in therapy, for god's sake. if you are traumatized
by the furnature, bring a copy of Architectural Digest for
the therapeautic value. what did you come to SF for?
to examine hotel furniture? get out the door, and do something.

i wouldn't normally post a review of this, as it sells out
almost all the time anyway, and i'd like to be able to get
a room, y'know, without having to fight the rest of you for one.

however, i happened to click on the revews, and after
reading a few, decided to post something here. a
couple of them really plugged my BS filter, requiring
cleaning with a toothbrush.....

if you get a room, you'll probably be happy with the
experience. i've been coming back for 35 years.

and if you are a hight maintenance pain-in-the-butt,
who needs everything to be perfect for them to be
happy, then go to the mark hopkins. that way i won't
have to sit next to you at the restraunt, and listen to
you complain, which would annoy me..... thanks.

Randy Allen
akirra@fulthrotl.com

• Liked — Location, Price, Food
  • Disliked — Parking is crowded when they sell out.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
12 Thank FulThrotl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Brandon, MS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

I would like to recommend the Seal Rock Inn as a quiet place to stay in San Francisco, CA. Although it is not the most glamourous place to stay in San Francisco, it is clean, staff courteous /attentive and the bus line stops right out front without the hustle bustle at most bus stops in San Fran. You can walk one block down the hill to the ocean, Cliff House and thru a park to view the bay and the Golden Gate Bridge. You do not have all of the honking and city noise of downtown stays. The restaurant attached to the Seal Rock Inn is a very good one. They serve great breakfasts and good lunches. No dinner served. If you do rent a car - they have covered parking and more street parking. There is no extra charge for parking that most San Francisco Hotel/Motels charge.

We were pleased with our visit - I believe this is a good San Francisco secret. Our visit was for a full week and we did not have any complaints.

Jackson, Mississippi

2 Thank Bandits
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2007

I went to meet some friends for breakfast today at the Seal Rock Inn. I was about 15 minutes early and was sitting outside in the back. The manager came out and told me that when I came in, I could not leave my two service dogs where they were (outside the restaurant and no where near the entrance. I told him he had no right to make that claim, and that they were service dogs. He then tried to get me to explain what they were in service for, an illegal inquirry. When I told him his actions were illegal, he said I was not welcome at the Inn and he would not even serve my friends. He refused to let my friends dine there. I will sue them for discrimination on the basis of handicap and suggest you seriously consider whether you would want to stay or eat at such at place.

• Liked — NOthing
  • Disliked — no
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank onecoatsam

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2007

Contacted hotel directly and was not able to obtain a reservation. The employee that answered the phone, and latter his supervisor, have no patience to answer simple questions. They were very rude and actually hung-up the phone (twice).

Fortunately, there are plenty of other choices for lodging in the SF area as I would not recommend staying at the Seal Rock Inn.

Stayed December 2007
5 Thank Thinkadventure
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2006

My husband and I have stayed at the Seal Rock Inn several times and have family who have stayed there in the past as well. We have visited in the past six months and so I feel up to date on its amenities and service and in that way qualifed to speak about this place

I think it is important to say that although we keep coming back to this hotel and enjoy it and certainly reccomend it to others, it does have a few drawbacks and would not be to everyone's taste

Because I have read extreme reviews of Seal Rock on this site ranging from highly critically to very complimentary, I wanted to try to provide a little balance...this might help you see if it is for you

WHAT WE LIKE ABOUT SEAL ROCK INN

its charm , its history and uniquenss...it is really is from another era..1950's style, cozy , comfy furniture even "funky" today's teens would say, large open clean rooms, many with fireplaces, some with views. a real homey feel. A SF landmark for sure!

Its interesting inner courtyard with a pool, table tennis and places to sit and relax in an atmosphere that is relaxed, safe and friendly. Great if you have friends/family staying in another room...neat place for adults to gather and visit.. Kids love it too and it is easy to give them some freedom while keeping them in sight.

