San Francisco Marriott Marquis
$179
  • Restaurant
Comfort Inn by the Bay(San Francisco)
$209
  • Breakfast included
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$399
$189
  • Room Service
Club Quarters Hotel in San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$237
$188
  • Restaurant
Hotel Rex San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$257
$200
  • Restaurant
InterContinental San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$195
InterContinental
  • Pool
$405
$389
  • Restaurant
InterContinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$265
$212
InterContinental
  • Room Service
Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$237
$204
$406
Hotelpower.com
  • Pool
6,420 results
All reviewsthe view loungem clubthe concierge loungegreat locationunion squareconvention hotelmoscone centertop floorlarge hotelbusy hotelcorner roommarket streetbusiness triplobby barbart stationper daycable car
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Very much a convention hotel. Very near convention..easy walking to convention center..Great excess to nearby restaurant and shopping. The Metro center is a plus. Hotel restaurant has a lot of options. Very Much a JW type of choices. Enjoy the open lobby space

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank foxcents
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stay in San Francisco at least every month for a getaway weekend and have stayed at numerous hotels in the Union Square SOMA area... but have never tried this one. The Marriott Marquis is definitely one we will return to. Convenient, clean and friendly staff. Easy to get everywhere from here. One tip: don't park at hotel, but park at large lot nearby and save quite a bit of money. Otherwise this was a perfect hotel for all our activities: easy for mass transit, walk to a Giants game and to the Embarcadero to bike along the coast to the GG Bridge, lots of restaurants nearby and the SF MOMA. Typical Marriott room: bathroom was roomy and bed was comfy. Our view wasn't the greatest, but we've seen the city skyline before and all you have to do is go upstairs to the lounge to see one of the best views in the city!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CMSP624
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear CMSP624,

It is such a pleasure to read, from someone who has stayed at many San Francisco hotels, that you enjoyed your stay and will return. Also, your alternative parking tip is an excellent and convenient choice.

See you again soon!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Every year, I take 8 - 12 high school students from our school's journalism program to the national journalism convention. This year's convention was held at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis.

First, let me explain that the property, the convention area, and the rooms were fabulous. Our bedding was so luxurious that I was ready to spend a thousand dollars to recreate the experience at home in my own bedroom using items available in their catalog. Between the down comforters and the wonderful sheets and pillows, I was living in luxury for those three nights.

The problem involved the hotel's lack of response to customer needs. Picture this: 3,000 - 5,000 high school students and their teachers converge on this hotel for the convention that has been planned years in advance. In our case as with hundreds of other schools, our reservations are made in excess of 9 months prior to the event. In other words, nothing happened at the last minute to justify room problems. In 23 years of attending the national journalism convention, I haven't seen problems like this occur.

Here's what I faced.

All four of my rooms (3 student rooms and my room) were located in different towers and different floors throughout the hotel even though they were all quad rooms that had been booked together 9 months earlier. How in the world was I supposed to supervise my students to ensure they were in their rooms at curfew and not making noise to disturb other guests? Rooms are ALWAYS housed together to avoid those types of problems with this type of convention. Secondly, all the rooms had mini bars that were open and available to the high school students. Mini bars! Our registration form sent directly to the hotel (not to the organization handling the convention itself) clearly had us label whether rooms were for adults or students. Why would the mini bars be in the student rooms? At least, they could have been stripped of alcohol or locked so students could not access them. Hotel management should have had no problem identifying which rooms should not have mini bar access.

To further complicate our stay, I had reserved my room for an extra day on the front of our stay to ensure we had a "home base" when we arrived in San Francisco at 9 a.m. after flying across the country. The students and I would be tired, need to put our luggage someplace accessible, need to freshen up, etc. I had prepaid for all our rooms with a school check sent at least a month earlier and discussed the situation with the reservationist to ensure my room would remain vacant the night before we arrived and available first thing in the morning. As you can probably guess, the hotel gave away my room at 6 p.m. on the first night so we arrived to find no home base, no place to freshen up, no place to relax until all our rooms were ready. If I hadn't worked so intensely with the reservationist and prepaid (not with a credit card to hold the room but with a check that had cleared weeks prior), I would have understood. What a mess. I did receive a refund for that one night, but we didn't need the refund weeks later; we needed a room right then.

If I visit San Francisco again and need only one room for myself or my family, I will stay in the Marriott Marquis. If the national convention is held at this hotel again or if I am ever in a position to vote for or against a San Francisco hotel site, I certainly will not

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed in a corner so you'll have two walls of windows overlooking the city. The view was beautiful.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Denise R

Dear Robertsghs,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor. We appreciate your candid and valuable feedback as this will help us to improve the guest experience. I would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the problems during your stay and invite you contact us directly should you wish to discuss these matters further.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed July 12, 2013

As others have said, this is a pretty typical Marriott. My only real complaint is the size of the bed. We had a two double bed room instead of one king. My wife and I are not large people and it was a little too cozy sharing a double bed. I imagine that they can't fit two queens in the same area, as the two beds did take up a lot of space. The room was clean and fairly quiet and we were able to get a refrigerator delivered -- it would be nice to be able to request this when booking, though.

This is in a pretty good location, with lots of shopping within a short walk. We did not make it to the lounge, which boasts great views and overpriced drinks.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear BrewingRover,

Thank you so much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. During our recent room renovations we were able to add additional room types to give our guests more choices. We now have rooms with two queen size beds and rooms with one king and a sofa sleeper in addition to our king and double/double rooms.

Thanks again for your review and for choosing the San Francisco Marriott Marquis!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I arrived at 23:00 last night. There was nobody to help with my bags and no offer to show me to my room. Loud Techno Pop music was being blasting out from the lobby speakers which was completely inappropriate for, what is supposed to be, a luxury hotel largely occupied by business people attending a convention.

The eleveator is located at the end of the building resulting in a long walk to my room which is all the way down the opposite end of a freezing cold corridor. Although I have 2 key cards, neither of them will open the door to my room which means I now have to go all the way back to the lobby and stand in line for 15 minutes to get help.

When I get into my room, the view out of the window is of a service roof with trash and littered broken emtpty vodka bottles (see pics). There is almost no natural light, the wifi is $15 per day and there is not even a courtesy bottle of water in the room.

This hotel is worth no more than $100 per night, not $300. I will not be staying in a Marriott again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank wombletrip

Dear wombletrip,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post your review and for your valuable feedback. I was very disappointed to read that you had a poor service experience during your stay as this is not the usual high level of service Marriott and the San Francisco Marriott Marquis is known for. I will be sure to share your comments with our team and invite you to contact us directly should you wish to discuss your stay further.

Please accept our apologies we hope we can once again welcome you back to San Francisco.