“Call an exterminator!”

The Opal San Francisco
Ranked #100 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed November 16, 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to book our stay at The Opal because of the low price and overall positive reviews. We arrived late in the evening, and I immediately felt that this was not an area in which I'd be comfortable walking around, even during the day. The hotel provides only the most basic amenities and is quite old and in need of some updates; our room smelled musty and the carpet was very damp upon arrival. The walls are very thin; we were able to hear everyone passing in the hallway, as well as the people in the room next door, very clearly. On this first impression, I would have given The Opal an average review.

However, one morning after my shower, I found a dead cockroach in my bath towel! Needless to say, I refused to stay there another night. We requested a refund for the unused night and parking. What troubles me most about this incident is the fact that someone in the laundry room could overlook a dead cockroach while folding towels. What else is being overlooked by the staff at this hotel?

Room Tip: If you're planning a trip to San Francisco, I highly recommend spending a little extra money and...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah B
DIerk D, General Manager at The Opal San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Thank you for your response. I can certainly understand your issues and how they affected adversely affected your stay. I apologize for the experience you had at my hotel and assure you that it is not the level of service that I expect from our property. In regards to the age of our hotel, I am actually in the process of planning a renovation of some sort. We are definitely aware of the age of our property and the need to do some updates. Obviously, the insect issue is an unforgivable, isolated incident. We do have a quarterly pest prevention procedure which tries to ensure that our entire property is pest free, I can certainly give more details upon request.

Again, I am sorry for the caliber of your stay and hope that you might give us a second chance. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss any of your issues.

Best Regards,

Dierk Demers

Write a ReviewReviews (1,162)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Opal is well located for travelling around SF. The room was a little on the small side and a little dated; but they kept it clean and well serviced. I missed not have coffee making facilities in the room, but there was coffee 24/7 in the lobby. There is a great continental breakfast; just help yourself. The staff are friendly and helpful - happy to spend time telling you where to go and how to get there.

I found having access to a laundry useful.

Would I stay at the Opal again? Yes I would. SF is an expensive city, and The Opal met my needs at the price I could afford.

One word of caution; if you use the airport shuttle that Opal recommends; do not be late for your pick-up. The driver was as grumpy as hell and was not prepared to wait for someone who was not out on the side walk when he arrived. While it made o difference to me (I was on the shuttle), I did feel for the person who had been left behind.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We travelled to San Fran last minute and booked into the Opal.

It was alright, location was really good and easy to get everywhere. The hotel itself is really very old and needs some attention, it even smells old. The room was clean but dated, no fridge in the room and very basic amenities. There is no room service, but a diner next door which the front desk staff reccommended that we avoid.

It is also really noisy, we could hear the elevator from our room which was around the corner.

Breakfast was non existent. A muffin and some bad coffee.

To be honest I guess I expected more for my money.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

It was very clean, and in a great location - in the heart of San Francisco. Like many other reviews on here and other sites, we found the front counter staff to be very rude, and had a poor attitude. Although the cleaning staff were very friendly and accommodating.

The entire hotel - the lobby, lifts, and the room itself were very dated and in desperate need of a renovation. Also the "free breakfast" was a joke. It was essentially coffee, a muffin, a hard boiled egg, and some toast. The free wifi worked quite well, although we needed to re-login every day which was a bit annoying.

I can't complain too much because given the location we got it for a very affordable price. I'd say if you're after an affordable hotel in the heart of San Francisco this is a good place, however don't expect much.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank JacksonCooper
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Opal is like many of San Francisco's small hotels. An older building with refurbished rooms, pleasant, helpful staff; and if you want to be on or near Van Ness Avenue, an excellent location. But their room rates vary with the market. If you come close to $100/night you'll do fine, but don't pay their rack rate unless you're desperate. The iconic Mel's restaurant chain (remember American Graffiti?) shares the building--great American food at a fair price.

Room Tip: Ask for the rear for quiet. You don't need the elevator for the second floor.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2012

When I saw the rates for this hotel I was a bit nervous of what it would offer. It was wonderful and one of the best prices in the downtown area. The location is perfect and close to China town, Japan town, and the wharf. It is central and has easy access to all activities. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. It had an old time charm around the hotel but the rooms were very modern. The staff were very helpful and made us feel very comfortable during our stay. It was nice also to start off the day with breakfast with fresh fruit, muffins, bagels, and the like. Overall, our stay was perfect and we would stay here again in a heartbeat. I am sorry I ever doubted this hotel...perfectly wonderful!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bluhm_S
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The opal is in an interesting neighborhood of SF and it is fairly easy walk to Moscone Center. The staff here is super. I had several issues during my stay with my luggage and arranged transportation (none of them issues with the hotel), and the staff at the Opal was helpful at every turn and flexible with any special requests I had as a result of other people's screw ups. They really embodied hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business