“Excellence, sight unseen.”

The Opal San Francisco
Ranked #100 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

My stay at The Opal was unexpected as my reservation was transferred from another boutique hotel at the last minute due to overbooking. The Opal did not disappoint. From the complimentary underground parking to the very helpful and accommodating front desk staff to the continental breakfast I was taken care of.

I will stay again when I visit San Francisco.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Juliet H
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for trying The Opal. We are always glad to help out another hotel in need and we are very happy to have made a good impression. My sincere hope is that we will have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

There are newer reviews for The Opal San Francisco

Reviewed January 25, 2013

When I read about 'restored ' hotels, I am a bit leery. They can be charming or atoricious, depending on the owner's definition of 'restored'. We were delightfully surprised by The Opal. It's a beautiful old hotel, nicely restored in the center of San Franscisco. It was within easy reach of everthing we wanted to do. Since we like to walk a lot, it was a great visit. If you are more into powered transportation, that is also in abundance winthin a few steps of the front door. An additional treat is Mel's Diner, attached to the first floor lobby. Particularly nice was the very helpful staff working there. All in all, a great stay.

Room Tip: There is not much of a view from the side street room, although we didn't spend much time in the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank syoung108

Thank you for the response. Our building was built in 1908 (although the hotel dates back even farther, before the great earthquake of 1906) and it is certainly a member of the old guard in the city. We are very happy that you enjoyed its elegant charm. Our room views are fairly limited, but we try to make up for it with excellent service and a great location to explore all areas of the city. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I found this hotel while searching for certain criteria for a hospital visit of an elder aunt and this place had everything we required. The price is cheap, but the hotel is clean, roomy, safe, convienent. I like it because there is a Mel's Diner right next door with a doorway between. They have a safe and easy access garage. It is close to the Opera and Civic Center, but is out of the riff raf of the other hotels closer that are not nice. You can get a cab and be downtown in 5 minutes. I love this place and I stay everytime!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tami M
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for the response!

We are so happy that you enjoy our hotel and location. Your review encapsulates everything we love about the property and we are glad that you agree. We cannot wait to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

Arrived December 25 before checking time but one room was available so we were able to store our luggage till the other room became available. The staff were friendly and able to help out with any questions we had. The Opal in its day would have been a magnificent hotel but could do with some TLC here and there. The rooms were clean and tidy and there was no room noise from the adjacent rooms. Cont. breakfast was free, but if you wanted a seat your timing had to be good. Most days we eat sitting on the chairs in the lobby area.
Mel's Diner was attached where we eat on several occasions and found the staff there " great "
Car parking is offered by the hotel which we found quite expensive. Because it is so handy to Union Square and the cable car you could get away without a rental car for the first 2 -4 days no problem.
Many homeless and OTHER characters in the area, with some of them going to be memories held for years to come.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Bugsy13

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your stay. I am very glad that you enjoyed our staff and accomodations. We are definitely a older hotel and I am excited to look forward to future renovations. We hope to keep the charm and add some modern conveniences in the near future. Parking is definitely at a premium in the city which comes as a surprise to some visitors. I completely agree that with our proximity to the highlights of the city and public transportation; a car is not a necessity for exploring the city. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Clean rooms, no problems at all, well placed, walk downhill on Van Ness to get to Fisherman's Wharf or turn right onto Geary to get to Union Square.

Good free breakfast included and free coffee in lobby all day.

Friendly staff who even contacted the airport transfer service for me when they didn't turn up.

Good cheap food across the street at Tommy's Joynt especially the meatball sandwiches!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Andy O

Thank you for the response. I am glad that your enjoyed your stay. Our team is definitely the heart of our hotel and it is great to hear that they provided excellent service. Our hotel's location lends itself to walking for the more adventurous travelers. We have recently changed around our breakfast items and I am glad you enjoyed the new options.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

It's a old cool hotel. I booked it on Expedia on a package deal. And I got a deal on the price.

Pros:
Clean
Exceptional staff
Convenient secure parking (see cons)
Continental breakfast
Mel's Drive In attached

Cons:
Hard beds
Terrible pillows
Homeless dudes everywhere
Parking $35 a night (not unusual in SF)

My wife and I and our 2 teenage daughters enjoyed our six night stay. After we got use to the homeless and "creepys", as my 13 yr old called them, it was nice to step back in time at this older, but well kept hotel. The staff went beyond our expectations to make our stay pleasant. I would stay again with just my wife, although I would not stay with the kids. We had to walk about 8 blocks and it was just to very uncomfortable.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tlasyone

Thank you for the insightful review. The two most important things to hear from guest reviews, to me, is that our staff was friendly and helpful and that the hotel was clean and accomodating. Our team is absolutely integral to our success. Homelessness in San Francisco is, unfortunately, a reality that we see in the city everyday. I completely understand your hesistation regarding that aspect of the city and it is something that our business is keenly aware of. We maintain constant security patrols to keep our immediate vicinity as guest friendly as possible and try to give out routes throughout the city that are safest and cleanest.

Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I just had a wonderful stay at the Opal Hotel. First time there and always leary about new hotels.
Was truly surprised when we walked into the beautiful lobby and greeted with big smiles and hellos.
This is a beautiful older hotel that has been well taken care of.
You get a big continnental breakfast. There is also a 50 's style diner with access through the lobby.
You step out the hotel and get on Muni busses to go anywhere in the city.
No negatives here, only praise.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank kayeandsid

Thank you for the review! It is my honest hope that we can give every guest that stays with us the experience that you had at our hotel. Please come see us again soon so that we can, once again, try to make your stay as enjoyable as possible.