“Elegant and Classy”

Ranked #27 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Elegant and Classy”
Reviewed July 1, 2010

I travelled to San Francisco to spend my weekend. It is really one of the most beautiful city in the States. The hotel was classy and elegant. The rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel offers wide variety of breakfast and the location of the hotel is just perfect. The food quality was good. Had a Nice view from my room. The staff were codial and helped me to book a tour to Alcatraz. The staff also suggested an interesting city tour agency.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Sonu78
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
Thank you for your many great comments. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in San Francisco, the beautiful City by the Bay ! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest here at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis, and we look forward to welcoming you back once again. Thank you and have a great day !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,025)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orange County
Reviewed June 30, 2010

This is my 2nd stay with this hotel in the last 3 months. Dan The front desk staff that night made our late check in very smooth and we got a great room on the high floor as we requested. housekeeping staff keep everything clean and all the bathroom supplies stocked. The bed is always very comfortable and I wish I can have one in my own bedroom. Great location and very close to the shopping area and attraction.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TimBudi
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
Greetings, thank you for sharing with us, we appreciate your feedback as our guest. We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. Have a wonderful day !
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Overall a nice stay and far more pros than cons. This is a large 1,500 room facility so the lobby is bustling at all hours. The weekend of June I was there boasted several baseball games at the nearby AT&T park as well as the City's gay pride festival and attendees of both events were noticeable throughout the hotel. This is not a gripe - the hotel seemed to accommodate the crowds well. Never more than 1 or 2 people waiting at check-in desk, the concierge was always available and staff throughout the sprawling lobby area offered assistance to me several times. My room was on the 38th floor with an incredible view to the Bay and the highrises of the financial district. Comfortable beds and modern fixtures. The air conditioning did not work very well and though I could open the window the room never felt quite right to me. I tolerated it and still slept okay for 2 nights but later I asked if I could move to a different room for the last 2 nights of my stay. With the change I sacrificed the view, but the second room did have working air conditioning and was more comfortable to me. With the window open in the second, lower floor room there was considerable street noise however with the window closed it all faded away. This has to be one of my best sound-proofed hotels I have experienced in a while! Also because of my complaint the hotel provided me a $30 credit which I thought was more than fair. Both rooms were similar though slightly different layouts. I noticed a spot in the carpet and a tiny little hole in one of the bed sheets but nothing along the lines of the wear-tear suggested by other reviewers here. The beds are quite comfortable and the 37" inch flat panel TV was nice to chill out to a night. There is free wifi in the lobby area and they offer a free computer airline check-in station with printers. There is a Starbucks in the lobby that is convenient. There are several other bars and restaurants but I did not try them. The entrance to the BART and Muni trains is only about 1/2 block away and the Powell Cable Car turnaround is about 2 blocks away. Across 4th Street is the Westfield San Francisco Center Mall, full of typical mall stores however it has some excellent restaurants. "Out the door" is a Vietnamese restaurant in the basement level and "Straits" is a Singaporean restaurant on the 4th floor. The mall also has a Bristol Farms market which is nice for groceries and delicious desserts. Overall opinion is that this is a large and busy but well-managed facility that can handlle the crowds effectively and still provide good customer service.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank friendlyinsomniac
Greetings, thank you for sharing with us, we appreciate your feedback as our guest. We are glad you enjoyed your stay here at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis ! Thank you once again !
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I stayed here 6/2/10-6/5/10 for a work conference.The room was really nice. A drawback was that we could not use the mini-fridge because it was full of drinks that if you took them out you had to pay for them. I wish for the price the fridge was usable. Also, I am a vegan and the food for the conference was awful. I could only have salad from the buffet, After notifying them of being vegan, they brought me a salad wrap. They were notified in advance of my diet. I went to a nearby mall food court to eat. Also, no free wireless internet, only in the common area. Otherwise it was pretty nice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
Thank you very much for staying us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your feedback.
Milw, WI
Reviewed June 18, 2010

Stayed May 29-June1 2010 on the 33rd floor with a corner suite---very stunning views and quiet room. Everything was clean and service was impeccable. Furniture was clean, but threadbare, could use replacement. Even the lobby area had worn furniture with pulled threads. For this caliber of hotel, the lobby is its first impression and though on first view it is nice, when you sit down, you see the wear and tear. Overall, I would return again because it was convenient to the M line, the trolley, shopping, and the Moscone Center and it was very clean with excellent service; which, in the end, means more to me than threadbare furniture.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I came for a conference and lucked out - had a corner room. The view was great, Unfortunately most of the conference was spent in the subbasement in meetings. The bed was nice. The arm chair is the room was not so big my feet did not touch the floor. Those of us below 5'8" sometimes have problems with this. Complimentary robes for the asking. My one complaint - housekeeping threw out my antiperspirant. My conference mates would not have been happy if I did not replace it. I had to pay hotel gift shop prices!
The conference food was good. The food service was friendly, fast, and professional. THe lobby bar had a very limited menu but adequate. The VIew lounge (at the top of the building) also had a limited menu but adequate. I never made it to the other restaurant. I dined out in San Franciso. Great food the be had.
Thely work working on the business center so computer service was for pay only off the lobby. Take your laptop or you are out of luck. There were no chairs if you needed to use the copmputers either.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
washington, dc
Reviewed June 8, 2010

This is one of the larger Marriott's I've stayed in and it's on par with the massive Hilton a few blocks away on O'Donnell Street.

The hotel entry for those arriving by taxi, shuttle (not the hotel's-- they dont have one) or car is a pretty unwelcoming under-building driveway but the lobby itself is quite nice and absolutely clean. Not a speck of dust or debris in the lobby. Check-in was relatively quick; our room was not quite ready but we arrived early and the staff shifted rooms around so we could still check in before normal 4pm time. We ended up in a junior suite (I have high status with Marriott and get upgraded a lot) which we appreciated as we needed space to work. Internet access is free for Marriott Rewards gold elites and $13/day for non-elites; it is wired in the rooms and free wi-fi in the lobby and lobby bar. Internet connection was reliable and relatively fast.

The rooms themselves are not remarkable; nothing wrong with them, just no flash or flair. You know you are in a Marriott, you're just not sure which one. If they added a little color to the design scheme, it would go a long way. But the rooms are very clean, especially the bathrooms, and the housekeeping staff is friendly, helpful and unobtrusive. The bed was *extremely* comfortable, one of the best hotel beds I've ever slept in (I travel about 90 nights a year so that's a lot of hotel beds).

The neighborhood isn't too convenient for walking to the attractions and it's about a $15 cab ride to Pier 39 and the other tourist magnets, but it is right across the street from the Moscone Center so if you are here for a convention, you can't get any closer. Do your research on neighborhood restaurants; many close at around 8pm as foot traffic really dies out after the workday, and others are just not that good.

The View lounge on the top floor is comfortable (the carpet is too loud though) and a great spot for drinks; the drink prices are a little high but not off the charts for a downtown hotel, and you're paying for the view anyway. Which, by the way, is stunning and you can't find a better place to enjoy a $14 martini. Plan your evening so that you can enjoy The View a little earlier; they get overrun with bachelorette parties, class reunions and other large, rowdy groups later in the night. It's hard to keep the romantic mood when 14 drunk college kids climb over your table to take pictures.

Service in all aspects was pretty good, nothing outstanding but that's OK, not everyone can be the best waitress, bartender or desk agent ever.

Parking is $60/day with taxes which is on par with the other San Fran downtown hotels and is also why we choose to walk everywhere and just not get a rental car. There is a rental car desk in the lobby so if you want to do a day trip, it's pretty easy.

All in all--- not crazy about the location, but that's mainly because it's not too close to all of the sights and attractions; it's downtown, and downtown San Fran pretty much dies after sundown. But it's a decent Marriott, up to the usual Marriott standards.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
Thank you very much for your comments. We value your opinion and all of your important feed back. Thank you once again for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis.