“Clean room, fine accomodations, but definitely a budget hotel.”

City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco
Ranked #210 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 5, 2010

The room was clean, most of the fixtures were fairly new. Elevator was out. Had some young, LOUD kids partying one night. Bed was comfortable. Towels in bathroom were terrible, thin and rough. Iron didn't work. Fairly noisy when housekeeping rolls their carts on the stony sidewalks. Cheap, great location. Front desk check in was VERY slow and not friendly. Check out was quick and really friendly. Worst thing was the room did not have do not disturb sign, so I made one. But housekeeping kept knocking and trying to unlock my door, one day called the room. Do not disturb means leave me alone! Also had very little toilet paper left and they didn't refill it. It's fine if you are on a budget, but just know what you are getting, don't expect any service.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed August 30, 2010

Cheapest place to stay within a mile of downtown by about $50 a night. I did a few minutes of research before deciding to stay here. I knew it wasn't going to be the cleanest, quietest , or featured packed hotel. Check in was simple. There is a clearly marked sign that says $125 hold is placed. The sign was also pointed out to me during check in. I dont know of a hotel that doesnt have some sort of damage policy. Didnt bother me in the least. Elevator was broken. Whatever, we are young and fit. Ice machine was broken. There is a great store around the corner, Gar Mar, sells everything from ice to nail clippers. Bathroom was a little moldy here and there. With 99% humidity most of the year I could see this happening. I think I got a few bed bug bites. Got a parking spot. Walls are thin. AC/heat broken. Big gap under door.

Great coffee shop around the corner. Go to Sight Glass if you just want coffee. Go to Brain Wash if you want coffee and food. About 4 blocks to Market street. A fare share of homeless to get through to get there.

I knew what I was in for and I saved a few bucks. I might stay again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dougs1741
Reviewed August 3, 2010

This was the cheapest hotel available on the website I used to plan my trip to San Francisco, and as a veteran of youth hostels and dive hotels throughout Europe, I figured I could handle this place. I was wrong. I was drawn to the low price, free parking and central location, but those things didn't outweigh the bad things.

I arrived around 6pm to find the office locked with a sign on the door saying something like "back in 5 minutes". I waited longer than that, shivering in the cold, for the receptionist to return, only for him to argue with me that he had not been gone for five minutes, so I couldn't possibly have been waiting for as long as I was. Uhh...okay, man, whatever. Per their policy, which was NOT explained when I made my reservation online, he proceeded to charge an additional $150 on my credit card, which would be refunded after my checkout assuming there's no damage to my room. At least, I HOPE that's the case, because this sounds really shady and I'm going to be checking my CC balance very closely now.

My room was across the street from the office, in an annex that desperately needs renovating, and for all of it's shortcomings, the worst was the thought that I might bring bedbugs home with me just from being there. Red flag #1: the sign saying that anyone suspected of carrying bed bugs would be turned over to the Department of Health or something. That's when the true fear began to set in. Red flag #2: The bed in my room had some kind of plastic mat between the mattress and the sheets. I figured it for some kind of bedbug containment device, because I really don't know why else a hotel would put such an incredibly uncomfortable thing on a bed when clean sheets and mattress pads would normally be hygienic enough. I couldn't get any sleep on it because it made me sweat even with no covers, but that ended up not being an issue since I couldn't sleep anyway because of the constant fear that I was being bitten.

Even if this place is proven 100% bedbug-free, I still wouldn't advise anyone to stay there, ever. The staff is rude, the building is decrepit (they can't even bother to clean or change the filthy carpet and walls?!), the walls are paper thin (you can hear your neighbors talking), and the showers are gross. Oh, and there's no cable, even though the website I booked though listed it as an amenity. The TV in my room got HBO, PBS, and the CW or something -- that's all. The only good thing is that San Francisco offers enough to do that I didn't spend much time in my room.

The bottom line: Don't stay here. If this is the only hotel you can afford, do yourself a favor and find someone to let you crash on their couch, or find a cheap hotel outside of the city and drive in. I truly regret the time I spent at this dive, and I think pretty much anywhere would have been better.

