“Unable to book reservation”
Review of Seal Rock Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Francisco
Seal Rock Inn
Ranked #150 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
CA
“Unable to book reservation”
Reviewed December 12, 2007

Contacted hotel directly and was not able to obtain a reservation. The employee that answered the phone, and latter his supervisor, have no patience to answer simple questions. They were very rude and actually hung-up the phone (twice).

Fortunately, there are plenty of other choices for lodging in the SF area as I would not recommend staying at the Seal Rock Inn.

Stayed December 2007
5 Thank Thinkadventure

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Canada
Reviewed December 9, 2006

My husband and I have stayed at the Seal Rock Inn several times and have family who have stayed there in the past as well. We have visited in the past six months and so I feel up to date on its amenities and service and in that way qualifed to speak about this place

I think it is important to say that although we keep coming back to this hotel and enjoy it and certainly reccomend it to others, it does have a few drawbacks and would not be to everyone's taste

Because I have read extreme reviews of Seal Rock on this site ranging from highly critically to very complimentary, I wanted to try to provide a little balance...this might help you see if it is for you

WHAT WE LIKE ABOUT SEAL ROCK INN

its charm , its history and uniquenss...it is really is from another era..1950's style, cozy , comfy furniture even "funky" today's teens would say, large open clean rooms, many with fireplaces, some with views. a real homey feel. A SF landmark for sure!

Its interesting inner courtyard with a pool, table tennis and places to sit and relax in an atmosphere that is relaxed, safe and friendly. Great if you have friends/family staying in another room...neat place for adults to gather and visit.. Kids love it too and it is easy to give them some freedom while keeping them in sight.

Its bright restaurant that serves great breakfasts with friendly staff who have been there a long time, know the area and who do not make you feel that you have to rush. Locals love to eat here too so that tells you something!!!

Its location...out of the hustle bustle and pressure of downtown but with easy access to the sights of that part of the city -there is a bus right outside the door or by car it is direct and not far to travel

Its right by the beach and with lots of interesting walks nearby, in a great neigbourhood, close to some quaint shopping, and good eating (both reasonably priced and more fancy dining), steps from the famous Cliff House and famous beach along the great highway.

Its free and convenient parking :-) not so in many other parts of SF

Its good value compared to what you pay elsewhere in the city for the same amount of room and space

Its wide appeal to adults , teens and kids alike...we have seen it all. Great for family gatherings or romantic couple stays..we have done both

WHAT WE HAVE NOT ALWAYS LIKED

Its mangement do not always seem very flexible when there are special needs and requests and sometimes can convey an abrupt attitude with a focus on the rules and the bottom line instead of customer service. This is not always the case by any means but people skills could be something that they brush up on a bit. The staff though are generally very friendly and helpful.

Its late check in sometimes seems difficult as the desk shuts down at 11PM and check out time seems firmly observed even when there are circumstances where some compassion could have been extended

Its bathrooms..There is either a bathtub or a shower stall in each room and neither are ideal in our view. The bathrooms are quite small and could use some updating

Well that's it. Would we go back?. Absolutely!!!!!! it is a very special place!!!

• Liked — very unique, charming. close to beach, great breakfasts,
  • Disliked — bathrooms need some updating
  • Tips/Secrets — book ahead. it is popular
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
35 Thank weslyn
Napa, CA
Reviewed October 27, 2006

I am an avid TripAdvisor user, BUT I did not check reviews before booking at the Seal Rock Inn...probably a mistake. I was actually going on "nostalgia" because my parents had stayed here for an anniversary or two many years ago. Now I've had my "reality check".

The third floor room was very spacious, but quite rundown. Peeling wallpaper, cruddy shower tiles, spots on upholstery, wobbly, crooked tables. No clock or radio or "entertainment" brochure or magazine. The bed was made very sloppy; bedskirt falling off; when I pulled back the bedspread the sheets were limp and wrinkled; for a moment I panicked that the bed had not been changed! I tried not to be paranoid...I got a stiff neck and shoulder from the "sling" type bed, the rolling toward the center thing with two people in bed.
When will I learn that a hotel's description of "direct view of the ocean" is always subjective?? I've posted a couple of pictures; I got innovative in order to sit and view the ocean, because the windows are too high for just sitting at chair level (I'm 5' 5" tall, not a short person). The fireplace was a nice touch, although a bit small for the room.

The location is great for a different style of SF holiday. We walked to the Cliff House; had a great dinner and live music at The Beach Chalet restaurant, just a short drive down the Great Hwy. Our intention was a more mellow trip to SF this time, not right in the heart of the city. We will enjoy our beautiful San Francisco many more times; but I will not stay at the Seal Rock Inn again or recommend it to friends.

• Liked — Walk to the beach, park and restaurants.
  • Disliked — Rundown, not clean enough.
  • Tips/Secrets — Lower your expectations.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
16 Thank NapaNomad

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed September 19, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Seal Rock Inn in August 2006 and had a great time. The hotel is not luxurious, but we found it comfortable. We rented a car and appreciated the free parking. It was nice to be right by the ocean and parks, instead of downtown. You can take some really nice walks, right from the hotel. Staying out at Seal Rock forces you to see interesting parts of the city that tourists usually don't see. Also, the breakfast at the restaurant downstairs is good and convenient. The bus noise others have mentioned didn't bother us. If you like sushi, try Oyaji on Clement... the best we've ever had!!!

• Liked — Great Price, Great Location
  • Disliked — Tiny bathrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Get a room with a view of the ocean!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
9 Thank CattleDog
california
Reviewed September 18, 2006

I would never stay here again. The windows had fuzzy black mold growing on them. The shower was moldy. The wall paper was peeling from the walls and the wall behind was moldy. The base of the toilet was grimmy. It is the first time I've cleaned a toilet seat in a motel before I'd use it. The room was large and it looks like it was once -a very long time ago - a classy place. I don't know how the SF Health Dept allows them to stay in business.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — filthy
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here
  • Stayed September 2006
8 Thank harry234
Hanover, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 10, 2006

Just got back from a stay over Labor Day weekend. My husband & I stayed for 6 nights and found the charm of the motel to be perfect for our stay in SanFran. Since we rented a car and come from the East, traffic & getting around through the city were no problem for us. The motel is in a great neighborhood with friendly local shops/restaurants. Gaspare's for dinner, Javacat for coffee. It was nice after a day of running through the city to come back to the quaint area of Ocean Beach and the bath ruins. The Park/Beach Chalet just down the road at the entrance of the Golden Gate Park was a perfect place to grab lunch or a good beer with a peaceful setting.
The hotel was kept up well. Our maid service was excellent and the grounds, which consisted of a small pool, ping pong and small tables for the onsite restaurant were a charming touch to the center of the motel. The rooms themselves are huge. Yes, they need updating, but I wasn't staying at a Marriot. There was a small fridge and plenty of room to stretch out after a long day of walking. The only complaint I have is the shower. All I ask is they upgrade to a handheld shower, it was quite an experience trying to wash my hair everyday. The people were quiet & friendly, not intrusive, but certainly not rude. The restaurant, a local favorite, offered daily weekday specials for breakfast and a friendly, personable staff. It does get crowded on the weekends so we only ate breakfast there during the week. Plenty of food for the money and a good start to a long day, they keep the coffee flowing.
If you are looking for a comfortable stay near quaint settings in San Francisco this is the place for you. My husband & I would definitley go back.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — shower
  • Tips/Secrets — if you don't need a huge room, don't opt to pay more for the corner suites...looked like the inside rooms had bigger showers
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple

Sutro Bath Ruins nearby
Sutro Heights Park next door
Trailhead toward Baker Beach (Golden Gate Bridge) across street
Bus stops for 38L and 18 right at hotel
Golden Gate Park not too far away (also accessible by bus 18)
Pretty close to Legion of Honor by bus
Great views of the ocean
More relaxed location than in the city (less traffic)

Other positives:
Seem to keep the place clean
Restaurant food is pretty good, especially breakfast
Free parking
TV had a decent selection of channels and a remote
Small refrigerator and microwave
Kitchenette with stove, but cabinets locked up
apparently if you don't pay extra
Nice little courtyard with a ping pong table if you
can believe that and a pool

Negatives:
Restaurant is a bit expensive, but not out of line with
everything else in San Francisco
No laundry services or washer dryers on site and the
nearest coin op is too far to easily walk
Decor is a bit dated to it's 1959 origins
Long way from the center of town and other tourist places
Furniture is marginal. Couches are twin bed convertables
and I found them hard on my back as couches
Restaurant closes before dinner
No snack machine and nearest convenience store is 5 blocks
away (walkable but somewhat far for this purpose)
Only nearby restaurants (other than in motel) are either
closed for dinner or very expensive (Cliff House).
No air conditioning (though it was cool outside and not
a problem for me)

On balance I thought it was a good place for me to stay. It was
more relaxed than the hustle bustle crowds in the city. It was
a nice location for visiting lots of things in the evening and
some (the trail to Baker Beach) even had views of the Golden
Gate Bridge only about 10 minutes from the motel. I liked sitting
in my room with the windows open and a nice cool breeze watching
the sun set over the Pacific. I found the need to bring so many
clothes (no place to wash) somewhat annoying as was the need
to walk to the Walgreens 5 blocks away if I wanted a snack in