“A gem of a hotel” 5 of 5 stars

San Remo Hotel
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A gem of a hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights. Passing through to see the main attractions of San Francisco. I was only in the hotel to sleep. It was extremely friendly. Rooms were small but did the job. Very basic with sink. Shared toilets and showers were immaculate with plenty fresh towels. Only criticism was mattress was very hard and lumpy. Wouldnt stay here if height of summer or staying longer than a few days but that's a personal choice of my preference for air con. All in all a fantastic stay here. I'd definately recommend.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank fionamarshall25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times, each one a terrific stay. When I go to San Francisco, I want to stay here for the location and price, but as importantly because of the international ambiance and general charm of the hotel. You immediately notice the international clientele. Here you get a room for what are likely budget motel rates, but the rooms are European pension decor rather than what's usual for a budget motel, a big attraction for me. Once I stayed here, I didn't bother with budget motels - why would I? I checked a couple of budget motels for price on my last visit, mid- October, but quickly realized I was wasting my time. So I can't make a definitive comparison. Sure, the toilets and showers are down the hall, but that has never been a problem on any of my visits. You can also get a room with a sink. Muni bus and (historic) streetcar transit are a couple of blocks away. When I'm away from home, this is one of my favourite places to stay. The others are in different cities.

Room Tip: Rooms with sinks are bigger; I travel alone and the smaller rooms are fine with me. I've not had...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Guy S
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

The first night we were in room 8 which is giving onto the street and it was very hard to get any sleep as the windows are very old and the street is noisy all the way through the night. Also the neighbors marching on the wooden floor above is wasn't helping. Then we moved to room 60 on the floor above and that was a lot better. The rooms are very small but the place has a lot of character and it has a very nice feel to it.

• Stayed October 2012
Mechelen, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We stayed at the San Remo hotel for 4 nights. Our daughter (1 year) stayed with us. The room was rather small, there is no place for an extra bed for the baby, she slept in the same bed as we did. There was no private bathroom or toilet, but it was very clean.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Laure-Erik
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

My daughter recommended this hotel, having stayed here herself.
On arrival, we struggled up the stairs with our heavy cases to the reception. (no lift)
The staff were friendly and showed us to the room- very quaint and oldy-worldy with no room to swing a cat! But hey it was a stones throw from fishermans wharf and for the price, we felt it a bargain! The toilets and showers were shared and along the corridor, but that was not an issue.
We were there 3 nights and enjoyed our time there. It was close to the cable car for down town etc.
Parking could be an issue as they do not have a car park, but for the one night we had the car, we parked in the local supermarket for $16.
I would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have windows to outside. So if that might be a problem, ask for a room with an outside...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Upon arriving at the hotel i was greeted with a pleasant looking building that was quite charming!
Inside the hotel was extremely rustic and had a funny scent to it.
My room was pretty small in size and only had a sink and the showers/toilets were communal.
The bed wasn't the most comfortable either.
This is all forgiveable given the location and price of the hotel!
It was less than a 5 minute walk to fisherman's Wharf which was fantastic, full of restaurants and sights! The Altatraz ferry was only about a 20 minute walk from here also.
All the local bars offered interesting characters from all over the world and were no more than a 10-15 minute walk away. Columbus avenue offered many beautiful restaurants with a social dine on the street feel and also had a little 'red light district' further from town if that is your scene.
Parking in San Fransisco was a nightmare with 2 hour parking slots free of charge that soon filled up around the hotel, fortunately the hotel offers all night parking for a mere £16 which is by far the cheapest you will find in San Fran and is visible from the hotel!
I doubt that you will find anywhere to stay in San Fransisco that offers better value for money and location than the San Remo!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Medford, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

A friend and I stayed here for an entire week (7th night free) and loved everything about this place. The rooms are small, the beds are great and the people that work here are helpful in every way. We did not mind having the bathroom/showers down the hall (they were kept very clean). It did help that we had a sink in our room (some rooms do not). This hotel is in the North Beach section of town so we ate our way through "Little Italy" all week. Many, many good restaurants within walking distance. The transportation is within a block, inexpensive and easy to use. You do need to be able to climb stairs to get to the rooms. We plan to stay here again and will tell all of our family and friends to give it a try.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends