“Big room and good value on a big event weekend.”
Review of Redwood Inn

and 1 more site!
Redwood Inn
Ranked #158 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I just spent 4 nights here. It was the only budget hotel I could get into at short notice over the gay pride weekend. It's actually a great location because it's out of the busy-ness of the Union Square hotels, and I could walk down to the waterfront every day- along to Fisherman's Wharf and pier 39. It's also a 10 minute walk to Ghiardelli Square. There's public transport everywhere - buses to downtown and The Haight in the next street. The bed was comfortable and the room dark, so I slept well. There's traffic noise on the street but it quietened down at night. And it's a great deal for this time of the year. I received a discount for staying 4 nights. Staff are friendly and there's a fridge and microwave in the large rooms. I stayed in room 36. If you don't like street noise, ask for a room off the street. 36 was fine.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Christine B

Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were lucky to find this hotel (with free parking), as every hotel on Lombard Street was fully booked. We stayed for 2 nights and surely we will come back another time. The room and bath were clean and comfortable, and the location is superb for all the action at Fisherman Wharf. 15 min walk and you are where everything happens. The owner and the staff are very helpful and we will anyday recommend this hotel to friends ( and you ).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MissFairway
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We only stayed for one night as the hotel was fully booked; I would've stayed longer. It was comfortable and clean. The decor is a bit dated but everything worked and was in good repair. The people running the show were friendly and helpful and let us leave our car parked for a few hours even after we had checked out

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JeffO_Can
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We drove, so their guaranteed free parking spot, with room to get in and out, was the biggest plus for us. They are within walking distance of the wharf and the "hop-on, hop-off" sightseeing tour buses stop within a block. We booked with the "blue bus" and it stopped on the same side of the street and came every 20 minutes. I figured we wouldn't get much for the price, but boy, was I wrong! This motel room was the cleanest I've ever experienced! There was daily maid service, and a small refrigerator in the room. We went to a Safeway and bought things to eat we kept in the fridge. We didn't have a microwave in our room. I was worried that we'd experience too much road noise as we were in the front of the building on the 4th floor, but it wasn't a problem. I was also elated to find that they have an elevator! May and the others that work the desk were very helpful and went out of their way to explain the city to us. The only drawbacks were the slow Internet service, (sometimes it wouldn't even load) and the shower's touchy hot/cold regulator. I just couldn't get it in the right place, so the water was either scalding or too cold. (It may have just been an issue with room # 41.) Otherwise, we had a wonderful stay. The beds were comfortable and so was the air conditioning. We had two queen beds and stayed 4 nights. The price was so right! ($129/night) We'd definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Our top floor room may have made sleeping a more pleasant experience.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I can't believe this place cost $100 + tax ($113). It feels like a place you'd pay by the hour. Everything is run down. It looks like it was last remodeled in the 80's, stains on the carpet everywhere. You have the hibee jibees just walking around inside the room. First thing we did was check for bugs on the mattress. Yes, it's that kind of place. It is super noisy. Again, the windows are 30+ years old and you can hear every little noise outside. We got a room in the back where it was "quiet" but the walls are paper thin.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Anywhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KWallender
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The couple running the hotel are very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are absolutely huge, my advice to stay on the top floor in the back where noise will be less. Our room had a large bed, fridge, coffee machine, kitchen and WC. Totally spotlessly clean. Parking is free.

Other people have commented the traffic is noisey but we did not hear it and slept like a log. We actually arrived a day early back from LA and thought the Redwood was fully booked so we went across the street to the opposite Motel which wanted $289 per night, the Redwood was $139 and they found us a room eventually when we refused to pay the ridiculous $289 across the road.

The hotel is convenient for Golden Gate, Lombard St bendy road, Fishermans Wharf. Buses leave from the top of the Street to Mission and other areas and a taxi to North Beach is $8.

The only complaint I have is the WiFi is not fast but it is free.

Overall highly recommended.

Room Tip: Top floor in the back
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a spacious no-frills room in a fairly central area of San Fran.
Pros:
Cost
Spacious and clean room
Microwave, fridge, coffeemaker
Central location - easy to catch hop on, hop off and other buses.
Owners are very helpful with directions, attractions, etc
Heat & A/C worked great; tons of hot water

Cons:
Old and rundown building
Very very noisy - our room was right on Lombard St. Fortunately, I brought ear plugs and slept great. My husband less so b/c he likes to be able to hear all night. Bring ear plugs and ask for a room at the back.
No frills - only toiletry provided was soap - no shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc.
I was disappointed that I both emailed ahead of time and asked at check-in about CAA/AAA discount and got sort of a round-about response and they never did give us the discount (which I heard quoted on the phone to another customer as $10 cheaper per night) - this felt rude & unfair to me. Otherwise, I'd probably give the hotel 4 stars.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple