“Great little hotel”
Review of San Remo Hotel

San Remo Hotel
Reviewed April 29, 2006

What can I say? Or rather, what can I add to the reviews already on this page? Not much!

This hotel was the most comfortable and 'homely' one we stayed in during our week long trip all over California. The shared bathrooms were really not an issue and were never busy. The staff were friendly, helpful, polite - but also quirky and fun. You don't get quirky and fun at the Holiday Inn! The lack of tv and telephone in the bedrooms was not an issue either - and was more than made up for by the extensive bookcases dotted around the hotel and the excellent massage chair (great at the end of a tiring day of touristy things). And it was really nice to not fall asleep in front of the tv in YET another generic motel room.

Basically, for the price, the location and the comfort, it was a much better decision for us to stay in a place like this than any of the generic chain hotels located in Fisherman's Wharf. You still got everything you'd get in a generic hotel chain i.e. cleanliness and comfort. But I liked the hostel feel of the place - the launderette on site, the shared tv room and that general friendliness from other guests that you'd get in a hostel but you wouldn't get anywhere else. I don't know if we got all this because we stayed at a relatively off-peak time of year though.

Would stay here again and would certainly recommend it to others.

6  Thank maui50

Reviewed April 17, 2006

I stayed at the San Remo Hotel upon recommendation from a friend who had stayed there on prior visits. I insisted on a room with a sink and a window and I was certainly happy with that choice for the extra few dollars.

Firstly, the staff is incredibly nice. I had requested a room on the 2nd floor because there are more toilets up there and I was a bit freaked out at the idea of having to go 'down the hall' to the bathrooms! But, upon check-in, after lugging my heavy suitcase up a steep flight of stairs just to the check-in desk, I decided I could not possibly drag my suitcase up yet another flight of stairs. They found me a room on the 1st floor (which is a flight UP!)...I went to check it out..it was nice, had 2 twins in it (I had requested that because a friend was joining me)...but when I went to take a pillow from one bed to put onto the other bed, I discovered someone's pajamas under the pillow...although the sheets looked newly changed and clean. It still grossed me out, so I went down to discuss this. They didn't have another room available on the 1st floor even though I was ok with a double bed at this point since my friend could no longer join me....so eventually they put me in room #801 (I think) which is actually the room that the staff sleeps in as one person always sleeps on the premises. (They have another place to sleep if this room gets booked.) My room was facing the front of the hotel - street-side - and was right behind the manager's office. The good: I had 2 windows as it was a corner room and I personally like looking out the window to see what's going on! It is a very quiet street...so not much action! The bad: If you are a light sleeper, I wouldn't recommend a room in this location as the manager's door opened and closed quite frequently (of course it should as they are working!)...and evidently while I was there - there was a noisy accident at 2 a.m. on the street with ambulance, etc. Funny thing...I didn't hear a thing and my friend with a room down the hall was up for a few hours listening to the sirens and watching the scene! I'm a heavy sleeper so I didn't hear any noise at all!

The room: Furnished like your grandma's house...old antique-type furniture. My room had a double bed, 2 nightstands and a small wooden chair in the corner. I could barely fit through to walk past the foot of the bed to the other side of the room. My room had a sink, some small shelves above the sink, hooks on the back of the door, an antique free-standing wooden closet (not large but adequate) and fresh towels.

Prior to arriving, I was totally freaked out about the showers and bathrooms down the hall. First of all, they were clean, did not smell at all, and were really fine. The toilets are not “dorm-style’ – each toilet is in an individual little room – you go in and lock your door. Very private. Only one time was someone in "MY" bathroom and I just went to another one! The showers were fine as long as you are not claustrophobic. It is a little room – again, you go in and lock the door. It is a booth and it's small. I was perfectly fine but just a warning...you are locked into a very small, square, booth-type room and it's kinda strange. There is a place to hang your towel or robe behind a clear shower curtain and the stuff stayed dry so that was good. They have shampoo, conditioner and soap in dispensers on the wall so you don't even have to bring shampoo with you. I showered at night because I figured mornings would be busier and I was correct.

They also have a pay-per-minute internet station in the hotel which was nice. It was $5 for 30 minutes.

