“Confortable Stay San Francisco”

The Opal San Francisco
Ranked #98 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Confortable Stay San Francisco”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Opal Hotel is on Van Ness Avenue, a few block from the Civic Center. Safe area, walking to distance to Union Square a central San Francisco.
Nice and clean, really quiet, comfortable, affordable, nice. Good Experience for a local hotel.
Friendly environment, continental breakfast.

Room Tip: My room was not in front of the Street, really quiet, no noise from outside or other rooms!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Thanks for the great review!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay. In regards to your room tips, we get different opinions on basically all of our rooms. We have had people stay on the Van Ness side and say they've slept like a baby, we also have people say that our internal rooms are noisy. The best advice I can give is to make sure your windows are closed and locked (both the inside and outside windows), this makes a gigantic difference for outside noise. That being said, we aren't a serene, lake side retreat, we are a bustling metropolis hotel. There is a certain amount of city noise that is always going to get into our rooms and hallways.

Dierk Demers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Montgomery, New York
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights and have no complaints. I slept very well and thought it was quiet even though I was right next to the elevator. Free wifi and continental breakfast. Beautiful lobby. Like the previous reviewer stated, there are a lot of panhandlers around the perimeter. Except for asking for money, they don't bother you if you just move on. Neighborhood is filthy. Lots of eating options nearby. I will stay here again when I come to town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Patrick M
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
It is great to know that you will be back!

The great part about our neighborhood is that, despite the difficulties associated with it, it also comes with some truly great dining experiences. Tommy's Joynt is a weekly trip for me (it never gets old). Brenda's is just a couple blocks away, my personal choice for the best breakfast and brunch in the city (my last meal will be their pulled pork eggs benedict). We have Moroccan, Turkish, Thai, Indian, and pretty much every other type of restaurant you could imagine within walking distance. Great for guests, not so great for my waist line.

We will see you again soon.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The Opal is not a fancy or high end hotel, but it's a good one and a great bargain. Room rates are very low for SF, about $140/night. Has its own secure parking at $27/night. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, good and helpful service. Spacious lobby with extremely comfortable furniture. There are typically some seedy characters hanging about on the nearby sidewalks but they are harmless, and it is centrally located, convenient to Civic Center, Opera and Symphony, Union Square, and other locations of interest. Shares its building with Mel's, a '50s-'60s style diner with good food, old-style juke boxes, and an ambience that takes me back to my youth. In a word, I like this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face on Van Ness, which is a very busy street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BobConklin
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Great to have you!

You are clearly a San Francisco pro with comments and advice like that! You sold the hotel like I wish I could and even hit at some very insightful aspects regarding the cast of characters that are in the area at night. We always like to caution people that this is a big city and it is always important to be aware of your surroundings; but the vast majority of the homeless in the city are just people who are not getting the medical or psychological attention they need and have to struggle to get by on the street. It is sad to see them in such a state, but as you mentioned, most of them are absolutely harmless.

We will no doubt see you again soon, thank you for giving us a review!

Wesley Chapel
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I had never been to San Francisco, so picking a hotel was a tough choice, due to the fact I did not know which area was good or bad to stay in. So I had to do some homework on which hotel would suite my needs best. The Opal ended up being a good choice. I love older hotels, that have character and keep some of the vintage character yet also keep up with the things that need to be kept up with. I must say that this hotel did pass that test with flying colors! It has been well kept and our room was very clean. Everyday we came back to our room, the beds were made, the bathroom had been wiped down and new towels replaced. From check in to check out, the customer service was great! I did not get all the names of the people that helped, but one name does stick out and that is Brad! He was there the day we came and the day we left (we stayed 6 days). He remembered us and always asked how our trip was doing and if we enjoyed our stay and the city. The front desk people always were helpful and had great advice for things to do while visiting. The only downfall to our stay.....is not one that can really be controlled by the hotel staff/management due to the building being older. The noise factor was sometimes an issue. Not really coming from outside, but coming from the hallway. We could hear people talking when they were walking by....but that really is the only complaint I have. The free breakfast in the morning is nice and helps save some money too. All in all, I was happy with my choice to stay here....it is only 9 blocks from the heart of the city (Union Square) which was fantastic. It is pretty easy to get around the area and being right next to Mel's Diner....was fun too. Also, the price I paid for staying here is very competitive compared to others just a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Kristy L
Thank you!

