“Unbelievable upgrade” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Unbelievable upgrade”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on 1st of April. At checkin was told I would go wow when I opened the door to the room. He was not wrong, I was upgraded from a guest room to a presidential suite on the 33rd floor. A sitting room, dinning room, bar, two balconies, one on either side of the sitting room. Then a whirlpool bath, walk in wardrobe. Even in a mini bar which is unusual in a marriott. As a gold member access to the lounge which had a great selection of nimbles, beer and wine. The bar on the 39th floor is great for amazing views. The hotel is in a great location to explore San Francisco. The upgrade really made my stay but the hotel was good even without the upgrade.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (935)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

While a bit run-down in furnishings, the Marriott in downtown San Francisco makes up for it with the location right next to the Moscone and in the middle of the other big downtown hotels. You can get anywhere with a five minute walk.

The lobby is not that comfortable, but otherwise there's ample seating available. The second floor meeting rooms are old but serviceable. The top floor cocktail bar, "The View", is a popular hangout during any downtown conference.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank jlaakso
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Pros: The rooms are nice, nothing too special, but decently sized. The views from the top floors of the hotel are gorgeous over the city. The location is convenient to the convention center. I was also impressed with the water pressure (even though the drains couldn't always keep up with the shower). I rarely felt like I could hear anything from the neighboring rooms, so good sound insulation.

Cons: Entire fridge is taken up with a mini bar, and they post a note that says any personal items will be thrown out daily. There is a note that you can request a fridge from housekeeping... I hate this practice. Either use *part* of the fridge with mini bar, or provide both standard. Don't make it my duty to track down a fridge when there's technically already one in my room. The in-room internet left something to be desired. It worked consistently, but was extremely slow. My one major complaint was that the cleaning staff is a bit over-zealous. If the "do not disturb" sign is on my door, it means please, do not disturb; not, please knock, and call my room to see when you can come clean (while I was on a business call on my own phone). This happened 2 out of the 5 days I stayed here.

Overall, if I'm in the area again I might stay here, but I'll probably try another hotel nearby first.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My family stayed here for one night 3/29. Every staff member who we encountered was wonderful, helpful and friendly. Our room was very lovely, recently renovated I think. 23rd floor. Amazing view, comfy bed, very clean. The reason for the 4 stars is that the parking price was outrageous. We paid over $200 for our room and then the parking was another $70. I know this is San Francisco, but come on! Should be some kind of discount for Marriott Rewards members. My husband stays at Marriotts frequently for business trips.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CArunninglady
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Would highly recommend this hotel for its great location. It is located within a few minutes walk to the shopping area and access to all of the the different public transport available, and also about 10-15 minute walk to the Ferry building. So a perfect location for tourists, nothing is too far from you either on foot or public transport.

The hotel is clean and the rooms are spacious, with lots of facilities including a swimming pool to help you unwind after walking all of those hills!

Some of the reviews mention about long queues at check-in, we were lucky and didn't get stuck in these - but they were evident at times.

Pros - central location, given access to the whole city - clean and spacious room - oh and an excellent concierge that went to great lengths to ensure our time in San Fran was well spent

Cons - more aimed at the business market, so prices in the bar are very expenses and free wi-fi only available in the bar! (so check out the local bars for cheaper drinks and free wi-fi)

Would I stay here again? Absolutely, due it its location

Room Tip: Go for a high floor number for better view (we were on the 19th floor)and also get a room on the Mus...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

No one wants to sick when away from home much less in a hotel room. Our vacation week in San Francisco did not go as planned. Having said that, the hotel staff was just incredible. Chicken soup brought to our room, extra bottles of water and checking up on our while recovered. The hotel staff was the most friendly I have ever experienced.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Steven0528
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights on a weekend trip with my significant other who was in town for a conference the following week. Our corner room on the 19th floor was clean and spacious. The bed was comfy and the entire room felt very up to date - no stains, tattered upholstery or any noticeable signs of aging. We didn't hear any hallway noises or sounds from other rooms. Overall very comfy.

It's hard to beat the location of this hotel in terms of shopping - it's right on Union Square. Also major conference hall the Moscone Center is a few minutes walk. Right around the corner from the Powell BART station and an easy walk to the financial district. Mission, North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf are all a quick cab ride away.

The second floor concierge lounge was great - endless supply of bottled water, Starbucks coffee, tea and there were evening snacks/dessert as well as breakfast every morning. Breakfast was mostly continental plus scrambled eggs which makes a huge difference I think! However there was a full service Starbucks in the lobby too for all your specialty drink needs.

As with most big city mega hotels, you have pay an arm and leg for one day of wifi - so I'm never happy with that. And I felt our room was a little too warm most of the time, no matter what I did with the thermostat. Sometimes I felt like the sheets were cotton + polyester because I woke up hot a few times. The biggest complaint I had with this hotel was the finicky nature of the hot water - one time I could not get the water hot at all. The rest of the time it took maybe 5-10 minutes of wasting water (a scarce resource especially in CA) for it to get hot. We called the desk and they said "did you let it run a while?" - so that's obviously just how it works. When it gets hot, it is in deed HOT no problem there. I just got a little impatient waiting and that one lukewarm shower left an impressions.

Overall I would stay here again and recommend it to large groups.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business