“Pretty as a picture and more.”
Review of San Remo Hotel

San Remo Hotel
Sydney, Australia
“Pretty as a picture and more.”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for two one night stopovers in late June and early July . I chose the hotel based on previous Tripadvisor reviews and of course the cost and certainly glad I did. Since I had studied the reviews I pretty much knew what to expect... yes, you do have to lug your bags up a fairly steep flight of stairs and yes, the rooms are very small and yes, there is not a lot of room for your suitcases . Note the beds too are a double size, not a queen so fairly 'cosy'. Yes, the property is very quaint and charming and yes, the staff helpful. I did book us a room with a sink but really we didn't need it so could have saved some money there. ALTHOUGH by booking one of these rooms we ended up having a room overlooking the neighbouring driveway and building and a lovely outside window. The first stay was on the lower floor and the second on the upper floor. Both rooms lovely and comfy. I have a feeling that the rooms without the sinks might be the inside facing corridor rooms - still lovely but darker, less private due the windows in the hall and a bit noisier. Also, in the reviews they did mention noise and earplugs... yes, the walls are thin but thumbs up to the hotel for providing earplugs IF you want/need to use them! We were 'lucky' enough to awake early on a Sunday morning to a family occupying the neighbouring two adjacent rooms to each other. The walls may as well have been made of paper - but in all fairness it was the adults doing nothing to lower their own voices nor the children's so more a lack of manners on their part. But it was good to know we had the earplugs option - I was impressed with that! I personally don't think the property lends itself to having children stay there - at least young children who need to run aound and make noise! And yes, the bathroom facilities are excellent and plenty. Also, you can leave your luggage in the management's office after you check out which is a great, safe opportunity while you venture out before going to the airport. We had also asked if they had scales as knew our luggage was overweight. Sadly they don't BUT joy of joy before leaving for the airport we discovered the AWESOME Italian 'Fior d'Italia' restaurant downstairs actually have a huge old fashioned one outside their door! So we had the chance to weigh up and sort out before calling a taxi through 'Uber'. They are the best, cheapest and friendliest way to travel between the airport and the hotel in my opinion (cost us about US$25 although there was a promo so would normally have been about $34. But we had taken Lorries shuttle on the first trip which took FOREVER then we tried a taxi+BARTcombo to the airport which was ok, interesting but mucky and not much of a saving than the shuttle. Next time I would just use the Uber taxi app - totally awesome. Also, we had happy hour drinks one night at the Fior d'Italia downstairs and then the next night happy hour drinks and bar snacks and both visits top rate by way of service, quality and taste - I would highly recommend them. A visually beautiful restaurant too. I would not hesitate to stay at San Remo again - a special hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid corridor facing rooms IF possible.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Farmington, New Mexico
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Arrived before check-in. They stored our bags but in an extremely small room, bag upon bag, no tags or security except alot of video survellance cameras that made me wonder? Very, Very basic. Felt as if I was at a youth hostel in Europe except breakfast not included. We survived but would look elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere unless you get a GREAT deal
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Really great hotel. Warm, cosy, like the house of your grandmother. The rooms are very small, but in San Fransisco that is no problem. The rooms were very clean and the shared bathroom were very beautifull and very clean.

The staff was friendly and helped us with every question we had.

We loved the hotel, and we think it is a very good option - price/quality - for San Fransisco.

1 Thank NikkieDelclef
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed at the San Remo more than 10 years ago and remembered it with trepidation...thin walls and noisy guests made sleeping difficult. But we decided to give it another try this year and it was fabulous! They now provide ear plugs and I found that I didn't even need them. Better clientele? Perhaps. Or perhaps the lovely people at the front desk are keeping a tighter grip on things. Either way, I got 2 wonderful night's sleep on Fri and Sat nights! Love the free computer/printer for printing my boarding passes! And the all-day tea/coffee...wish it had continued later into the evening, though. No trouble getting into the shared showers or toilets.

Room Tip: I didn't mind room 5 but my partner would say to avoid it because there's no outside window.
1 Thank Barb W
Citlali C, Marketing at San Remo Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
We are very happy you came back to our hotel and found it has improved and found our staff to be so helpful and attentive. We pride ourselves on giving personal attention to each of our guests.

We greatly appreciate your comments and hope to see you back once more.
Reviewed July 9, 2014

My fiancé and I stayed here on the 15th and 16th of June(2014). We loved it! The people at the desk were very helpful and and happy to help. The hotel itself was beautiful and really kept the Victorian era essentials. In our room we had a sink and mirror with a double bed. It had antique style furniture and felt very cozy. The showers were down the hall but that is part of it's charm! We had fresh coffee every morning and cold water all day long. I found it interesting to see that some lager rooms had windows looking out to the hall. Also, the San Remo has alot of very nice paintings from the 1800's and some newspaper clippings from the 1950's(not quite sure of the exact years)on the walls. It is a mere 5 min walk to fisherman's wharf which is must when coming down to San Fran! Also everything is of walking distance and to really experience the area leave your car parked and walk!!!:) Oh yeah and prices were great! bring a sweater tho because at night it gets cold. In short, we had an amazing time!

1 Thank StephanieM85
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was a little nervous about this place - I wasn't even sure if I would have a window but I arrived rather early, my room was ready and I even had two windows and a ceiling fan. Very European - the bed was old but the room was quaint - ear plugs definitely required as the walls were rather thin but I grew accustomed to the rattles of the restaurant below and sounds of the cleaning staff in the morning and the showers etc...(of which were quite clean). It was a 10 min walk to Fisherman's Wharf and 5 min to the Powell-Mason Cable Car starting point which ran to downtown. There is a Trader Joe's 2 min as well as a Wallgreens 5 min away. The restaurant below was good - a discount on food if you tell them that you are staying at San Remo - they also have a good Happy Hour. The North Beach/Little Italy area is lovely - tons of restaurants to choose from. The staff were super helpful and arranged Lorrie's shuttle service to pick me up and take me to the airport.

All in all, I didn't want to leave San Francisco and in part due to this charming little hotel that was decently priced given the prices of most hotels. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: I think that rooms on the 2nd floor might be quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank GastroBri
Mount Olive, North Carolina
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

The San Remo is a historic hotel, constructed right after the great San Francisco earthquake and fire.

The positives include a great atmosphere, convenient location and attentive staff. Free WiFi, beverages and light snacks were provided. A deal with a local parking garage helps you get parking for $16 daily, which is not top bad in downtown San Francisco.

The negatives include a lack of accessibility for some patrons, a lack of privacy in the rooms and having to share a bathroom with other people.

The positives far outweigh the negatives and overall, the hotel is a cozy and affordable find in heart of the city.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family