“Check your bill for incorrect charges”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #28 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ventura, CA
“Check your bill for incorrect charges”
Reviewed August 9, 2008

Stayed at this hotel for a business convention Aug 3 through Aug 7-total of 4 nights. Checked in at front desk and was told I was assigned 19th floor/city view, handicap room. Advised front desk I did not require such a room and they should reassign that type of room to another traveler with special needs. Reassigned the 11th floor/King size bed. Room was big, clean, and well laid out. Room Service and wake up calls great. Wednesday around Noon I returned to my room to find a worker about to set up a carpet cleaning machine...WHY ? I told him to leave since I needed to make some phone calls. He must have come back later because the carpet appeared to have been cleaned. I checked out Thursday and did not look at my bill close enough. On Wednesday, there was a charge made against my room for the Refreshment Center for $10.96. Guess who helped themselves to a beverage !!! I called the hotel billing number and they stated the bill would be adjusted. It alarms me to know that people are coming in and out of my hotel room and things are being charged without my knowlege. I expect more from Marriot and so should the public. As for San Francisco; its a nice city with some wonderful places to visit.

• Liked — nice room and easy access to downtown
  • Disliked — incorrect charges on my accoun
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank tim805

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,055)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston MA
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We were there for six nights for a convention. This hotel has a great location and we could walk to Bart, bus, and trolleys, Cable cars are also close by but use only if you are a first time visitor to San Francisco....the wait if too long for anything but a one time ride. No one we were with, ate breakfast in the hotel, it was too expensive. We went diagonally across the street to Mels Diner where you could get breakfast for $10 a person

Drinks in the 39th foor lounge are a one-time must but very expensive as is the bar downstairs. The "sports" bar on the corner is owned by the Marriott but is less expensive for cocktails. A lot of people also ate there. We didn't so can not give a review. Please check my restauarant reviews...we had some fantastic meals including Frascati, which any of you "foodies" will love.

This was your standard four star convention/business hotel with a lot of activity in the lobby (which I like). Room was very clean and beds were soooo comfortable. Since we had another week down in San Diego and had four suitcases we did ask for a corner room since we couldn't fit in luggage and clothes. By the day after check-in they had accomodated us.

We would stay there again.

• Liked — Location Location Location
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Seattle
Reviewed July 29, 2008

This is pretty much what you expect from a Marriott - nice rooms, nice hotel, but a bit overpriced. I'm not talking about the rates as I always book through priceline but am talking about their bars/restaurants/convenience store. 14 for a cocktail is a bit much. 42 is the cheapest bottle of wine you can get and that's for regular stuff. Cheese plate for 12 that gives you maybe 6 pieces of cheese. I would say if you want a nice place to stay go here but bring all your own stuff.
Avoid the bistro/bar accross the street - is pretty crappy. There is a sports bar on the same street just down from it - try there.

• Liked — close to everything - union square, chinatown, etc.
  • Disliked — in downtown so you see lots of bums at night
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Lamda
Mountain View, California
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Major marriott member. Stayed on award points.

GREAT location for business - right near market st. and convention center. Stayed for a 'staycation' near home. Most of the action for tourists is a $15 taxi ride away - no big. But DON'T walk around outside at night. You won't be robbed, but it's ugly.

I HATE the lobby of this hotel - it's small, round, with a marble floor that echos disconcertingly. But you're not there for very long.

Nice layout with a restaurant in a high-rise atrium up a set of escalators. Really nice, but why eat there if you are in SF?

The room was fine/nice with everything I expect at a Marriott, including the shower that should have been replaced when they renovated the hotel.

I'd LOVE to stay here on business.

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank RichRichRich
Ottawa
Reviewed July 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed here last week for 4 nights. He was attending a conferance there, it was our first time in the city. This was the perfect location for us, as I could keep myself entertained while he was working. Everything is very close and easy walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. I did not enjoy the breakfasts at the hotel, food was poor quality. Instead I regularly went to the upscale food court across the street in the lower lever of Westfield Mall, great selection and good value. I fell in love with the cream puffs from Bearded Papa, made fresh all day. The hotel is a heavily used conference hotel, and therefore, very busy and average quality. However, we were pleased with the service and staff were all helpful. We spent very little time in the room, so the location was key for this trip. Would recommend based on this factor alone.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — too busy
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank pernicketytraveler
Redwood City, CA
Reviewed July 6, 2008

This hotel is right across from the Metreon and a block from the new Nordstrom's mall (Westfield). Couldn't be more convenient to see a movie at the Imax or regular theatre, ice skate or bowl at Yerba Buena, shop at the mall, and walk a few blocks to Union Square. For tourist families, it's ideal! The staff were incredibly friendly and we never had any problems with cleanliness or service.

Family things within a block or so:
--movies (one at Metreon and one at Westfield)
--ice skating
--Yerba Buena park
--bowling
--Zeum
--MOMA
--cable car station
--BART station

We actually took MUNI to the wharf, but you can also take the cable cars. Easy $1.50 on the old Italian(?) buses to get to Fisherman's Wharf, Maritime Park area, Ferry Building, Pier 39, or Ghirardelli Square. Kids were $0.50.

Hotel negative: The only thing is that they charge $55 for parking for the night. Figure that in to your total price for the night--most hotels charge a lot, so I guess I was used to it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Firstmmo
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We were at a huge convention at this Marriott, and for a hotel of this size, we were very impressed. Efficient check-in (surprise!), quality housekeepers, big enough fitness center, and within walking distance (or streetcar/BART/metro distance) to everything you'd want. Good place to stay.

• Liked — Location, Decoration, Price
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business