“Beautiful view”

San Francisco Marriott Marquis
Ranked #24 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We spent 6 nights at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, about US$ 272.-/room/night without breakfast. Very friendly employee at the check in, it was very late and we were tired for the long journey from Europe. She gave us a very nice and big room at 19° floor with a beautiful view. Clean, a little bit old style, maybe the furniture will be renovated? No coffee/tee facility in the room. Free internet access in the lobby. A drink at 39° floor looking the sunset is recommended. The location is very good: in front of the Yerba Buena Gardens and SFMOMA, the shopping area is only few walking minute, the Market Street just at the corner.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Good day,

Great to know that you had a fabulous stay... And enjoyed our beautiful location The View Lounge on the 39th floor we can agree, its the best! We have begun guest room renovation and should be completed by mid year 2013, hope to see you then. beat regards, S.F. Marriott Marquis'

Reviewed June 2, 2012

The hotel is in a great location by the convention center with plenty of places to eat, drink, and shop within walking distance. At check-in, I was offered a local map, which is not usually provided unless you went to the concierge...very helpful! I was on the concierge floor as a Marriott Gold, which was great. The room and bathroom were large and comfortable. The concierge lounge was outstanding, providing a decent breakfast and evening snack, which is not usual in similar hotel chains. The Starbucks in the hotel is always a plus, as well as the coffee maker in the room. Obviously, this hotel is a bit pricy, but it's because of the brand and location. My favorite part of this hotel was the sports bar that served some excellent microbrews.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank EfficientTraveler

Good day,

It was a pleasure to receive your lovely compliments and experience with us ..... Glad you found us to be centrally located in the Heart of the City S.F. by the Bay! And how much you enjoyed our hotel Sports Bar, Concierge, and Star Bucks services.

Thank you for your visit at the S.F. Marriott Marquis'

Reviewed May 30, 2012

As one might expect, a stay at the Marriot Marquis was excellent, marred only by a group of partying Post-Prommers. They tripped fire alarms and inconvenienced guests who were there for peace and quiet. Krista Wilson, restaurant manager at the Grille, went the extra mile by contacting other personnel who comped a room for anniversary guests who had wanted to make it their own special Anniversay Night. She cared enough to help. . . ... .

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Greetings,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us.... We are very glad to know that our management was able to appease all, and address the situation at hand... Bravo! We appreciate your comments regarding this matter and we look forward to your next visit with us....

Sincerely, S.F. Marriott Marquis'

Reviewed May 28, 2012

My husband and I just got home from a 6 day stay in the San Francisco Bay area to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We paid full price for our room for the two nights we stayed right in San Francisco, and The room was pretty average with the exception of the beautifully soft and comfortable bed and linens. We also had a really beautiful view and saw the sun come up both mornings of our stay. What I found really wonderful and would make me choose this hotel over a more updated hotel was the outstanding customer service that we recieved. Everyone that we encountered from the door men to the check in desk to the house keepers, wait staff at all three restaurants in addition to the people at the on site car rental facility was over the top warm, friendly and helpful. Over the to customer service wins every time!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Marriott-Marquis, Manager at San Francisco Marriott Marquis, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Greetings and Happy belated 25th Anniversary..

It gives us great pleasure to receive such a fantastic review and kudos to our staff and Customer Service...
Thank you for being our guest and using the Marriott Marquis' as your vacation location!

Best regards.... from the S.F. Marriott Marquis'

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just spent a couple of days here with work and it was very good. Typically a Marriott, somewhat bold and brash but overall a great Hotel. Rooms are large and well appointed, spotlessly clean bathroom which has been maintained (nice to see) Beds are very comfortable with great pillows and cosy bed linen. Coffee making facilities are in the room as is a mini bar and snacks.

A large flat screen TV with many channels but it tends to be the usual rubbish, 2 minutes of programming followed by 5 minutes of rubbish adverts. (Not the Hotels fault)

Putting the 'Americanism's aside' this hotel provides a great location with great facilities and comfort, for me though the staff were the Hotels greatest asset and they receive 5 stars. Reception staff are courteous, friendly and very efficient and address you by your name a really nice touch in such a large hotel.

I visited the Concierge desk for some specific shopping information and the Lady (with Blonde hair) gave the best service ever, she researched my requirement, phoned a couple of shops, then printed me maps and gave me specific directions including bus routes etc etc etc .. She did far more than I could have expected. Its worth mentioning that during this visit the hotel and its staff were completely swamped with various conferences, literally hundreds of people milling about in the large reception. However the staff still took time to deal with you individually with limitless patience.

Location wise it is great 5 minutes to the Bart station and Cable car terminus, Union Square malls etc are a stones throw.

As a 'Brit' abroad Marriott Hotels have not always been my favourite however this hotel has gone a long way in changing my opinion and with that in mind I will look forward to further visits in the future, oh and 'PS' if any management read this review please pass on my genuine sincere thanks to the staff who are simply superb.

Room Tip: My room did not have a view but not a problem as SF has so many views you will be spoilt for choice
1  Thank paulwflyer

Good day,

Thank you for choosing us... Glad to know you enjoyed your stay, and found our staff helpful and courteous.

Please come and be our guest again at the S.F. Marriott Marquis~

Best regards!

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Nice hotel in a great spot in SF. There are plenty of shops, bars, restaurants and cinemas nearby. There must also be a convention centre nearby judging by the people wandering around with big name badges hanging around their necks. The rooms are what you'd expect from a Marriott hotel - decent rooms with comfy beds and tons of pillows. You can also open your window here, which I like. The hotel is quite big so depending on which end you get, you might hear the church bells or the sound of the whistle the bellman uses to call cabs. I find SF a noisy city anyway so pack your earplugs if you're a light sleeper.
The gym is large with separate rooms for cardio machines and weights. There is also an indoor pool.
The front desk staff are nice but what really struck me was how all the room attendants (apologies if this isn't the correct title) said hello to me in the corridor. Having stayed in more hotels than I care to remember I thought this was quite unusual - but in a good way. I don't know if this is part of the training here - nice touch if so.
As I mentioned before, the hotel is just so handy for most things you'd want to do in downtown SF. A great choice.

3  Thank makeminealargeone
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I have stayed here a few times, but never reviewed on trip advisor. This is a great hotel, especially if you have something going on at the Moscone Convention Center. Rooms are clean and comfortable. WifI is not free, but it works and is a good speed. Hotel is beautiful overall and the gym and pool are outstanding.

I frequently have a conference in SF and I always look foward to booking this hotel