“Great location if you don't have a car”

The Opal San Francisco
Ranked #101 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great location if you don't have a car”
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located within walking distance to the California line tram stop as well as bus stops so it is a great place if you don't have a car. The room is a bit small though. I was happy that they acceded to my request for a room away from street noise on the 5th floor. Breakfast was simple but good enough for me. The price per night was a bit steep but I guess one has to pay more to stay nearer the city. Overall I would rate it as very good.

• Stayed August 2013
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for the great review! (The next few responses are going to be short as I am a bit behind from hand surgery)

Dierk Demers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 1, 2013

After a lot of research I chose this hotel based on the price and reviews, and I was not disappointed. It's walking distance into the city (though I wouldn't recommend wandering around the local area alone at night), quiet and good quality for the price. This place is not "fancy" by any means but it's clean and has everything you need. I will definitely be coming back here if I visit San Fran again :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Emmaline1234
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for the review.

You hit on everything that I would say about our hotel. Good location for seeing the sites, clean, and with every amenity you would need for a few days to explore the city. We are not fancy, but we are clean, comfortable and friendly. Thank you for the excellent review.

Los Angeles
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is a nice old hotel on Van Ness. I’ve stayed here before and it’s a nice springboard to the usual tourist sites in San Francisco. I noticed lots of European tourists this trip. The rooms are small, but nicely furnished. Hotel prices in San Francisco are not cheap, especially in the middle of summer, and this one is no exception, but the price was less than some other similar hotels. I found that I got the best rate by calling the hotel directly. They have a decent complimentary continental breakfast, but it was pretty mobbed at 8AM; staff kept everything replenished continuously, so no problem other than finding a table. Front desk is very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank FrequentTraveller034
Thank you for your reply and for staying with us often!

We are certainly glad to have repeat customers and are very honored that you have decided to be our guest on multiple occasions. As you pointed out, even when the prices in the city are extraordinary, we try to keep ours reasonable within the market. San Francisco is a very tumultuous tourist market and as such, prices rise and fall drastically depending on the business in town. We always try to keep our price at a discount level compared to some of the other boutique hotels in the area.

We hope that you get to enjoy our property and team again in the near future!

Modesto, California
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I had to have a medical procedure at a SF hospital so decided to spend the night before in town rather than get up at zero dark thirty to drive in. The hotel parking was filled, the nearby public parking didn't open until 6:00 am and I had to be at the hospital by 5:30. Explaining my predicament to the front desk clerk he went out of his way to arrange hotel staff to shuffle their cars in the hotel lot at shift changes to accommodate me. The rooms were lovely and quiet, a wonderful 1908 post great fire landmark. Centrally located and Tommy's joint across the street!
Ill be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
This may be the number one thing I would like to hear from every guest who stays with us!

I am so glad that our team went above and beyond during your stay. It is always wonderful when we are able to provide some truly excellent guest service and facilitate something truly accommodating for a guest. So often, we get caught in the grind of hospitality that we forget just exactly why we doing what we do. I am so glad that the team was able to make your stay special and give you that extra boost you needed.

warsaw
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The location at Van Ness Blvd is very convenient and not very far from anywhere you would want to go in SF.
Rooms are spacious and furnished with very nice, classic furniture. Our room on the upper floor was quiet even though it was facing the street.. Some streets at the side and the back of the hotel might better be avoided at night by unaccompanied women due to the occasional presence of some shady characters there.
Reception staff deserved an award.
Will visit again on the next trip to SF .

Room Tip: as always, the higher the better
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank richardg6
Thank you for your kind response!

We are glad you enjoyed your team and our hotel. Your point should be taken by future travelers regarding some of the roads around the hotel, we are a big city and it pays to be careful! Your point should also be taken in regards to our wonderful staff. The team here is incredibly knowledgeable about the area, local attractions, and how to get from point A to point B. They are invaluable resources for perusing the city.

Thank you again.

UK
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We were really comfortable here.

Our room was massive, more than adequate for two adults and two teenagers. Beds were nice and firm, breakfast was fine. Location was good, within easy reach of everything we wanted to see. Free wi-if worked well. Can't really think of anything negative to say really!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank NAEdwards
Thank you for the excellent response!

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Our rooms vary in signs greatly due to the age of our property and the multitude of renovations it has gone through over its century in existence. As such, we typically suggest larger families pick the Queen Queen suites whenever available as they are larger than our other rooms. I am assuming you probably got one of those. Great to see you were satisfied!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

The Opal is such a terrible hotel it has prompted my first ever negative review on Trip Advisor.
It's only saving grace was the friendly and helpful front desk staff. But other than that, steer clear of this hotel if you have any sense about you.

The location of my room was directly opposite the elevator and the walls were paper-thin so I heard absolutely everyone coming and going. The first morning most guests on my floor were woken up at 7am by the loud banging and drilling of maintenance workers doing something with the walls. What kind of hotel schedules maintenance for early in the morning during peak occupancy in summer and doesn't at least warn the guests first? Unacceptable. Thankfully I only stayed two nights and on the second morning I had to leave at 5am. I have no idea if the maintenance continued on the second day but I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. It's a shame because it is centrally located and the diner next door is excellent.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank _Sprightly_Sprite_
Thank you for your review. As with all the others around this time, I am sorry for the delay. I somehow managed to not input these properly.

Anyway, thank you for your feed back. I do apologize for the rude awakening you received. During your stay, we were renovating three test rooms for a possible renovation project. We did have one day when a carpet contractor was a little too ambitious regarding their work schedule and decided to start early in the morning. The first complaint came in around 8AM (although they must have started earlier, unbeknownst to us) and we told them immediately to stop until 9AM, which is the time we always tell our contractors is the earliest they can start working. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience, obviously our guests are our first priority and we make sure any work done is happening at a reasonable hour.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels