“Labor Day Weekend Mini Vacation”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #27 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Labor Day Weekend Mini Vacation”
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed here Labor Day weekend. We arrived early on Friday morning and because my husband is a Marriott member we were able to check in early. BONUS! The hotel is located in downtown and relatively close to everything. Although we didn't have a city view the room was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. On Sunday morning we left early to a wine excursion when my friend realized she left her diamond pendant in the room. We called the hotel and were transferred to the housekeeping Supervisor. They went out of their way to search for it and put in a safe envelope for us! They even called us to let us know they found it! Great customer service on their end! We loved the View lounge located on the rooftop of the hotel!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Patti C, Executive Office at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Yolie D,

Thank you for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis for your Labor Day weekend and taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are so happy to read you enjoyed your stay and our fabulous location! It is always wonderful to hear stories such as yours regarding our staff of whom we are very proud. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,091)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located in San Francisco SOMA, close to SFMOMA, Mascone Center, Yerba Buena, Market St, and within walking distance from Union Square.
The rooms are very comfortable, but not all have view of the city. The fitness room is large and better equipped than most hotels. Service is fast and resourceful. The hotel also provide convenient shuttle to SFO airport for $19. Watch out for wireless internet fee - $14 for 24 hrs.

Room Tip: see if you can get a room with city view, on the higher floors.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Patti C, Executive Office at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Avi-x40,

Thank you for posting your excellent review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. It gives me great pleasure to read such wonderful compliments regarding your experience, particularly your praise of our staff, newly “rejuvenated” guest rooms, fitness center and our wonderful location.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the San Francisco Marriott Marquis very soon.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Was in SF for a meeting so I wanted to be close to the convention center. This hotel was one of several within walking distance. Close to shopping and many restaurants. Easy walk to Chinatown. Room size was fine. What you'd expect from a Marriott. Housekeepers were good and no complaints with the room. What I thought was awful were the bath towels. Very thin and worn out. Time for the Marriott to get some new bath towels. Otherwise, the stay was fine. Nothing stood out. Do check your folio closely. I was charged a "refreshment center" charge when I did not take anything from the minibar. Front desk removed the charge with no hassle.

• Stayed October 2013
Patti C, Executive Office at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear love_HNL,

Thank you for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis during your most recent visit to the Bay Area in conjunction with your meeting. We appreciate your post to TripAdvisor and your most valuable comments.

I was so pleased to hear you enjoyed your room and our wonderful location. All of our rooms have been recently “rejuvenated”. However, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the condition of your bath towels. We are in the middle of our process of replacing our towels. I do hope we can welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I first stayed at a average hotel near the Fisherman Wharf and then I moved to SF Marriott Marquis. The lobby is crazy and huge with people everywhere. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There is a restaurant/bar on the top floor with a 360 view of city. Another treat is the buffet breakfast in the Mission Grill on the second floor. They make omelets to order that are to die for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Patti C, Executive Office at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Mildred H.,

Thank you for posting your review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate your comments. It was a pleasure to read you enjoyed our newly “rejuvenated” guest rooms as well as our wonderful buffet breakfast in the Mission Grille Restaurant. I must agree the View Lounge on the 39th floor has amazing views of San Francisco and the Bay.
I am sorry you found our lobby large and busy. We had redesigned our lobby as part of the Marriott Greatroom concept which allows our guests to work and play in their own way. Above all we want our Greatroom to be welcoming, so our guests can gather and collaborate. To meet these needs we added our Bin 55 Restaurant and Wine Bar and complimentary wireless internet.
I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Warm Regards,

The San Francisco Marriott
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is a nicely kept well-located hotel with excellent friendly customer service. The floor plans are not a standard quad layout, but rather a bit of a maze. There are three stacks of elevators, low rise, mid rise and high rise.I had a room on the 15th floor, so was in the mid rise stack. Upon exiting the elevator on my floor, there were twists and turns and various hallways to navigate before finding my room. But that was my fault b/c I requested to be located away from the elevators and the ice machine. Quick efficient check-in and check out. Sundries shop open until 10pm. Blow dryer that actually worked and had some horse power. I only had banquet food at a function in the hotel, and it was OK. Did not have any room service or eat in the hotel restaurant, there are so many great dining options in the area! I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a city view, not the rear of the building.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Hillgirl8024,

Thank you for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis during your visit to the Bay Area. We truly appreciate you posting your review on TripAdvisor.

It is a pleasure to read such positive comments regarding so many aspects of your stay with us, from the attentiveness and efficiency of our team, the amenities in our guest rooms to our gift shop.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the San Francisco Marriott Marquis in the not to distant future.

The San Francisco Marriott
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Pro
1. Conveniently located next to the Moscone center
2. Starbucks on site
3. Excellent front desk service

Cons
1. The room isn't worth $500 per night (the group rate is around $300).
2. There are 100+ room per floor. It may take forever to walk to your room.
3. $10 fee for receiving a package!! (When I asked if the hotel can receive the package fir me, noone mentioned about this fee!!)

• Stayed October 2013
Dear pinyohiso,

Thank you for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis during your visit to the Bay Area. We truly appreciate you posting your review on TripAdvisor and your valuable comments.

We are happy to hear you appreciated the hotel location and your words concerning our staff efficiency are much appreciated! I was, however, sorry to read about the way we handled your inquiry about the fee for receiving a package. I will be sure to follow-up with the department manager and again apologize for the frustrations you experienced. We also understand value is very important to our guests, especially in San Francisco, and we are constantly conducting price comparisons to ensure we are competitively priced.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the San Francisco Marriott Marquis on your next visit.

Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Got a room on 25th floor. Decent view. But to close to the elevators.So if you are sensitive for sounds, get a room far away from the elevators. Really nice to supply with nice body lotion and really good soap. Gym above average compared to other hotel gyms.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Joakim R.,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. We appreciate your positive comments.

I was so glad you found the hotel to be a great base for your visit to San Francisco. Indeed, the hotel is located just a short walk to the Moscone Convention Center for our guests attending a conference. We are also steps away from Union Square, Cable Cars, transportation and wonderful restaurants. Thank you for mentioning our fitness center, we have just completed a “refresh,” and am happy to hear you enjoyed it.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the San Francisco Marriott Marquis in the near future.