“Convention Hotel”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #25 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Quintessential convention hotel. Lobby is like Grand Central Station, without comfortable places to congregate. Front desk is slightly disorganized but friendly. Rooms are standard Marriott. Granite countertop in bathrooom but standard tile floor and shower. Flatscreen and reasonable working space (though chair is not particularly comfortable). If you are attending a conference at the Moscone Center, this will serve you reasonably well. If you are visiting SF on other business or leisure, consider that this is a soulless place indeed. For location, cleanliness, and service, it's got 4/5; but against similar business hotels, it's the middle of the pack.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ChefDilettante
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear ChefDilettante,

Thank you for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis during your recent visit to the Bay Area. We realize you have many lodging options available to you when traveling and we appreciate you choosing Marriott. We want to provide a flawless experience for all our guests and we truly appreciate your feedback, so we may continue to improve our services.
Once again, we appreciate your honest and valuable feedback.
I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Marquis on your next visit to San Francisco.

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Marquis for two nights and it could not have been a more pleasurable stay. As soon as I walked through the door I was greeted by a nice lady called Amanda who assisted me at the front desk. Check in was efficient and I appreciated the fact that this lady took the time to explain everything to me in detail (breakfast, use of the business centre/ gym), being professional yet very friendly and making me feel very welcome, comfortable and valued. Looking around me, I noticed other guests smiling too whilst checking in, so whoever is running this department is going a sterling job (I believe her name is Shelly-I asked to see the manager upon check out to convey my thanks and appreciation for my excellent stay. Shelly showed up promptly and she was very approachable and gracious in accepting my feedback).

The rooms in this hotel are a good size and considering how big this hotel is, I didn't have to wait very long for the lifts. The housekeeping ladies will greet you with a smile and a cheery 'good morning' and breakfast at the concierge level is very good. It works like clock work-the staff there seemed to work so hard! People come, people go, tables are cleared very quickly and the employees even find time to have a chat with you to see if everything is ok and if there is anything else they can do for you.
...and this last sentence sums up this particular hotel for me: the rooms are very nice, the location is great but the staff are amazing-they make you feel welcome with their warmth and care and most importantly they make you feel very valued as a guest.

Should I visit San Francisco again, I will definitely stay at this hotel as, in spite of it being a huge convention hotel, it is a rather special place.
5 stars!

1  Thank MrsA666

Dear MrsA666,

Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. It gives me great pleasure to read such wonderful compliments regarding your experience, particularly your praise of our team especially Amanda and Shelly. I will be sure they are recognized in our next Staff meeting. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Marquis the next time your travels bring you to San Francisco.

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

As a businessman who spends most of his life in dull, featureless hotels, I have to say how refreshing it was to stay at this establishment. From the cheerful greeting by the concierge, the wonderfully efficient and polite front desk staff (overseen by the ever present, courteous and helpful Shelley), to the standard of cleanliness and facilities in the rooms, this hotel stands out like a beacon to the weary traveller. If you are fortunate enough to be staying here I can thoroughly recommend the breakfast buffet. A huge selection of delicious food coupled with efficient, non intrusive service sets you up for the day. So, if you find yourself on business in the Bay Area you should give serious consideration to staying here. I certainly will in future.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious and clean however the higher your room the better your view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Essexbcn
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Essexbcn,

Thank you so much for posting your wonderful review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis!
It is a pleasure to read such positive comments regarding so many aspects of your stay with us, from the attentiveness and efficiency of our team, amenities and our guest rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back to the San Francisco Marriott Marquis in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

The expectation at a Marriott Marquis is that the hotel will be one of the premier Marriott properties in the city. Maybe not to a JW level, but at least a somewhat upscale hotel. That is not the case with this property. The property is basically equivalent to a Courtyard. There is not a full restaurant on the property. There is just a bar with a handful of menu items and a very limited lounge at the top of the building. The fitness center is awkwardly built. Much of the space is wasted, making the center cramped and supporting limited equipment. If your intention is to be close to Union Square and the Moscone Center, then the property is probably fine, if you set your expectations correctly. If you're expecting an upscale hotel experience, this is not the property for you.