1  Thank vero600
Reviewed August 1, 2010

If you like being treated like you are an inconvenience and a nuisance, then you will like this hotel. I bought a Southwest Vacations package and it was fully paid in advance a month before arriving. The desk clerk, a man named Ram, kept saying in broken English that it was not paid for and he needed to charge my credit card. This went back and forth for several minutes and the supervisor (manager?) came out from the back and looked at the screen and talked to Ram and finally Ram admitted it was paid for. Did he apologize? No.
This hotel is divided into two parts on opposite sides of the street. The part across from the main check-in has NO ELEVATORS but three floors. Even the first floor is up a flight of stairs. Since I knew I would have a lot of luggage I called the day before and requested a room in the main part of the hotel and the woman who I spoke to siad that would be fine and I heard her typing it. When Ram assigned me to a room, it was not in the main part, but across the street. I told him about my phone call, and he said there were no rooms in the main part available. When I objected, the same man from the back came out and said "She didn't know. If you spoke to me, I would have told you. You booked a double bed, and all those rooms are across the street" and walked back to his office. I asked Ram what kind of beds were in the main part, and he said "Full." Did that mean "double" or was he ignoring my question? All this was taking so long a line was forming behind me. Then Ram said "Your room is across the street. If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else." I have never been treated so rudely by hotel staff. I would like to have gone somewhere else, but the events I was attending were just a couple of blocks away, so I didn't need a rental car. The events were very popular, so I knew all the hotels in the area would have no available rooms. So I had to stay. While all this was going on, I was looking at the signs in the lobby. One said "If you are suspected of bringing bed bugs into the hotel you will be surrendered to the Health Authorities and fines will be imposed." Another one said, "Breakfast consists of ONE cup of coffee, ONE pastry, and ONE glass of juice. God forbid you get a refill on your coffee - would they surrender you to the police? The next day I noticed a sign in the room saying room cleaning ended at 2pm. So I rushed to get ready and left at 1:30. I saw the maid and asked her if she would do my room. She frowned and said "I thought you didn't want service." I said "I do want service." She said, "Come in late, leave late," and shook her head. Apparently the maids think you need to schedule your life around their schedule, rather than the other way around. Obviously the manager does not train the staff. The room was TINY and the bed was hard as a rock. What a nighmare!

3  Thank Hercules2
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We paid double the normal price for this hotel because it was a Street Faire Weekend.
We chose it because it was near where we need to be. Waited 20 minutes to check in while the one attendant was helping other and on the phone. This hotel has it rooms spread over properties on both sides of 7th st. We stayed in the older annex area.
Room was small and cramped. AC did not work. Most the electrical outlet did not work.
TV got 3 stations. Shower flow was non-existent with towels you could see through and use to scrape your bunions. The bed frame stuck out past the mattress and you nearly killed your self when you moved around the bed. Needless to say it was HORRIBLE

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nlchavez
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I found bugs in the hotel room. Since there were only few bugs I decided not to complain or report it to the hotel. After I checked out, the hotel is accusing me of bringing bugs in the room. Now I am trying to resolve the problem , hotel staff are not being very cooperative. I wanted to talk with higher authority but the manager wont give me any required information. The hotel is charging me $250 for the bugs that was already in the hotel room.

Reviewed July 5, 2010

The hotel itself is well taken care of and in a great location on Folsom, and the rooms are also decently clean; however, my friend and I were very disappointed with the service. The hotel staff is unorganized and frequently confuses items like length of stay, guest names and most importantly, the rate per night. Several times we had to reaffirm the price that we were quoted in order to avoid overcharges. When we were checking out, it took the concierge 10 minutes to produce an invoice and it ended up containing incorrect information. Without my knowledge I was charged an extra $100 on my credit card, which even after several calls and after I had faxed them the invoice with the amount clearly marked, they kept on giving me the runaround and insisted they had charged me correctly, which was untrue. Overall, the hotel itself is a decent place but the customer service is horrible and does not appear honest.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business