San Remo Hotel
$233
$185
MysticHotel.com
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$199
$189
  • Breakfast included
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$259
$206
  • Restaurant
San Francisco Marriott Marquis(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$458
$409
Marriott Hotels
  • Bar/Lounge
InterContinental San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$348
$297
InterContinental
  • Pool
$349
$309
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$227
$195
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$294
$239
  • Restaurant
Hotel Rex San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$241
$187
Travelocity
1,131 results
All reviewsrooms are smallmassage chairbathrooms and showersthe penthousefisherman's wharfoldest italian restaurantfior d'italiashared facilitiesshared bathroomantique furniturepat's cafelaundry roomno elevatorold victorianturn of the centurywalls are thineuropean style hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I decided to give the San Remo 5 stars because what they do, they do very well. It is absolutely charming, the folks at the desk are very helpful and friendly, and the whole atmosphere is welcoming, homey, with some nice touches. Mini raisin boxes and mini soaps from Chinatown in the rooms; lemon water, coffee and tea in the lobby; books and guides for your perusal and a fantastic location are all nice features. On the downside, just so you know what you are getting into, the bathrooms and shower rooms don't have a sink so you are washing your hands in the corridor. Speaking of corridors, they are tiny and narrow, and if you have a thoughtless, noisy neighbor who talks loudly, you will not have peace. The rooms are very small. That said, I would absolutely stay here again next time I am in San Francisco. The area around Washington Square is charming, there are some terrific restaurants, including Mama's for breakfast, nearby, and you can walk to the Marina district or SOMA easily.

Room Tip: I would get a room with a sink.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rainsoaked
Reviewed May 20, 2013

There are two deal breakers for this hotel for some people that I will mention right off so you can stop reading if they apply to you. Nothing worse then reading a great review and then discovering the deal breakers.

1 - Shared bathrooms that have separate toilets and showers.
2 - No lift and you are greeted with a steep stair case to even reach the checkin desk.

If these two items are not deal breakers for you then read on.

The location is perfect. It is in North Beach a block from the cable car starting point for Fisherman's Warf and 3 to 4 blocks away from the warf itself. Coit tower is within easy walking distance as is the Curvy street on Lombard Street.

There are numerous restaurants and caves all around mostly Italian as this is the Italian quarter. Chinatown is only two or three blocks away as well.

The staff are extremely helpful and friendly. They are laid back but not to the point of not caring. Just the opposite. It front desk is manned from 8am - 10pm. During this time they have free hot drinks and ice water with lemon for free. They also have a computer with internet access and allow you to print off your boarding passes for free. Wi-fi is also free and we found it worked well in our room.

The showers and toilets are very nice as is the entire hotel in an old world sort of way. They have plants everywhere and there is nice wood panelling and stained glass windows in the shower area. They also have towels available to grab as you go into the showers. Spotless facilities everytime I used them. And because there are only around 4 showers on each floor they always had hot water and good water pressure.

There is a free electric massage chair on each floow and a window seat to relax in. I saw several people taking advantage of thèse areas during our stay.

There are no TV's anywhere in the hôtel but I didn't even notice this until we were leaving. Who needs a tv when you have San Francisco at your door.

And the price for this area is amazing. The rooms are small so if you bring a lot of stuff with you or you are a person of size it may also be a little two cramped for you. But just get one of the rooms that hold 3 and you will be fine as they have two beds in them and looked much bigger than the room we had. One of the nice things they do is if a room is not occupied they leave the door open so you can look in. It is like being at a friends house.

Trust me, if the deal breakers don't bother you then you will probably have a great stay here as we did.

And if you do stay hère Cafe Pat's is located just behind the hôtel by the cable car and they offer a nice breakfast. There is also a cafe just two blocks up from hère on Lombard Street that also has great healthy breakfast.

Room Tip: I would look to choose a room at the back of the hôtel mainly because they looked bigger. There are some rooms that didn't appear to have outside windows but did have windows looking onto the corridor. Odd I know but you will see what I mean should you stay there.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank RD K
Reviewed May 18, 2013

At first I was not so sure about this hotel, with no bathroom in the room, but decided to give it a try. Reviews were good. It really was a good choice for my sister and I. Hotel is a few blocks to Crooked Street, a block from Hyde Cable Car on/off, about four blocks to Fishermans Wharf & a bit further to Little Italy & Chinatown. The staff is great and very accommodating. The hotel itself is very quaint and filled with antiques. It was never a problem to use the bathroom facilities. The showers & toilet rooms were very clean and and well stocked.

It was very comfortable and other patrons were very friendly. It was like staying with family. We chatted with a woman who has been staying there for years. It is her retreat. I met the owners and were very impressed with them. They could not have been nicer. Will definitely make this our go to place to stay. It was better than the big name places at a much more reasonable price.

Thank you for making our stay great. Will see you in the fall.

Room Tip: Any room should be good. Outside walls have open windows for fresh ocean breeze.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Letstravelnow411
Citlali C, Marketing at San Remo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

We are so glad that you found us, and decided to try our hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and found us to be accommodating. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've stayed at the San Remo twice for several days each time. The first time I was nervous about staying somewhere with a shared bathroom. Not to worry. The refurbished toilets are actually charming, with a pull chain on an overhead box, just like at my grandparents' home when I was a child. A toilet and shower (in separate rooms) were always available. The hallway was lit at night, so I didn't need the flashlight I brought. I reserved a room with a sink, which was convenient and worth the extra money. The staff cleaned the room every day.

The hotel is filled with antiques, plants, charm, and helpful and very friendly staff. It is only a couple of blocks from Fisherman's Wharf. For early risers who want coffee before the hotel coffee is ready, a Starbucks is a short walk away. Mattress and pillows are not great, but the price is much less than at cushy hotels. (The fantastic massage chairs will fix up your back.) I even got an excellent discount for being a return guest. I'll stay at the San Remo on all my future visits.

Room Tip: If you can spend a little extra, a room with a sink offers privacy and convenience. Rooms are small, so try to get one with a window.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Carole C

We appreciate your comments about our staff and hotel. All of us are here to provide the best experience possible for our guests. We are glad that you enjoyed our massage chairs. Thank you again, and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was a lovely old hotel to stay in, very handy to Fisherman's Wharf and the ferries, although it had shared bathrooms. they were only a couple of doors away.
The rooms were very small, but adequate for what we needed as location was the main reason.
Highly recommend it to anyone wanting a hotel close to the wharf which is affordable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank julesb63
Citlali C, Marketing at San Remo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment. We love to hear back from our guests. If you want a central place with affordable rates, we are your hotel.

Come back soon!