1  Thank travelinTexan_10
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear travelinTexan_10,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis on TripAdvisor. We want to provide a flawless experience for all our guests and we truly appreciate your feedback, so we may continue to improve our services.
We are concerned by your recent experience here at the Marquis. We always strive to provide the highest quality services, amenities and accommodations, and regret to learn your visit was not on par with your expectations. Please be assured your comments are being taken very seriously. Once again, we appreciate your honest and valuable feedback.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the San Francisco Marriott Marquis on your next visit to the Bay Area.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I just returned from a 3 night business stay at the Marriott. The location was ideal for the convention center, but I feel this is a nice location for tourism as well if you're into consistant, clean, & comfortable chain hotels when traveling. No problems with check in and was able to check in early. Unfortunately, I was assigned a handicapped room, but I didn't find anything of inconvenience that made me want to request another room.

Pros:
Convenient location with a cable car stop right outside, Walgreens and Target are right across the street, and loads of nearby restaurants and shopping.
The View bar on the 39th floor is worth a look and reasonably priced.
Wonderful sleep quality. I was on the 18th floor and had no problems with noise, plus there are those wonderful Marriott beds! I appreciate the curtain switch and light switch right by the bed.
In room coffee and toiletries are of good quality and were readily replaced.
Friendly staff at the concierge desk, the bell hop desk, and the door men were friendly as well.

Cons:
Had to pay for Wi-Fi, I feel like this should be included in the rather pricey rate.
Windows were very dirty and the towel rack was coming out of the wall (room 1834).

Overall, I had another great stay with Marriott and would recommend this hotel to friends traveling to the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BandN129

Dear BandN129,

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful impression of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis with us. It was pleasing to read you enjoyed our hotel and location.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Marquis in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

At the onset, it appears to be another standard business class hotel. Lobby is nice, staff is friendly, rooms are decently decorated.

What sets this hotel apart is the friendly staff. Upon check-in I was upgraded as a platinum member to a very nice room, in fact one of the nicest/largest rooms I've stayed in, so thank you for recognizing my loyalty with the chain.

The view from the top of the building is breathtaking and you should definitely visit the bar at the top.

The hotel is central to all the city has to offer, only downside is the crazy parking costs, but that's the norm in SFO.

Will definitely stay again if passing through and spending a night downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a view!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SMR_2

Dear SMR_2,

Thank you for being such a loyal Marriott guest and choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for your recent visit to the Bay Area. We strive to provide the best service to all of our guests and we are glad you agree. It was great to read you enjoyed the view from the View. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

On arrival at the hotel we were greeted warmly by reception, given maps and advice and free wi-fi added to our room. This was a really nice welcome!

Our room on the 18th floor was spacious and offered some views across the City and there was free coffee. The room was clean and nicely decorated. The bathroom with bath and shower above was OK, functional rather than luxurious.

The location of the hotel is great. Just off the main shopping area, close to the start of the Powell & Hyde cable car, next to the underground and frequent buses and trolley buses all to and from this location, making it a great base to explore from.

Venturing out of the hotel on an evening there's plenty of choices to eat or drink within walking distance. Our only frustration was that it was impossible to get a seat in the hotels rooftop bar as no matter what time we went up there it was packed out. However the view from up there is amazing so it's worth going up to take a look at the very least.

Despite this hotel being a huge hotel they were guest orientated and rooms good so I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013
Patti C, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Vic010,

Thank you for taking the time to post your excellent review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. It gives me great pleasure to read such wonderful compliments regarding so many aspects of your stay with us, from the attentiveness of our team, the cleanliness of our guest room and our fabulous location.
We look forward to having the honor of welcoming you back to the Marquis in the near future.