“Incredible Value for the Money/Spotlessly Clean”
Review of San Remo Hotel

San Remo Hotel
Reviewed August 23, 2012

One cannot go wrong staying here. Incredibly reasonable. Lovely quaint rooms. Catherine at the front desk very helpful, as were all the personnel. Close to the Wharf(ugh) and North beach(Aplus).No restaurant adjacent to the hotel at the moment, but many others so very close.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Citlali C, Public Relations Manager at San Remo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

We do appreciated you staying with us, and all your positive comments. Keeping our guests happy is our true goal at all times. The Fior d'Italia restaurant will be reopening soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

A quirky Victorian hotel situated a stone's throw from Fisherman's Wharf (you wouldn't want to be closer, it's tacky and busy with tourists). The hotel is really a hostel with shared bathroom and toilet facilities and no in-house food options. There is however a coin-op laundry. The hotel is very clean and rooms are ample in size (though not spacious). This hotel offers fantastic value for money for those interested in seeing the sights. If you want a hotel based visit then this is definitely not the place for you.

I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a sink. Slightly more expensive but bigger.
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is the third time we've stayed at the San Remo hotel. We love it! It's charming, friendly and reasonably priced. The location is perfect for tourists who would like to hang out at Fisherman's Wharf, but is also convenient to the wonderful North Beach Italian restaurants. The staff has always been so upbeat and helpful - unlike other places we stayed on this trip. One woman happily wrote out elaborate bus/subway/walking directions to Golden Gate Park for us. There's a coin-op washer and dryer right on the main floor. They even stored our picnic lunch in the staff refrigerator for us. I couldn't be happier with the service I received there. Now, this isn't the place for everyone though. The first floor is a flight of stairs up and the bathrooms are down the hall (albeit, very clean with beautiful woodwork). We've never had to wait for a toilet or shower. And even though there are people in the halls, it was WAY quieter than the Holiday Inn Express that we stayed at near the airport the night we flew out. People who stay here - "get it." It's a very European feel. The rooms are very tiny, as other people mentioned. We've learned to book a room with an outside window and sink - I think they're only about $10 more. They're worth it for the air circulation and to avoid the claustrophobia feeling of the interior rooms. Another reviewer brings up a good point about the lack of sound privacy. We usually run ourselves so ragged in San Francisco that we don't have energy for much more than sleep, so that's ok for us. We'll continue to stay at San Remo every time we return to San Francisco.

Room Tip: choose an outside room with a sink
Reviewed August 14, 2012

my son and i arrived for a 5 night stay at this hotel... check in staff were really helpful, upon entering the room we were shocked by how small it was (a twin) and it was quite scruffy and tired, the sink was a bit rusty, decor quite old fashioned etc... However, we grew to love the quirkiness of the hotel, the endless supply of clean towels for the shared bathrooms (which were always clean) the massage chair on our floor, free wireless, the fantastic Pats Cafe just around the corner, the cable car turnaround nearby, Fishermans Wharf 5 mins away and the location which was fabulous! We would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I hate to call this "average" since it certainly was not average. It had charm WAY above most budget hotels -- or even ritzy ones. Certain inconveniences cause me to dock it a few points.

We stayed in this charming little spot over the weekend for the Outside Lands festival--it was the only place with rooms within our budget when we booked. It is clean, quiet (for the most part) and quaint, in a wonderful location for North Beach, Chinatown and the Wharf. (Not terribly convenient to get to the Outside Lands at Golden Gate Park, though.) The staff were friendly and helpful, and it really does look like a turn-of-the-last-century guest house. I'm into Victoriana, so this place was a dream for my love of all things Victoriana --but. I am also a 21st Century gal with modesty issues, George Costanza-esqe issues (see the Chinese restaurant episode), a real need for coffee the moment I arise, and fresh cool air to sleep in. I knew the gig about the restrooms and showers going into the place--I've coped at the Hotel 17 in NYC--and thought I could cope here too--but I traveled alone to NYC, and with my boyfriend on this trip to SF. What could have cozily housed the solo traveler was a little TOO small for the both of us. The only window our room had was out into the hall, and since we didn't want everyone to hear our business, we kept that closed. As a consequence, the air in the room was quite stuffy and hot all the time. The hotel had a romantic setting but a lack of privacy kept us from being romantic, if you catch my drift.

There was a nice little coffee house just steps from the hotel so the coffee issue was easily enough solved, if not ideal. My Costanza-like neuroses didn't make the situation with the restrooms very easy, either. You may not have this...issue, and that may not be a problem for you.

I'd go again, but I'd ask for a room with a sink (I hear some rooms had them) and a window opening into the street rather than a common hallway. I'd recommend this to the single traveler in a heartbeat. However, if having your own bathroom and some room to move is important to you, you'd be better off staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a sink and a window opening onto the street.
2  Thank RedDwarfSr
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at the San Remo. The location is excellent, we bought a transit pass and walked a couple blocks over to catch the bus or train downtown or anywhere in the city or simply wondered around the wharf area.

The hotel is very clean. The staff there are super friendly, knowledgable and helpful.

The only slight minus I can name is that the beds were quite hard. This was fine at first but by day 5 we were starting to feel fairly stiff. It's a minor complaint though, the place was still very cozy.

Concerning the hotel layout, the bathrooms are up the hall and not in the individual rooms. This seems like a very safe area of town to be in and the hotel itself is also secure, you must be buzzed in and walk by the reception desk or have a key to gain access then again walk by the reception desk upon entrance.

Room Tip: I highly recommend booking this hotel and when you get to San Fran, buy a bus pass because the city...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank CassK7
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Over a span of ten years I've been to San Francisco twice (from Singapore) and each time, I stayed at the San Remo. However, for my first trip, I did not book early enough in advance and part of the trip was spent staying at a dump on the dangerous Market Street for about the same price as San Remo.

I love San Francisco and for me, and I will visit again, and again, and I will again stay at the San Remo.

Room Tip: BOOK EARLY. Corner rooms with windows are the best.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple