“excellent business hotel”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #27 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 11, 2012

My four night stay at this hotel is unusually long for me, so I greatly appreciate the consistently helpful assistance from the staff, including a very early check in. My room had a comfortable and spacious work station as well as a reading chair and excellent lighting. Outlets for electronics were helpful, too. The location was great with the adjacent convention center and good restaurants and other hotels all around. Shopping within walking distance was a mixed blessing as I spent more money than I had planned to spend! Conference rooms for my meetings were well staffed with good food served for breakfast and lunch meetings. I will support this venue within my organization for a return visit for our annual meetings.

Room Tip: A corner room, if it fits your budget or you get an upgrade, provides great sunlight and views of th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear Markey2,

I am so happy to read that you enjoyed our rooms, staff, service and location. We can't thank you enough for your review and your desire to return to the San Francisco Marriott Marquis.

See you soon,

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We spend 2 nights at the Marriott Marquis in San Francisco before heading to Napa. The chose the hotel because it was in a great location, close to public transportation and Chinatown was very walkable. The hotel was very comfortable, exactly what we expect for a Marriott property. A highlight was the bar on the top floor. Great drinks and amazing views!!!

Room Tip: We had a lovely room on the 9th floor, the windows also open so it was lovely to get fresh air in e...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Lovick16,

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis would like to thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am glad you had comfortable stay and that you love our location. We hope you choose to stay with us the next time you visit San Francisco.

Marquis

Reviewed November 11, 2012

stayed here at the end of september. First impressions were very good. Staff very helpful and courteous and could not do enough to make our stay pleasant. Felt it was a bit pricey for breakfast drinks etc but only compared to the UK. Starbucks was excellent value and we had breakfast there two mornings. We had a room on the fifth floor which was pleasant but yes the furnishings need to be updated the orange mustard brown interior was just too much. The area was very central and union square is only a few minutes away. There are good restaurants round about so no worries about where to eat.
good location, nice hotel ,lovely people. would definitely come back here. San Francisco is a fabulous city.

Room Tip: We had a larger room. I dont know if it was a complementary upgrade but it looked bigger than what I...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Dear finbob,

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis appreciates the time you took to post your review. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your stay in San Francisco and at the Marriott Marquis.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I'm super loyal to Marriott as a Platinum Premier ... Its in a good location - between Market and Mission Sts on Fourth.

As for the actual hotel, its a convention/meeting type hotel. Very busy lobby. All the time. Rooms are small but do the trick.

Even with my status, no upgrade to even the Concierge level. Bonus that the Concierge lounge is open 7 days a week. Friday morning quiet, Saturday morning PACKED.

Gym is ok. Has all the regular equipment. Some have tv's that work.

Biggest issue with the hotel was the cab line. The doorman was more interested in getting people to take the sedan service than trying to wave down taxis. I get that taxis are sometimes tough to come by - but we waited 40 minutes (when we got there we were fourth in line....). Watched the doorman count his wad of cash tips four times openly. That's a bit tacky.

I would come back but we've enjoyed the JW Marriott near Union Square a bit more.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear FlyDC,

I am so sorry to hear that we were not able to upgrade your room during your recent stay. Your loyalty to Marriott Hotels & Resorts is much appreciated as is your valuable feedback.

I completely understand how frustrating waiting for a taxi can be and San Francisco is working hard to address our cab shortage. In the mean time I will ask our bell desk and door staff to work more closely with the city's cab drivers to help reduce the wait times.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

I did a no-no and checked out with my car keys still in the room. I did not realize it until going through the airport security. I called the Marriott and the maid had already turned them into lost and found. The hotel delivered the keys to the airport within 35 minutes. I tipped the driver and told him if there was an additional charge that the hotel had my credit card number and to add it to by stay. There has not been an additional charge.
Thanks Marriott

Room Tip: Ask for a mini-fridge if you need it. Do not store your stuff in their pay for use bar fridge.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear decaydoc,

Going the extra mile is one of our mottos at the San Francisco Marriott Marquis and we are so happy that we could get you your keys before your flight departed.

Thanks for staying with us and for your great Trip Advisor review. We hope you come back soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a week while at a conference. It is very conveniently located and comfortable. Staff and housekeeping were very pleasant. Breakfast was very expensive. Loved the view from the bar on the 39th floor.

Dear Teresa C,

Thank you kindly for your Trip Advisor review and for your excellent rating. We work hard to please our guests and we are truly glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Met my friend in San Francisco for our Nov birthday celebration. Enjoyed the accommodations at this Marriott and the location was good. The concierge was most helpful in booking dinner reservations and info on getting around in the city. My friend had used the spa/pool on other visits and said it was good and free. Friendly, professional staff including housekeeping. Had breakfast at Mel's Drive In a block away and it kept me going till dinner!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends