The Opal San Francisco
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Monarch Hotel(San Francisco)
View Hotel
Civic Center Inn(San Francisco)
  • Free Internet
Red Coach Motor Lodge(San Francisco)
Hotel EPIK(San Francisco)
Oasis Inn(San Francisco)
View Hotel
Calista Organic Hotel(San Francisco)
Essex Hotel(San Francisco)
1,182 results
All reviewsmel's dinervan nesscontinental breakfastyogurtunion squaretenderloinhard boiled eggsan older hotelfront desk staffjapan townpublic transportfisherman's wharfbus stopcentral locationparking garagefew blockslobby
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed for a long weekend with my wife during our visit to San Francisco. The room was decently sized with a king-sized bed. Room was a bit musty smelling, but I guess that's what you get when the building is old.

Breakfast that's included isn't anything amazing, simply some bagels, a small muffin and some fruit. But in a pinch it'll do and can tide you over until you get brunch elsewhere.

Neighborhood isn't the greatest, but it isn't terrible either and for the price I'm not sure if it can be beat. Staff was very pleasant and if you want a decent cheap hotel in downtown SF then pick The Opal.

1  Thank Matt H
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for the response!

I try not to pretend to be anything we are not in these responses and you really accurately described our hotel. We are an older property, but we provide a clean room and excellent service for a price that you will rarely find in the city.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

While this hotel is not in the greatest part of town, edge of the Tenderloin, it is quite charming. We had a room with two queen beds that also included a sitting area with chair and couch. Bathroom was large with a lovely skylight.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alicia W

Thank you!

We are happy you enjoyed your stay! We will see you again soon, I hope.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

You'll not that despite my less positive second-half of my title, i STILL gave The Opal four stars. That is because DESPITE their surroundings, its a really nice, comfortable, clean place to stay. When we walked in to our room I got a little nervous...the windows were open and it was hot and LOUD. Thankfully though, they have already spotted this during some renovation (which much have been fairly recent due to how modern all the fixtures and windows, etc. were). The windows were double-paned glass and they quite successfully shut out the noises down below. Our room had a comfy flat bed, albeit with sort of flat, crappy pillows, and nice flat screen. Shower and sink, etc were all nice and clean, plenty of space, yada yada. I saw of lot of reviews talking about the breakfast...let me tell you, it was not that great. We passed the whole time we were there (and made the MISTAKE of eating at Mel's one morning...dont fall for it) and opted for fresh, hot local breakfast instead. I would stay here, but the neighborhood sucks. Its central, but there are streets covered with piss and bums EVERWHERE. For the steep price ($160 a night) I will most likely try to find something comparable in a nicer area next time I visit SF.

Room Tip: Ask to be high up...its on a busy street and I would not want to hear that street traffic at night.
2  Thank kungfoofighter82

Thanks for the great review!

I love to see reviews where we optimize everything that we can control. Our neighborhood is definitely not the best, but it is getting better. We have a new hospital going in right next door which is going to really revitalize the area, we are very excited. Our breakfast, as I typically mention, is just meant for a quick grab and go out the door. I am sorry that you didn't like Mel's all that much, I actually eat there all the time and haven't gotten sick of it yet, but I understand different tastes. Luckily, we have TONS of other food options in the area. Tommy's Joint is across the street and Brenda's cajun comfort food is just a few blocks away, plus we have tons of Thai, Vietnamese, and even Turkish nearby!

Best,

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The hotel is a bit old and rustic, but it's location and customer service more than make up for it. The hotel is comfortable and provides a continental breakfast (perfect to grab a quick bite and head out). It's centrally located to most major tourist attractions and it's comfortable.

3  Thank Average J

Thank you for the great review!

Great to hear good things about the hotel. I am very glad you had a good time. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My daughter and I visited on Labor Day weekend and were able to walk to all the major attractions and avoid all sorts of transportation logjams including the trolley. Parking was nearby and only $25 since I was wiling to leave it parked until ready to leave. Hotel desk staff were wonderfully helpful with advice. Room was 'old hotel' but clean and comfortable, and our requested 'quiet location' actually was.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Loves2travel127

Thank you for the response!

Great review, for clarity's sake I will explain our parking a little bit again. We have parking on site for $30 plus tax. This actually may change soon as we might be going to seasonal pricing, but currently we are at this price point. There is a parking garage next door that is slightly cheaper, but does not allow you to take your car in and out (our garage DOES have in and out privileges). We do not always have enough parking for all of our guests and provide it on a first come first serve basis. After we sell out, we direct people to the parking garage.

I know we get lots of questions on this so I always like to mention it.