“Good central place,great customer service”
Review of Redwood Inn

and 1 more site!
Redwood Inn
Ranked #156 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The Redwood Inn is in many ways just an ordinary hotel/motel, but its location and the very friendly service by the owners sets it apart.
In walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf, the steep bit of Lombard Street and anywhere near Golden Gate Bridge makes this place very attractive. Even though slightly set back from the busy road there is traffic noise in the rooms which so obviously comes through the ill-fitting doors rather than the windows,so if sensitive to that kind of noise don't stay here.We got used to it quickly and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. No request was too hard for the owners who went out of their way to help which makes all the difference during a stay. Also easy parking, even after we had checked out. Would recommend the Redwood Inn for a stay that doesn't break the bank.

Room Tip: Quite possibly a room towards the back cuts out a bit of traffic noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Puddy2409
There are newer reviews for Redwood Inn

Reviewed September 28, 2013

My wife, son, and I stayed 22-24 SEP 2013 at Redwood Inn. Located at 1530 Lombard St. (Hwy101) it is nicely located near Fisherman's Wharf and is also close to the GG Bridge and other attractions. The parking is of enormous benefit to those arriving by car but motel is also close to bus stops as well. Immaculately kept and staff IS very friendly and caring. This is one of the most affordable and best located accommodations you'll find in SF which is a city I still know pretty well. We all slept well, the beds are adequate and room temp controls worked well. I recommend using the fan to soften traffic noise from Lombard Street which is a busy thoroughfare. A small refrigerator and microwave oven are provided. I highly recommend this motel and will not hesitate to stay there in the future. TheJammer

Room Tip: rooms on north side are quieter
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jean j
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was glad I read others reviews and stayed here (9/20/13-9/22/13). The owners are great, extremely friendly, knowledgeable about area and events and made sure we had everything we needed. The room and grounds are very clean and safe. The location is perfect, walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf and other tourist attractions. I would absolutely stay here again. Nice and affordable. I will also say the noise of the street could not be heard in our room. We were tucked back a bit (room 38) but face Lombard and no complaints here. You'll be happy you stayed here! =)

A little tip...if you take the stairs all the way to the roof (no access though, gated off), you have a beautiful view of the Golden Gate Bridge.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bridget W
Reviewed September 26, 2013

After reading the other reviews on Tripadvisor I must say that they were pretty much dead on. The Owner, Mae, was a friendly as has been reported. She was exceptionally helpful and congenial. The parking was free which was nice in SF. We requested a room toward the rear of the complex as we had read that Lombard St. is noisy. It is very Noisy and the rear room was very nice. The motel was very, very, clean. The rooms are sparse but adequate. The location is very good for all kinds of tourist things. Our room did not have the kitchenette but did have a coffee maker and fridge. Also had a microwave but we did not use it. Ultimate question, would I stay there again, absolutely.

Room Tip: Room 44 has a great view from the front window and is on the quiet side of the motel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Scott T
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We were looking for a affordable hotel/motel in San Fran, but didn't know what area we should stay in. Its our first stay in SF. Tripadvisor were checked and we could only find bad neighborhoods where people had had bad stays.....!

But, we found this nice hotel, free parking for our Camaro, free coffee in the clean room. Very friendly and helpful staff. The beds were good.

The hotel is only 10-15 min of walk to pier 39, cable cars and all they tourist-blabla :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LonepigeDenmark
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at the Redwood for the entire America's Cup regatta in September, 2013. May and Yan (the owners) are very congenial, my room was large and super-clean and looked-out on the street (not the parking lot). I even flew from New Zealand flag from the balcony. It is in a good location. Easy walk to bus routes and the beach. Not many good breakfast places (like further west on Lombard) but the Chestnut St. Diner (one street over) is good enough. People make a place and the Redwood owners are about as good as you can good. Very friendly and helpful. I have already told May that, when I return to San Francisco, I stay there. My experience was in contrast to other America's Cup visitors staying elsewhere on Lombard St. I think the Redwood Inn is a good choice.

Room Tip: Facing the street is good. Lot of traffic on Lombard but Redwood has double-glazed (soundproof) wind...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Roger B
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had booked a room for 3 nights based on the good reviews and have to say that we were disappointed. The hotel is old and rundown; our Queen room on the 4th floor (with an old kitchenette) had thin walls (considerable noise from the people in the room next door), a musty smell, old TV, scratchy sheets and all in all just wasn't comfortable. That said, we appreciated the friendly staff, the parking, the size of the room and the wifi (which worked well), which makes it ok for San Francisco.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple