We chose the Seal Rock Inn because of its price and its proximity to the two attractions we would be visiting that weekend; the California Academy of Sciences, and the Legion of Honor art museum.
On the plus side:
* The parking was free (a rarity in SF!)
* The room had a partial view of the ocean.
* There was a kitchenette that included a small fridge, micro, sink, and coffee maker.
* The room was spacious and included two extra little sleeping sofas, with plenty of room to roll out a couple of sleeping bags if you're traveling with friends/family.
* The shower was spacious and the water pressure was good.
* The desk was large and included an Ethernet cable for wired Internet access if you're working.
* There was free WiFi.
* There was a pool, though we didn't use it.
* There were ping-pong tables if you have kids who need something to do.
* There's a restaurant that was convenient for a quick breakfast.
* It was a quick, 10-minute drive to both of our attractions.
On the minus side:
* The rooms and common areas look like they needed some updating, like a coat of paint, new carpet, new bedspreads, etc.
* There are no dishes or silverware in the kitchen, so bring your own if you plan to eat in the room.
* The TV was quite far from the bed, though still decently visible.
* The food in the restaurant was good, but the coffee was terrible. Stop at a coffee house instead if you need some morning java.
All in all, a good choice for a lower-cost stay in an expensive city, and a good way to stay close to the main attractions you may be visiting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated next to the quiet, scenic surroundings of Sutro Heights Park and Land's End, we are located away from the noisy downtown traffic and crowds, yet still in the city in a resort-like location. We are just a block up the hill from the historic Cliff House and a few steps further to miles of beach along Ocean Beach. Enjoy a wonderful breakfast or lunch at our own restaurant which serves all day and every day. Our spacious guest rooms, many of which have excellent park and ocean views, provide our guests with many amenities including free high-speed Wi-Fi , cable TVs, dual-line phones with voice mail, free locals calls, in-room iron/ironing boards, and hair dryers. Other hotel amenities incude complimentary but limited covered parking, a private patio with swimming pool, ping pong and badminton. All our guest roomsrooms are non-smoking and some with fireplaces. So if you are ready to try something different in San Francisco then consider us as your home away from home along San Francisco's ocean front. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Seal Rock Hotel San Francisco
- Seal Rock San Francisco
- Seal Rock Inn San Francisco