Brad is an all-star and it probably won't be too long before people come to the hotel just to see him! If anyone coming to stay with us has a few minutes, ask him to tell you some stories about his San Francisco experiences, he has a million and they are all great (just please make sure he isn't TOO busy when you ask)!

We are glad you enjoyed the property and took advantage of our proximity to all the sights around the city. In regards to the noise, it is definitely a challenge that we have to compete with and it is something we are keeping in mind when we do future renovations.

Mannheim
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed in the hotel during the week for three nights. First of, I think I would stay there again, because it was a good price/value ratio, at least in comparison to the other hotels. Here are some of the pros/cons:

+ Seems and feels clean (with some exceptions, see below)
+ Good location (some homeless, but they are everywhere in SF)
+ Cinema in the same building (after lots of sightseeing, watch a movie for $12)
+ Free and fast (!) wifi
+ Good continental breakfast: bagels, toast, philadelphia, butter, jam, yoghurt, fruit (!), juice, coffee

- Cleaning staff is not very talented:
- OTHER PEOPLE's towels were in our bathroom when we got there
- Only made the bed, left empty cups and other stuff just lying around
- It smelled a little funny in the beginning, but that went away

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Philipp H
Hello!

I am so glad that you wrote on Trip Advisor! I actually have your comment card in my office, but it did not have any contact information so that I could get a hold of you! All things considered, thank you so much for the great review.

In regards to your room upon check-in, not only do we have our housekeepers clean the room, but we have an inspector (typically our Executive Housekeeper) inspect every room before a new guest checks in. Your room was, fairly obviously, not inspected. I tried to have my Executive Housekeeper investigate, but not having your information made that a little tricky for us to nail down just where the breakdown occurred.

Please contact me at ddemers@theopalsf.com so that I can look into the issue for you. It makes us better as a hotel to find these problems and fix them in a way that ensures they will not happen again.

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel,clean,and helpful desk staff especially
Bradley who main some great recommendations for sight seeing.Cable cars and shopping at Union Square are within walking distance.The complimentary breakfast was more than adequate and a nice convenience.
This hotel is a bargain in light of the more costly San Francisco hotels. AAA discounts are available. When we return to S.F.this is our hotel it is that simple.if you want fountains and marble go somewhere else you will pay double.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Firstcallrs
Thank you for the review!

Every so often, a reviewer writes something and I want to stand up and yell, "Exactly!" This is one of them. San Francisco is a very expensive city and so hotel rates can be outrageous. We try to keep ourselves relatively affordable, no matter what is going on in the city. We still have our expensive dates, but we can typically be found at half the price of some of the big brand names.

We want to provide a clean room, a friendly and comfortable experience and a good starting location to explore the city. We do, however, understand our limitations with an aging building and slightly colorful neighborhood. While both of those are soon to change (Hospital project going in next door and a renovation set in the next year), we want to remain true to who we are as a hotel.

Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Opal is a pretty cool boutique hotel with a creepy haunted vibe. The room was comfortable and clean, only complaint being the shower's water pressure (or lack thereof). The lobby made for a nice lounging area and the staff were helpful and polite.

The price of the hotel was great (avg $160/night in June), especially considering that most hotels in San Fran were priced in excess of $300. However, the location left much to be desired. It was only a short drive from most of the neighborhoods we wanted to see (fisherman's wharf, union square, castro, haight-ashbury), but the area around the hotel was NOT somewhere we felt comfortable being at night. The hotel is surrounded by a bunch of dark alleys filled with homeless people, gutter punks, and crackheads -- it felt like NYC in the 80s. Lot of cool dive bars, but way to scary to be out and around, trust me. If you're coming to San Francisco as a tourist, you might be better off spending more money for something near Fisherman's Wharf. This isn't an area you'd want to bring your kids. On the plus, the lobby is only accessible by room key after dark (take that as a hint).

The hotel's on-site parking is around $28/day....but the lot was filled when we got there. They directed us to a nice garage next door for $20/day. Free breakfast, basic stuff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank scorseseeyebrows
Thank you for the review!

I completely understand your concern regarding the area and I have some great news to report. The city has approved a large hospital and medical office building project going across the street and diagonally across the intersection from our hotel. It is set to start in the next few months and we are very happy with the proposal for how it is going to drastically improve the area. It is going to add extra street lighting, retail space across the street (as opposed to the vacant buildings currently) and extra security and foot traffic.

A trend on our reviews is how difficult our neighborhood is and I am very excited to see some positive changes in that regard in the very near future.