“Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Denver, Colorado
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is right in the Financial District and close to shopping, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the Moscone Center and the BART. It's within walking distance of the Ferry Building and Chinatown as well.

The rooms are nice, but nothing spectacular. However, the staff was very attentive and the public areas were quite comfortable. If you need to get some work done, but don't want to sit in your room doing it, check out the second floor, where you'll find plenty of sitting areas.

You'll also find a full-service Starbucks in the lobby.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear KarenTravels80122,

Thank you so much for your review of the San Francisco Marriott Marquis. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel's location and attentive staff. You will be happy to know that the SF Marriott Marquis is scheduled for a complete room’s rejuvenation in 2013 and we believe our renovated rooms will knock your ski-boots right off!

Kind Regards,

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (934)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This Marriott lives up to the Marriott promise. The facility is clean, well kept, and meets the needs of business travelers. With it's direct link to Moscone Center, this Marriott is the best place to stay when visiting San Francisco for a convention, however, it is not a destination hotel for weekend getaways, etc. There are far better hotels that serve that purpose.

Staff was great. We were placed in a room next to the elevators, and the front desk staff moved us without question. It was apparent from the bellman that moved our bags that they appreciated our business. Nice touch.

This Marriott also has easy access to both BART and Muni Metro. As a native San Franciscan, it makes getting around much easier. The rooms were reasonable by San Francisco standards, but overall the lounges and restaurants are pricey. If you have expense constraints or are on a budget, there are great options nearby for eat and drink.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms adjacent to the elevators.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Bobaloo071,

Thank you for staying at the SF Marriott Marquis during your recent trip. It means a great deal to us that a native San Franciscan chose our hotel for their business travel needs.

Thanks again!

Sincerely.

Virginia Beach, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here for a conference in October and very impressed with the quality of the hotel and the attentiveness of the staff. Check-in was smooth and pleasant, and I loved the way that the staff stepped out from behind the counter to hand me my room key and direct me to the right elevators. Our room was very large and comfortable, and quiet, too. I didn't eat in the hotel restaurants, but the conference food was very nice, especially considering the quantities prepared. The location is fairly close to Union Square and Chinatown, with easy access to a BART station to travel elsewhere around town.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Eric H, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear VAPrgal,

Thank you for your recent stay at the SF Marriott Marquis and for your wonderful comments. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority and we are very pleased that we scored five dots with your review.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

You can walk out the hotel door, cross the street, and be in Bloomingdales! Check-in went smoothly. Common areas and our room were clean. We had nice breakfasts both mornings in the hotel. I am pretty particular about my eggs benedict and they did a really good job. It was 3:30pm and I wanted a glass of wine - you won't find one in the Hotel. The two lounges don't open until 4:00. The sports bar was loud as is expected, but a great place to watch a game. My biggest complaint: I wear glasses and I have no idea how I really looked while I was there because there wasn't a make-up mirror in the bathroom! I am spoiled and I know it. But ladies, bring your own mirror if you really need one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear techteach,

Thank you for choosing the Marriott Marquis for you recent trip to San Francisco. We really appreciate your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your breakfast and our location. We try very hard to accommodate each and every guest request received and hope we can accommodate yours the next time you visit San Francisco, including a make-up mirror.

The San Francisco Marriott Marquis,
Houston, Tton, Texas, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have been going at it for over 5 months over erroneous charges for my stay at this hotel. I have never left a bad review for a business, but this is outrageous. BEWARE! I had a AMA course at the hotel, otherwise, I would not have chosen it over the less expensive options in the area on my company's dime. When I arrived after 9pm I was given the key to my room. Upon entering I realized it was completely subpar compared to the other 4 star hotel rooms I've stayed in in Union Square. Amongst other issues, the room smelled terrible, the bathroom wasn't clean and it was severely outdated. I went back downstairs, explained my issues and asked if I could pay for an upgrade. The new room was the a replica of the first with the adjacent suite open. Again, same problems. It seemed like comfort and decor were a complete afterthought. Not to mention I didn't feel comfortable walking on the floors because they were filthy. I went back downstairs and complained. I asked the manager if due to my concerns I could check out in the morning without a penalty (I had intitially booked 3 days). I was told that as long as I check out by noon I wouldn't be charged beyond the first night.
Fast forward to the next morning: I attended the first half of my class. Around 11:30 I went upstairs to get my luggage that my daughter had already packed for me. We went downstairs and check out, receive our receipt and turned in our card keys. We walked across the street to the Hotel Palomar and checked in. (I have receipts to prove both).
A few weeks later I get my credit card statement and to my surprise, I was billed for three nights. When I disputed the charge, they credited only one night. So I called again. According to them, someone stayed in the room an additional night. I explained that it wasn't me. I was at the hotel across the street with my daughter. The lady that I spoke to mentioned that she spoke to the hotel's controller and that he agreed to credit the additional night. All I needed to do was drop the dispute with my credit card company and get a letter from them to that effect. My credit card company said they couldn't do that. Before I know it, the lady who said it would be credited washed her hands of it and said the hotel controller won't credit it and there's nothing she can do. I can't get ANYONE to answer my questions and I'm furious because my credit card company has to charge me at this point. WHY would I be willing to pay over $400 for a night that I didn't stay in this hotel as well as a night in the hotel that I actually stayed in?

Room Tip: There are some really nice hotels in the area for a fraction of the cost.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Celicia B
Eric H, Sales Department at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Celicia B,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and for taking the time to post your review. Please accept my sincere apology for the unusual condition of your guest room and for the service you received. I was disappointed to read that you had a less then stellar experience as this is not the usual high standard that comes with the Marriott name. We can assure you that your comments are being taken very seriously and will only help us improve our guest satisfaction.

Celicia, we appreciate your business and look forward to regaining your trust in the San Francisco Marriott Marquis soon.

Niagara
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed at Marriott Marquis last week for 5 nights. The location is great as it is minutes walk to Union Square, Market Street and is conveniently located. It is a very large hotel, and the lobby is very busy as is the concierge desk and check in. While the concierge is helpful, it is very cookie cutter. I asked for a local wine store and they provided a place called Cask that maybe had 30 bottle to choose from, there were other options that could have been provided but they were simply too busy. This is a big convention hotel, and the open space on the second level which is where I liked to work was always busy. In fact our room overlooked this atrium and one night there was a very noisy cocktail reception going on. As an East coaster I was ready for bed by 9 PM and couldn't sleep because of the noise. Rooms are clean but nothing fancy,the window opened in our room which I always like. The internet is expensive and while it was great that Starbucks opened at 5:30 it is VERY expensive, go to the Starbucks steps away at Target it is more reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for the Mid or High Tower or room facing The Jewish Museum
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Strategicevents,

Thank you so much for posting your comments. Please accept my sincere apology for the noise level you experienced during your stay. I have made notations of your valuable comments and these will be taken into consideration in our efforts to provide the best hotel experience possible for all of our guests.

Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently stayed here for a conference for 2 nights. The lobby and conference rooms were well designed, modern and comfortable. Every staff member I encountered was professional, incredibly nice and very courteous. The only issue I had was my room on the 6th floor. The ceiling was so low I could touch it without jumping, and I'm very short. Popcorn ceilings and dark carpet made the room feel straight out of the 70's despite the modern linens. The room was very musty and I had to leave the window open for 24 hours before the smell finally left. There was a huge stain on the carpet right in the center of the room and the carpets as a whole felt slightly sticky. I wore socks at all times.

The worst part of the room was the pipes for the shower. Anytime I or anyone near me in other rooms showered the pipes in the wall rattled very loudly to the point that I showered as quickly as possible to avoid it. The saving grace was the bed which was incredibly comfortable with great linens and pillows. The food at breakfast and lunch was really yummy though expensive - but that's San Francisco for you.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors - the 6th floor was very dark.
Dear eyehearttravel,

Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate the compliments you have shared regarding our hotel staff, comfy beds and delicious food. We strive hard everyday to achieve 100% guest satisfaction and your feedback helps. Please accept my sincere apology for the condition of your room. I have taken note of your valuable comments and you will be happy to know that the San Francisco Marriott Marquis is scheduled to renovate all of our guest rooms by the summer of 2013.