“Pretty bad - cant believe that this holds on to it's franschse”

City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco
Ranked #208 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Oakland, California
“Pretty bad - cant believe that this holds on to it's franschse”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Reception - rude. Management - tight - there is an amazing list of charges in the room - $500 for an IKEA lamp. Location good and parking good. Otherwise desperation would be the only reason you would stay here (it was for me - turned up not reaslising that this weekend was Gay Pride and the whole town was booked out). You have to laugh thought - at reception there is a note that says "The free breakfast consists of a coffee, an orange drink and a single pastry - if you want any more here is a list of local resturants". Sort of "we know we are rubbish, so go here if you are still hungry" or "we know our rooms are dirty, here is a name of a damm good disinfectant". SF hotels are not cheap - this one isnt cheap but it doesnt need to be so nasty - odd thing, the physical hotel isnt so bad and it wouldnt be that bad a place to stay if the manager stopped hating the customers. Definitely one for the third world

Room Tip: Go to the BEst Western
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Des W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Decent location, terrible rooms, noisy due to street, TV did not function, curtains dirty and with holes, overall: would never go again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Sebastian S

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Perhaps we were spoiled by the great, cheap, room we had in Vegas but, man, this place (three times the price of the Vegas motel) was Not Good. It takes a lot to make me want to write a bad review but I feel compelled to warn you all off.
Booked online - no option for twin room so booked a double and sent an email requesting a twin. Never heard anything back and when we arrived they had booked us into a double room. No offer to move us or even apologise. The staff member behind the desk actually said "and it's quite a small double bed too". They did give us the option of a rollaway bed we could use.....for $20 a night.
When we got into the room there wouldn't have been room to put a rollaway bed anyway! The bed that was in there had a chunk of metal sticking out of it that gashed my friend's foot. Rat-trap on the floor also didn't exactly fill us with confidence either. Walls so thin I could hear a guy in the next room cleaning his teeth.

Charged a $125 "security deposit" to my credit card at check-in, which I've never encountered before and don't yet know if I've got back.
They certainly are mercenary in this place. In your room is a long list of what they'll charge you for every item should they become damaged/lost. From $1300 for the curtains down to $2 for each battery in the remote control.
You can't even dial a toll-free (75cents) or local call (75cents + 77cents per min) for free. In most other places I've stayed everything bar long-distance is gratis.
On our last day I asked at the desk about booking a cab as we had to leave at 2.30am to get to the airport. Was told, no problem just call from your room half an hour beforehand. Which is what I did. Was told by the chap on the end of the phone that they don't do that before 4am(?!?!) and to "just go out on the street and hail one".
Which is what we had to do since the cab company (which my local friend had given me a number for) could only accept calls made from the lobby not a room (which I found out during an abovementioned Expensive Phonecall) and the phone in the lobby was apparently "not working" when I went over to ask.
So me and my - female - friend were out on the streets of downtown SF looking for a cab, which SF is not the best place for, at 2.30am on a Saturday night with all our luggage. We may as well have been wearing a sign saying "Hi we're desperate tourists please mug us". The cabbie that picked us up got a gratefully large tip I can tell you.

I picked this motel as it wasn't in the "Tenderloin" area (a bit of a no-go zone apparently) and it was close to town and my friend's apartment. I made a mistake. Choose another place.

Room Tip: Don't bother. Even the best room in the place wouldn't make it worthwhile.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Cherryredpinup
Santa Cruz, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

This hotel was a nightmare, almost to the point of being comedic. Front staff were rude and place was dirty, but for price, we still considered ourselves lucky to get in a hotel for under 200$ on such a busy weekend. In middle of night, my bed collapsed (boxspring fell to floor in one corner of bed). When me and my roommate asked for extra towels (two extra on top of two we were given), we were given grief on why we needed more towels and then were told they had none. We were told to find Housekeeping, but of course, they too said they had none. And of course, to add to a horrible experience, our car, along with 3/4 cars in parking lot had windows smashed in and were burglarized. We advised front desk, who acted as if "too bad." It was their parking lot we paid for $20.00 a night for, but when we asked for refund, they adamantly denied we were charged for parking. So of course, we showed them receipt, that had the $20.00 parking fee they added to our on-line booking. The front desk "freaked" out and said they didn't know why we were charged that, as they don't charge for parking. And of course, regardless of the error, they still refused to refund any money. Even worse, the front desk accused us of "probably" leaving valuables in car," promoting our victimization (which we didn't). This experience was horrible, even for price, and I would encourage anyone looking for a good deal to look elsewhere, as this was no deal!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Aimee L
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012 via mobile

Thea F.
5 friends
1.0 star rating
15 hours ago
If I could give negative stars, I would. Everything in the other reviews is true. My husband and I booked 2 months before our trip through them directly. A few weeks before our trip, the hotel called my husband to confirm his reservation. They said he had booked two rooms, when in actuality he booked only one queen. They corrected the mistake and we thought all was well. We take an expensive cab ride to the hotel, and when we arrive, she (ivy, the incompetent receptionist with a weave who makes her look like Rick James) notified us that our card had been declined since she booked us two rooms at FULL rate. She told us that she sold our room and the only thing left was a full priced king room for MORE than double what we booked it for. She called her manager and let us know the manager wasn't going to reverse anything or give us the original rate. Of course furious, we had to walk around downtown sf looking for a room last minute which of course is crazy expensive. Our hotel cost should have only been $330 after tax and now we are stuck paying $900 for 3 days. I will make sure to tell everybody I know to AVOID this place at all costs, even the cheap rates are too much for the ugly cheap hotel.

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank Theafear
Chandler, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

We were given a rate for a low priced simple room, paid for it and got our confirmation number, then flew all day, took a bus into town, then a taxi, then got to this rat hole, and were rudely told we had to take a MUCH more (almost double) room for reasons unknown, because the owner speaks only through the clerk, and never face to face to guests! Looking around the place, and the local people pan handling out in front, it should be condemned as a public slum. We refused! And will fight this with the credit card co because the hotel says we WILL pay the full amount! So we had to take another very costly taxi to a clean hotel, and with no reservations, had to shell out triple the low ball rate the knights inn quoted then backed out of. If you stay here, you will become a believer like the rest of us! it is a cockroach trap! stay Away!

Room Tip: Do not even risk your health and finance here!
Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark C
MA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is pathetic. Don't stay here to spoil your nice trip in lovely city of SF.

Pros : NOTHING

Cons :
1. Extremely small room. No 2 people can stay in the same room.
2. Dirty.
3. Bed bugs.
4. Smells horrible.
5. Horrible breakfast.
6. Front desk people very rude.

DONT STAY OVER HERE.....