“Expecting much more”

Ranked #99 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Kelowna, Canada
“Expecting much more”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The positive: Very kind & helpful staff, there was a complimentary wine tasting taking place in the lobby when we arrived which was a nice surprise, rooms were clean.

The negative: Based on the photos we saw online when we booked and the description of location, we were disappointed. We were expecting more. The hotel was very old and was not in the greatest area. We definitely felt a bit nervous walking around at night. The website we booked on said this hotel was in the Union Square area, but it definitely was not, we had to walk at least 15 minutes to get to our restaurant which WAS in the Union Square area. The rooms were very old and small. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Shay0314
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for the review. Our hotel has definitely seen some years and I understand your concerns. As the hotel as matured, the floor plans have changed and the result is a very interesting hotel experience. Each room is unique and some of them are definitely smaller than what you might expect at a newer property. I do apologize that this was unexpected. We are fairly centrally located and we are only 0.8 miles away from Union Square. While I believe Union Square is downhill from us, I can certainly understand the trek becoming daunting if you hit one of those famous San Francisco hills.

We would certainly be happy to have another opportunity to serve you. Should you need any further assistance or have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me at my direct line (415) 294-8204.

Dierk Demers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed December 3, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for college visits. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful on all shifts. The room was clean, comfortable and affordable for the area. Bathroom a little small. We had a car so location was not an issue, but it is easy to get anywhere from here. Parking rate good when compared to other hotels. Continental breakfast just ok. Had a customer service issue with Mel's but their breakfast was good. Would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jake689
Thank you for the review. We are very glad that you found the hotel clean, comfortable and friendly. Our team goes out of their way to try to make sure that every guest feels welcomed. I certainly hope that The Opal was able to provide you and your daughter the rest you needed for what sounds like a busy trip. Best of luck to your daughter in her academic exploits! We will expect to see you again come move-in day and graduation!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I found the opal comfortable, friendly and provided oustanding service. Nothing was too much trouble. It was also close to some great places to eat only short distances away, despite not being right in the middle of the city.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Timfromaussie
Thank you for the response! I am very glad that we could make your stay on the other side of the Pacific a comfortable one. Our location and staff are definitely a great draw for us and we are happy that you enjoyed both. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the states.

Michigan
Reviewed November 21, 2012

When staying in San Francisco it shouldn't be about how great or updated the hotel is, since you are in a city that requires and demands exploration! The Opal though was a nice addition to our trip. It is centrally located and the theater is next door; if you find time to fit in a movie. The room wasn't fancy and outdated compared to most hotels, but definitely served its purpose for sleeping. My only real complaint about the room would be that it lacked a fan in the bathroom and after a hot shower it takes a very long time to defog. The staff was pleasant and the hotel has a few amenities: Continental breakfast (mainly carbs, but they did have hard boiled eggs every morning),basement coin laundry, fitness center, hot water, coffee and tea in the main lobby all day! Electronic key fob entry into the hotel and room which certainly increases the feeling of safety. All in all a great place to stay on a budget and still enjoy your trip!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Frequenttravler77
Thank you for the review. We are glad that you enjoyed the city and our charming hotel. San Francisco is a unique city with an identity all its own. Our hotel is honored to have been a part of that identity for over 100 years. We are looking into updating some of our amenities while still maintaining the charm and classic beauty of the property. We hope to see you again soon.

Northlew, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We chose The Opal to be in the middle of everything- and that's exactly what it was. We also didn't realise the Mel's Diner and Tommy's Joynt (opposite) would be the best meals we had all holiday.
The Opal had a sizable, clean well cared for room and the biggest bathroom we'd seen for a long time (no bathtub). We just literally used the place a a hotel- slept well and didn't use the breakfast facilities, prefering to slip in the side door to Mel's. Checkout was a quick and simple process as we'd prepaid.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank shuvtim
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to book our stay at The Opal because of the low price and overall positive reviews. We arrived late in the evening, and I immediately felt that this was not an area in which I'd be comfortable walking around, even during the day. The hotel provides only the most basic amenities and is quite old and in need of some updates; our room smelled musty and the carpet was very damp upon arrival. The walls are very thin; we were able to hear everyone passing in the hallway, as well as the people in the room next door, very clearly. On this first impression, I would have given The Opal an average review.

However, one morning after my shower, I found a dead cockroach in my bath towel! Needless to say, I refused to stay there another night. We requested a refund for the unused night and parking. What troubles me most about this incident is the fact that someone in the laundry room could overlook a dead cockroach while folding towels. What else is being overlooked by the staff at this hotel?

Room Tip: If you're planning a trip to San Francisco, I highly recommend spending a little extra money and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah B
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thank you for your response. I can certainly understand your issues and how they affected adversely affected your stay. I apologize for the experience you had at my hotel and assure you that it is not the level of service that I expect from our property. In regards to the age of our hotel, I am actually in the process of planning a renovation of some sort. We are definitely aware of the age of our property and the need to do some updates. Obviously, the insect issue is an unforgivable, isolated incident. We do have a quarterly pest prevention procedure which tries to ensure that our entire property is pest free, I can certainly give more details upon request.

Again, I am sorry for the caliber of your stay and hope that you might give us a second chance. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss any of your issues.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Opal is well located for travelling around SF. The room was a little on the small side and a little dated; but they kept it clean and well serviced. I missed not have coffee making facilities in the room, but there was coffee 24/7 in the lobby. There is a great continental breakfast; just help yourself. The staff are friendly and helpful - happy to spend time telling you where to go and how to get there.

I found having access to a laundry useful.

Would I stay at the Opal again? Yes I would. SF is an expensive city, and The Opal met my needs at the price I could afford.

One word of caution; if you use the airport shuttle that Opal recommends; do not be late for your pick-up. The driver was as grumpy as hell and was not prepared to wait for someone who was not out on the side walk when he arrived. While it made o difference to me (I was on the shuttle), I did feel for the person who had been left behind.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends