“Nice boutique hotel in San Francisco for a reasonable price”

The Opal San Francisco
Ranked #99 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Lakewood, California, United States
“Nice boutique hotel in San Francisco for a reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was coming into San Fran for two days and one night business trip, and while searching for a hotel for the night, I was getting sticker shock. Wow, the prices for a room here have gone crazy. Anyway, I came across The Opal on Trip Advisor, and thought I’d give it a try. It was well reviewed and the room charge was much better than many others that I looked at. So I booked the room, and was glad I did.

My first experience with the hotel occurred during my early morning arrival into town. My flight arrived at 8:30AM, and I was dreading having to wait to check in to my hotel until the normal check-in time of 3PM. I thought, well, give the hotel a call and see if I could get an early check-in. I drove to the hotel, and parked around the corner, I called the hotel and spoke to Marie, and asked if I could get in early. She checked my reservation and then asked me to hold for a moment while she checked with housekeeping to see if a room was available yet. She came back to me after a short pause and asked if I could call back within 10 minutes while housekeeping checked. No problem. After about 15 minutes, I called back and asked for Marie, who informed me that they did have a room ready for me and I could check in immediately. Awesome! I really expected that I’d have to wait several hours, but they were able to accommodate me right away. Thank you Marie…You were great!

I checked in and found my room to be quite comfortable. There were two minor things that were a bit off; (1) there was only one soap bar in the bathroom and I had to move it from the sink to the shower, and there was no soap tray for the sink. I’m sure that housekeeping would have quickly corrected that if I asked. (2) The ironing board in the room was broken, and I had to call housekeeping to get a new one, which was replaced within a short time.

Yes, the hotel is a bit dated, but it was clean and comfortable, and for the one night stay, I found it to be just right. It was in a good, centralized location for getting around the city. And, the price was much more reasonable then many of the other hotels in its class. All of the staff were wonderful and helpful. I would definitely consider The Opal again for business or pleasure.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Brad D
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for the review!

I am very glad we were able to get you into the room early, we cannot always accommodate this, but it is great when we can.

I am sorry about the soap. We do provide two bars of soap in the room and so it looks like our housekeeper was trying to save us some money on your room! As you mentioned, we would have been more than happy to bring up an extra bar for you.

Our ironing boards are tricky and sometimes guests bend them or break them and put them back in the closet so that they do not get charged (spoiler alert: we do not charge for things like that, accidents happen). When our housekeepers clean the room, they do not always completely open the ironing board to make sure it is working property, sorry about that!

Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again soon.

Dierk Demers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This hotel is great! location is good, 10 minutes walk from Union square. The rooms were very clean and the interior is very nice! Rooms were cleaned every day. Bathroom is very good and has warm water all the time. Bed is SUPER SUPER COMFY and very very clean. Complimentary breakfast in the morning is small but does the job! The Crowd in the hotel is small, you dont get to have this headache of big hotels (Hilton). If you are one of those who like small quiet hotels, The OPAL is definitely the choice. I would recommend this hotel to my friends and I would definitely stay there again when I come back to SF.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mary_Daoud
Thank you for the excellent review!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and appreciate everything we do to try to make our guests' stay special in San Francisco. we hope to see you again soon.

San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed up here on a Friday night for a birthday party. We had 8 guys in our group so the two-queen room with a sofa bed worked out perfectly for the price. It seems each room comes with a sofa bed which is nice compared to other hotels. The staff was very nice and helpful. They overlooked our group of 8 and did not charge us extra. They also gave a discount on parking since I was waiting for the busy staff (I waited maybe 10-15min). This is an older hotel that had some newer updates. Rooms were nice and big but the bathroom definitely needs an update. Even though they provide parking, it is still limited so get there early. Location is nice since it's almost in the middle of the city. Mel's Diner was next door and Tommy's Joint was right across the street! If you are in town for a guy's trip, then this is your place to stay. Good price, good location, spacious rooms with enough beds to sleep in, located across from Tommy's Joint for drinks and food.

Room Tip: Each room comes w/ a sofa bed and the prices seem to be the same for two doubles or two queens. Goin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for the response!

Each room does not come with a sofa bed, only our two queen rooms do. Technically we only allow 6 people per room, but it sounds like you got away with one on us this time! Our rooms are priced depending on demand and so while doubles are sometimes the same price as our two queen rooms, this is not always the case.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and I found the hotel comfortable, clean, and spacious. The room is a little dated but it is large for a SF hotel room which is all that matters. They have a fitness center and offer free breakfast which is always nice. I think I even had a fridge in my room too. Its a great deal for SF. I was disappointed that I had a room on the ground floor. I noticed a hair on my new sheets- and someone came right away to change the sheets which was good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sonia C
Thank you for the response!

Our rooms do not have refrigerators, we simply do not have space in most and wanted to be consistent. It is something we are looking at for our renovation. The ground floor just means that you can get out to the city faster! I am definitely sorry that you found a hair, but glad that this is the first time I have ever had to apologize for that in a review and that it was taken care of quickly.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

As a former resident of San Francisco, I do think that this hotel offers great value. I stayed 4 nights. Pluses:
- clean, spacious room
- nice, old fashioned decor - a bit on the worn side, but that adds to the authenticity
- comfortable bed
- quiet room (I was on the second floor away from the elevator)
- helpful staff
- excellent location - while not in the middle of the Union Square area, it's still handy via public bus and the California line cable car is just a few blocks away
- free continental breakfast was fine (had a choice of muffins, toast, bagels, fruit salad, yogurt, boiled egg and usual beverages)
- free internet wifi worked fine

Minuses:
- no in-room kettle or self-serve coffee/tea
- no in-room safe
- heater control was rather tricky to work out. Sometimes it blasted heat, other times it was cool. I guess the temperature 'averages' out. The maintenance guy wasn't very good at explaining how to use the controls
- no room service (but Mel's Diner is down below)
- only has stairs from the street to the lobby which means you'll have to lug your suitcase up a short flight of stairs from the street (there is an elevator for wheelchairs, 'tho).

Overall, I'd recommend this place since the price is good value. As long as you don't need the in-room kettle and room service, this place is just fine.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nali R
Thank you for the review! I wanted to speak to as many of your minuses as possible:

- While we don't have in room kettles, we do have complimentary coffee and hot water for tea in the lobby.
-The air conditioning can be complicated, but most hotels in the city actually don't have central air! So the fact that you can control the temperature in room is a plus.
- We don't have in room safes, but we do have safety deposit boxes at the guest service desk.
- There is the wheel chair elevator as well as the Mel's entrance that has a ramp if needed.

I hope this helps everyone.

Shenadoah Valley, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Opal during a recent trip to San Francisco. We originally decided to stay at the hotel because of the price, daily breakfast, and central location. Luckily, the hotel measured up to our expectations. There was a bus station that took riders to Fisherman's Wharf right outside the hotel door, as well as a cable car stop several blocks away. We were also able to walk everywhere. One night we even walked from Chinatown to our hotel with not a lot of effort. The Mel's Drive In attached to the property was also a huge bonus! I highly recommend this hotel for anyone staying near Union Square.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lizzy500
Thank you for the review!

Please be aware that the reviewer is clearly an experienced hiker as I have walked from China town to the hotel and while it is possible, I was exhausted. Be prepared not just for distance, but for hills as well!

Best,

Medellin, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I stay with my family for about 4 nights. The hotel is in a good location. The room was big but the carpet was dirty, I noticed since my son was walking with his socks on and got black because the dirty carpet. The breakfast is so poor, but well, at least you can eat something before go to walk around SF. The best was Angela in the frontdesk. So nice and helpful!!!... I think for the price is a good hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank camiloaristizabal
The best is definitely Angela!

She is great and a big reason the hotel is successful. All of our team bend over backwards for the guests and she is certainly no exception. Our carpets are cleaned professionally 4 times a year and obviously vacuumed with every room service. We are looking at renovations in the near future at which point everything will be updated, including carpet!

Best,