“Tired looking hotel”

Ranked #102 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Tired looking hotel”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

stayed in this hotel for 3 nights...was clean and tidy but very tired looking..... hotel staff didn't seem too interested in helping with information on local area... check in was drawn out with staff looking as they really could not be bothered and it was an inconvenience to them... would not bother to stay here again when I revisit san fran..... much more choices and better value than this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for the response!

I am actually very surprised. Most of the time, I have to convince our team to move onto the next guest because they are absolutely set on telling every guest about each possible experience they can have. I can make a deal with you. If you agree to come visit us again, I will set you up to get checked in by Brad. He can tell you about his 40 years in the city and every hidden gem the entire area has to offer. I am never looking for places for lunch or areas to explore because I always know to turn to Brad. I am certainly sorry that you did not feel welcomed, I hope you give us another shot.

Dierk Demers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

For the price payed I would expect a very good hotel with modern rooms. Opal hotel is not the case, it is old and rooms are ugly. Location is good but the neighborhood is horrible and full of homeless. The rooms near the parking lot are very noisy.

Stayed October 2013
Judging by the date of your response, I think you stayed with us during the Oracle convention in town. We charge crazily high rates during that time and we are STILL a very affordable option in the city, we always try to be a value. Unfortunately, sometimes a value in this city is still hundreds of dollars. I completely understand your disappointment if you were staying during one of those horridly busy times. We do have to follow market trends in the city and price accordingly and that will lead to some pretty high expectations. We do our best to smile extra large and help out even more during those times, but I do understand how that might not be enough.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

bangalore
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Though the location is convenient, the neighbourhood is not up to the mark. You could find unwanted elements around. Didn't look very safe once it was dark.

The hotel is an old one with an ancient lift which is in a workable condition. It has narrow corridors with rooms on either side. The room is quite small and cramped for the cost.

The breakfast is very basic and could have been better. The breakfast hall is too small to cater to seating of all the guests. The guests who could not be accommodated in the hall picked up their breakfast and sat in the reception.

I would advise this property only if you are on a shoe string budget.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for the review!

Our neighborhood is definitely a struggle, luckily construction on our new hospital is starting currently and we should see the neighborhood improve drastically in just a few months! Its funny you mention the elevator because it is my favorite part of our hotel. We actually have two located on either side of the property, very rare for SF. They are each as spacious as my apartment, which is to say that they are on the smaller side, but they are in great condition compared to some of the boutique properties in the city. (The reason they are my favorite is because they actually have secret codes for staff, every time I go to the basement, I feel like James Bond). I'm not sure if anyone should be coming to SF on a shoe string budget, but we are definitely an affordable option in the city.

Leeds
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We are 8 days into a 10 day stay so are still at the hotel as I write this. Even though I haven't gone through the checkout process I feel I know the service levels enough to do a review.

The first thing which impressed me about The Opal was the fact they emailed me the day before our stay and reminded me of the reservation details, this was a really nice touch, it meant I had the info on my phone and I had no need to print anything out.

Check in was quick and easy and we also took advantage of the parking. It is a bit pricey to park in SF but we have not regretted having a car at all.

The one thing I was wary of when booking The Opal was the location, I had read the reviews about the number of homeless in the surrounding streets and they are not wrong. However, I have walked to and from Union Square down both Geary and Post and although the first few blocks are not exactly pleasant I have never felt in any kind of danger. It is fine to walk around, but there are a lot of homeless about.

This is the only bad point about the hotel. The service is great, everyone is very smiley and happy and helpful. I have had so much bad service in SF but this place is a little gem. There is unlimited coffee in reception (I keep some proper milk in my room as there is only coffeemate), they have a free wine and cheese night once a week, the breakfast is great. I saw some people complaining that it was just a continental breakfast but quite frankly, if there was a hot buffet each day I would be the size of a hippopotamus by now! I am glad it is just toast and other similar things.

I am guessing that most people dont stay here as long as we have but we have found it a great base to explore SF. There is a road to the rear called Polk which is full of great restaurants and bars. You can walk to Unions Square if you want something a bit posher. There is a bus right outside which gets you to Fishermans Wharf (don't recommend Fisherman's Wharf - it is like a slightly upmarket version of Blackpool) and other buses to other parts of the city. When we went to the baseball we could easily walk there too.
If you want somewhere to stay in SF for a reasonable price then this would do you fine - highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th (top) floor which was very quiet. We could leave the windows open and hear the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
You got it. We can close the reviews section on the hotel because I think you hit everything. Thank you for the great review. I don't think I have anything to add.

General Manager.
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We have 6 of us and could fit in there suite! It was tight but worked well as you spend little time in the room in SF. We found the hotel in a good location near bus stop out front which takes you to all the sights. THe breakfast is very basic but gives you some thing to start the day with kids. Parking is cheaper around the crn at the cinema lot so if you are parking try that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Newnhamp
Spot on! Thank you for the response.

Please keep in mind that 6 is the maximum we can fit on our largest rooms. Our rooms vary quite greatly in size and shape so I want to stress that only a few of our rooms can fit such large parties. That being said, we are very glad to provide a launching point for your vacation. We definitely support spending as little time as possible in the hotel room. Not because we don't want you there of course! But there is just so much to do in this city that you need to be out there as much as you can.

Sheffield, Australia
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed at this property during our recent trip down the west coast of the USA and found it to be pleasant while not outstanding.
The rooms are a little cramped and the area set aside for breakfast is totally inadequate to cater for the number of guests who are forced to overflow into the Lobby area. During the evenings it pays to keep to the main roads as there are numerous homeless persons loitering in the side streets and a cashed up tourist might be a little tempting.
The up side is that the rooms are clean and functional and the staff are very friendly and helpful. If you are watching your budget then this place ticks all the boxes.
Also, straight, across the street,.is a restaurant called Tommy's Joynt which offers some of the best and cheapest food and drinks in town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank roydavidjones
Thank you for the response!

We are glad that you enjoyed our charming little property. I completely understand your issue with our breakfast, as one of the only properties in the city that provides free breakfast; and possibly the only one that does in our price range, we definitely have a lot of demand for breakfast. It really is just supposed to be a quick stop and go option and people who want something more substantial can stop by Mel's which is right next to our lobby!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed for a long weekend with my wife during our visit to San Francisco. The room was decently sized with a king-sized bed. Room was a bit musty smelling, but I guess that's what you get when the building is old.

Breakfast that's included isn't anything amazing, simply some bagels, a small muffin and some fruit. But in a pinch it'll do and can tide you over until you get brunch elsewhere.

Neighborhood isn't the greatest, but it isn't terrible either and for the price I'm not sure if it can be beat. Staff was very pleasant and if you want a decent cheap hotel in downtown SF then pick The Opal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt H
Thank you for the response!

I try not to pretend to be anything we are not in these responses and you really accurately described our hotel. We are an older property, but we provide a clean room and excellent service for a price that you will rarely find in the city.