The other guests were mostly European from what I could see...British seemed to dominate the reservations. Everyone seemed very respectful on 'holiday' and enjoying San Francisco. There was only one creepy woman in the hotel - she was a 'local' and had too much to drink and kind of creeped me out but I just ignored her - she seemed harmless just creepy. The hotel was aware of her and they were very nice when I mentioned something…they were keeping a close-eye on her.

The BEST part: You can walk to everything! Fisherman's Wharf, Little Italy, Chinatown...all an easy and FLAT walk! Pat's Cafe, around the corner, is a delightful breakfast place.

Would I stay there again? Considering the price - I paid $69/night - I would have to say YES. I'm sure other nearby hotels were more than $100 more.

In closing, the staff was wonderful and very helpful in every way possible. I got great suggestions of non-touristy places to eat and good directions each time I requested help. They booked us a shuttle to return to the airport which came exactly on time.

I would recommend the San Remo Hotel if you are on a budget. You can't beat the price and location and it was a decent enough hotel to enjoy S.F. and spend my money on delicious dinners instead!

7  Thank Varda C
Reviewed April 9, 2006

My wife and I just spent 6 nights at San Remo Hotel and enjoyed it completely. It is perfect for the traveler on a budget or not. I have paid far more for far less. Our room was clean, comfortable & unique. We had no need for telephones or televisions on vacation and basically only slept at the hotel. Otherwise, we were out and about the city. The shared bath/shower/toilet was not even an issue. Neither my wife or I ever had any problems with access to either. The bath/shower/toilet area was very well conceived and clean. No problem with hot water either. My only slight complaint was a bit of noise in the evenings. We had and east facing sunrise room. There was a bit of street noise. The hotel management was kind enough to move us to room 402, which was very nice and off of the street. very quite with a sink and window, I think the nicest room in the hotel. The location of the hotel is perfect. Walking distance to both the Wharf and North Beach areas. Also, one block to the Mason street cable cars. Pat's cafe' was perfect for breakfast and just a short block away. Now for the skinny. Even at the most expensive room, $75 night for 6 nights plus tax, we paid just over $500 for the entire weeks stay. We enjoyed the savings and spent them on extra-nice meals out in the evenings. My wife and I would definately stay at the San Remo again!!!!

11  Thank m-linn
A TripAdvisor Member
Rossland, B.C. Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2006

March 28, 2006
My husband and spent four nights in this historical hotel near Fisherman's Wharf in S.F. and were more than pleased with our accomodation! It is a budget hotel with a lot of Class. Although the toilets and showers (as well as claw foot tubs) were down the hall, there never were any line ups for use and we always had plenty of hot water. Constructed in 1906, the hotel has been recently restored; each room and the hallways are furbished with antiques and the walls in the hallways are decorated with antique art and photos as well as historical information about the city. The hotel is family owned and operated and has that "inn" feel to it. The staff were always eager to assist you in any way and were a wealth of information/advise about the city. If in S.F. again, we would most certainly stay here! Pat and Les, Rossland, B.C. Canada

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 7, 2006

Great location. Amazing price. Very spotless rooms.
Shared baths; however, very, very clean. My only
adverse thing to say is it is noisy in am. Walls
thin and doors noisy. But if you are an early riser
no biggie. Nights are very quiet.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank itsthediva
Reviewed February 23, 2006

• Stayed: February 2005
30  Thank MildManneredTraveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 19, 2006

I paid $55 for a double bed in a small room. There were plenty of bathrooms across the hall from me with private toilet rooms and shower rooms. Lots of privacy. The bathrooms were spotless. The bed was comfortable and nice. The hotel is in San Francisco's fashionable North Beach neighborhood. A great location to see it all. Two blocks to Fisherman's Warf, two blocks to the Powell St. cable car and street car line. Italian restaurants abound in this neighborhood. Lombard St. and China Town all within walking distance as well. Great place for someone traveling on a budget and wanting a great location. Desk staff is not always helpful, but hey, you are paying $55 for a hotel room in a city where you can barely park your car for that a night! Great hotel...very cool. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2006