Its bright restaurant that serves great breakfasts with friendly staff who have been there a long time, know the area and who do not make you feel that you have to rush. Locals love to eat here too so that tells you something!!!

Its location...out of the hustle bustle and pressure of downtown but with easy access to the sights of that part of the city -there is a bus right outside the door or by car it is direct and not far to travel

Its right by the beach and with lots of interesting walks nearby, in a great neigbourhood, close to some quaint shopping, and good eating (both reasonably priced and more fancy dining), steps from the famous Cliff House and famous beach along the great highway.

Its free and convenient parking :-) not so in many other parts of SF

Its good value compared to what you pay elsewhere in the city for the same amount of room and space

Its wide appeal to adults , teens and kids alike...we have seen it all. Great for family gatherings or romantic couple stays..we have done both

WHAT WE HAVE NOT ALWAYS LIKED

Its mangement do not always seem very flexible when there are special needs and requests and sometimes can convey an abrupt attitude with a focus on the rules and the bottom line instead of customer service. This is not always the case by any means but people skills could be something that they brush up on a bit. The staff though are generally very friendly and helpful.

Its late check in sometimes seems difficult as the desk shuts down at 11PM and check out time seems firmly observed even when there are circumstances where some compassion could have been extended

Its bathrooms..There is either a bathtub or a shower stall in each room and neither are ideal in our view. The bathrooms are quite small and could use some updating

Well that's it. Would we go back?. Absolutely!!!!!! it is a very special place!!!

• Liked — very unique, charming. close to beach, great breakfasts,
  • Disliked — bathrooms need some updating
  • Tips/Secrets — book ahead. it is popular
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
35 Thank weslyn
Napa, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2006

I am an avid TripAdvisor user, BUT I did not check reviews before booking at the Seal Rock Inn...probably a mistake. I was actually going on "nostalgia" because my parents had stayed here for an anniversary or two many years ago. Now I've had my "reality check".

The third floor room was very spacious, but quite rundown. Peeling wallpaper, cruddy shower tiles, spots on upholstery, wobbly, crooked tables. No clock or radio or "entertainment" brochure or magazine. The bed was made very sloppy; bedskirt falling off; when I pulled back the bedspread the sheets were limp and wrinkled; for a moment I panicked that the bed had not been changed! I tried not to be paranoid...I got a stiff neck and shoulder from the "sling" type bed, the rolling toward the center thing with two people in bed.
When will I learn that a hotel's description of "direct view of the ocean" is always subjective?? I've posted a couple of pictures; I got innovative in order to sit and view the ocean, because the windows are too high for just sitting at chair level (I'm 5' 5" tall, not a short person). The fireplace was a nice touch, although a bit small for the room.

The location is great for a different style of SF holiday. We walked to the Cliff House; had a great dinner and live music at The Beach Chalet restaurant, just a short drive down the Great Hwy. Our intention was a more mellow trip to SF this time, not right in the heart of the city. We will enjoy our beautiful San Francisco many more times; but I will not stay at the Seal Rock Inn again or recommend it to friends.

• Liked — Walk to the beach, park and restaurants.
  • Disliked — Rundown, not clean enough.
  • Tips/Secrets — Lower your expectations.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
16 Thank NapaNomad
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Seal Rock Inn in August 2006 and had a great time. The hotel is not luxurious, but we found it comfortable. We rented a car and appreciated the free parking. It was nice to be right by the ocean and parks, instead of downtown. You can take some really nice walks, right from the hotel. Staying out at Seal Rock forces you to see interesting parts of the city that tourists usually don't see. Also, the breakfast at the restaurant downstairs is good and convenient. The bus noise others have mentioned didn't bother us. If you like sushi, try Oyaji on Clement... the best we've ever had!!!

• Liked — Great Price, Great Location
  • Disliked — Tiny bathrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a room with a view of the ocean!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple