“Small but Cozy Haven”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Taipei, Taiwan
“Small but Cozy Haven”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I recall that the winter season at the Bay Area is usually quite mild – I was wrong this time. My family and I got to the hotel in the midst of a heavy downpour and near-freezing weather. Enough said that the first thing we want is a nice comfortable room and a hot bath. The staff got everything arranged in no time, and threw in free Internet as a bonus as well.

The location of the Marriott Marquis in San Francisco is near-perfect in my opinion. There are bus stops and a BART station within walking station, as well as a Ross store on the same block (yes, we needed to resupply our winter clothing, having made a bad judgment on the weather conditions).

Compared to the other US hotels I’ve stayed in, the room at the Marriott Marquis SF is a lot smaller; however, I think it’s the perfect size – big enough for luggage space and leg space while still giving the warm, cozy feeling. The sheets and pillows were nice and clean, providing a great sleeping environment for me. A pity that the room I stayed at had windows facing the indoor lobby so I wasn’t able to check outdoor weather by looking out.

Another good thing about the hotel is that a bunch of stores and restaurants were only a short walk away, so my elderly in-laws were able to enjoy shopping and dining fun without the need of transportation. It’s quite convenient to get all the shopping and souvenir-buying done while still having ample time to pack your luggage.

I also had a chance to visit the indoor swimming pool, which is located on the same floor as my room. Since I went in near closing time, I almost had the whole pool to myself. The only complaint I have was the need to climb the stairs to the fitness room counter to get towels.

In conclusion, I recommend this hotel for its great location and cozy room (though I really wish the pool could have longer hours).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear RCL_TPE,
Thank you for sharing your excellent review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis on TripAdvisor. We are so very pleased to read your wonderful compliments regarding or location and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the Marquis in the near future.
The San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,054)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I did some hotel hopping while I was on a trip to San Francisco recently and this gave me a chance to compare it to several hotels in the area. I thought this Marriott property really excelled in service. Every staff member (valet, bell hop, bell desk, concierge, front desk, etc) were extremely friendly and helpful. They were so friendly they made me feel like family as a guest here.

At peak times, it can get a little backed up trying to get your car in since there is limited real estate and cars coming,going, staging, etc.. Good thing is they have a staff member directing traffic at as you enter their porte cochere. For this size property, I actually found the lobby area and check in area's smaller than I expected. To be honest, it was somewhat underwhelming as I had higher expectations for some reason. In any case, it's easy to navigate through the lobby area because of it's simplicity and there is a lobby wine bar conveniently located between check in area and the various elevator banks. Elevators were plentiful and moved fairly rapidly as they were designated for various floors.

Rooms were comfortable and fairly good size for a downtown hotel. Likewise for the bathroom. Had no issues with room temperature, lighting, shower temperature or water pressure.

Being a convention hotel, it has the convention feel to it. Doesn't bother me though as sometimes I enjoy the large hotels. The fitness center was pretty good sized and had a good number of treadmills and ellipticals. The View Lounge at the top is a highlight with the large arched windows that allow you to gaze north and south. A can't miss visit for a drink while there.

This is a hotel I'll definitely return to again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear ez369,
Thank you for your 5-star review! We are delighted all aspects of your stay with the San Francisco Marriott Marquis were enjoyable. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and we can’t wait to welcome you back!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We visited San Francisco for my birthday weekend. We stayed in an amazing suite at the Marquis. The room was beautiful & we had a great view. The lobby was bustling every time we walked through, but as soon as you got onto an elevator that noise was gone. This hotel is in a great location near restaurants, target, and shopping. The staff was very helpful & able to answer any questions we had.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear HotelHoundd,
Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us and for posting a 5-star review! We are delighted to hear our team was able to make your special day even more special, and we truly appreciate your taking time to write about your stay. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Kind regards,
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed March 13, 2014

A friend and I stayed here for four nights and as a Platinum Elite Member, this was a great experience.....these folks did not disappoint....front desk, concierge, bellman,....all were polite and extremely knowledgeable and helpful with suggestions and directions....good location and very convenient to local transportation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city view up high and make sure you check out the "View" lounge....
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank bartpic
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear bartpic,
Thank you for being such a loyal Marriott Rewards guest and choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for recent visit to the City by the Bay. We truly appreciate your taking time to share your experience. It’s a pleasure to read our team was able to make this stay a memorable one. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

The hotel was quite nice. Great location. Clean. Conference area was a long way from rooms. It was a maze (space intended).
Loved "The View" on the top floor. Pricey! Go early to get a seat for time to have a drink or appetizer. Not many choices.
Also ate at the restaurant on the main level. Slow bit nice staff. Manager (?) was spending the time watching a game in the tv. If off work, should have taken his name tag off. Wait staff was very polite and friendly. Just things were slow.
Annabelle's across the street had great food and service.
Parking was outrageous. Half the price across the street one block on 4th and Mission.
Also

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear Venture1to1,
Thank you for taking the time to post your impressions as this assists us in further improving our services. It was pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay and interaction with our team members. However, I sincerely apologize for the timeliness of service you encountered in the Bin 55. This is not reflective of our standards. We appreciate you choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for your recent visit to the City by the Bay. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I live in the bay area and it's not often that I have a chance to stay at local hotels. This is an amazing property in the Marriott portfolio. They have an awesome view from the Sky Lounge on the 39th floor, where you can grab a drink and then sit right next to the landmark, huge, art deco window that spans from floor to ceiling.

As a premium member of the Marriott chain, I have access to their concierge lounge where I had a great breakfast complete with giant fresh strawberries and all of the usual favorites, such as eggs, bacon, and potatoes etc. The staff during this meal was exceptional! One lady (I didn't catch her name) with platinum blonde hair was just amazing, Very helpful, cleared my plates right away, and made my morning shine.

The property itself is large and has great parking, the staff are very friendly and professional.

Highly recommend this as a great place to stay south of Market.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet comfortable corner room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PVallest
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear PVallest,
Thank you for the 5-Star review! We appreciate you choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for your “staycation” and your continued loyalty to Marriott. It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed your stay with us. The View is an amazing place to visit and we are glad you had a chance to experience it. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Kind regards,
Xenia, Ohio
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Internet access 14.95 a day EXTRA. Sauna room 70.00 EXTRA. No breakfast unless you want to pay EXTRA. Coffee shops close early in the walking area. 3 Starbucks within 100 yards including one inside all closed @ 9:30. Could not get a cup of coffee in the night hours. One cup coffee maker that uses glass cups for coffee. Room had teaser snacks and drinks in the room for sale at crazy price. Sign says if touched it will trip the trigger to charge your credit card even if you don't consume the item. Feared the trip wire connected to the snack tray No microwave.
The good: Small refrigerator upon request no cost. Clean rooms.
All this for 189.00 and up a night.....

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Shagger2286
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Shagger2286,
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions regarding your recent stay at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. It was extremely disappointing to learn several aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced. We can assure you that your comments are being taken very seriously and we appreciate your honest and valuable feedback. Our goal is to address your concerns so we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.