“Because it was the ONLY room left!”

City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco
Ranked #206 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Sacramento, California
“Because it was the ONLY room left!”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We arrived an hour before check in and the staff was kind enough to allow us to park our car and leave our bags with them, no charges or hassle. Upon our return that night, check in was quick and easy! EVERY staff member was kind and curteous.... BUT that is where it all ENDED.
My two friends and I dragged our luggage ACROSS the street (the hotel has rooms on BOTH sides of the street) and then up TWO flights of stairs... no REAL big issue, YET.
Upon entering the room, we were OVERWHELMED with the smell and filth. The drapes have probably NEVER been cleaned, (at one time, they must've been beige, but now are more a GREY-BLACK color). The bedding was stained. Only ONE bed had a mattress pad cover, but both (AT LEAST) mattresses were wrapped in plastic. I assume this is because of bed bugs or something. It was great to find dried boogers on the walls, right at eye level when lying in bed.
I entered the bathroom and found a smoked cigarette on the floor, next to the tub. The sink was spotless, but the tub was pretty gross. NONE of us took a shower, but I washed off my feet. More watered poured out of the faucet were it met the wall than the faucet itself.
Needless to say, if other hotels weren't booked solid, we would have stayed somewhere else.
Overall, we would not recommend booking here (even though the staff was super nice and helpful). The place is dirty and the housekeeping is non-existent.

Room Tip: Just don't!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank A C
Knights240, Front Office Manager at City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
We did apologize for the bed bugs and we do not bring them in and unfortunately they are brought in by travellers and we are taking many preventive care and it is a challenge, I will speak to my housekeeper of 14 years as she is very thorough and the details of cleanliness. We are very clean hotel and work very hard to maintain a very a clean and safe hotel. We offer a great value, free limited parking, convenient yet quiet location, free lite continental breakfast, free wi-fi and a friendly/knowledgeable staff. Thank you for your comment, we will definitely increase our efforts to screen out possible bed bug carriers and work closely with Homeland Security and the San Francisco Health Department to inspect luggage/hand luggage before check-in.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Czech first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 17, 2011

So my girlfriends and I ran in a marathon this past weekend and unfortunately waited too long to reserve a hotel so we got stuck here. And I mean stuck! Our room was scary! Our first look at the room revealed drapes that were blackened with dirt and stains, a wet cigarette on our bathtub, and torn and stained bedspreads. There was no mattress pads on the bed, so we tried to sleep on sheets over top of plastic. After a terrible night sleep we got up to find a tic crawling up one of our walls! We flew out of the room only to get home and actually have a huge bug come out of our suitcase! After reading the reviews I have to say that the staff was actually really really nice, and it was awesome to have secured parking... but everything else was awful! Never again will we ever stay here, and I will warn all others even considering it!

Room Tip: Try somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sally M

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed October 1, 2011

What's really interesting about all of the reviews here is that the hotel GM has responded to every single one. But notice she makes not one apology and is defensive in every one, even making accusations back at the guests. This, dear travelers, sums up the experience you will have at the Knights Inn Downtown.

I agree with Mantraveler regarding the staff. But Varsha GM please note he used the word "apathetic" not "pathetic". Apathetic means disinterested and unconcerned which is exactly how I would describe the staff at this hotel.

Also she constantly defends the wait times saying 15-20 minutes is fine. I agree that would have been fine. But I waited 1hr and 25 minutes to check in! My partner walked to Starbucks and back and I had moved one place in line! And the check in person was so unbelievably slow. And just didn't care. And made no apology for the wait time.

My room key stopped working at the same time every day. And of course that meant lining up again in reception for a new key.

There is no fridge in the room. Why?

They advertise cable TV but there are about 10 channels max.

The towels are so small they're barely wrapped around me.

The rooms are very noisy - you have to sleep with the a/c on so that you can't here the cleaners literally yelling at each other outside your window.

But all of this is insignificant compared to the issue of the staff and their terrible attitude. And judging on Varsha GM's comments here, it is no surprise - she obviously has no concern for customer satisfaction either and therefore condones it with her staff.

I will say this on a positive note - the location in proximity to the Folsom Street Fair is outstanding. However, there are a handful of other hotels with equal proximity.

I will never stay in this hotel again. And would seriously warn anyone against it. These reviews are not exaggerated - it is simply terrible.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank aussie_massage_guy
Knights240, General Manager at City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Guests,

We have addressed the speed of check-in with my Front Desk clerk, which caused you all the aggravations, however, its often been the guest in front of you does not have enough money on their debit card, when we very specifically ask for a major credit card upon check in, which can cause delays up to 15-20 minutes or even 45 minutes, there are many small reasons, but we do not do it intentionally. We are a small hotel and doing our level best, and realize we can not meet everyone's standards and you have other choices, but to take out all your anger on us after staying with us for 1 to 3 nights is questionable and very disheartening, as my staff is working hard and myself every day. From the thousands of guest who stayed with us thus far this year, it is become evident the chronic complainers use TripAdvisor to voice their anger, and disappointment, as a rule, you do not like the place immediately within 5 minutes in entereing a room, then why stay, because you can't afford another hotel or there were no other rooms available - these are poor excuses, if you do not like my hotel, then don't stay at all, we galdly will cancell your reservation without a charge, but not after messing it up and using it for 2 hours, within 15 minutes you must voice your concerns in a mannerful behavior and stop this uncivilized and ill-manner behavior. Wishing you all peace and a pleasant life.
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Other reviews were correct. The best thing we can say was that it offered off-street parking within view of our room.

• Stayed September 2011
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I agree with all of the other reviews that say this hotel is shabby and run down. Staff are slow and totally not helpful. We had a "suite" across the street, well OMG, It was like something out of a horror show. We came from Canada and didn't know the city at all. We had picked up a hotel guide along the way and the Knights Inn was the featured hotel so we thought it had to be okay. Who ever put out that guide should be sued. Thank God we were able to find another hotel the next day. The room had bed bugs and when I told the person at the desk she accused me of bringing them with me.
I tried to get a hold of Varsha Patel but she never called us back. I see she is quick to respond to bad reviews though. You are better off sleeping on the street instead of staying at this dump!!! Varsha wake up and smell the coffee! Go across the street and sleep in one of your rooms then you will know what everyone is talking about.

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank evelyn d
Westland, Michigan, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Issue:
My room was unclean and poorly taken care of. I check out of the hotel shortly after I arrived and had to find other accommodations. The GM Varsha Patel refuses to refund my money as she insists that I used the room.

Summary of Events:
When I checked in on 8/30 from the time I got the room key I had to wait so that I could get my baggage from the storage area where I left it earlier that day. Then it took me a while to drag my very large suitcase up 2 flights of stairs and even get to the room. I could have packed lighter, but I assumed that there would be an elevator in the hotel.

When I arrived in the room I noticed that the comforter was ripped and stained. This made me very uncomfortable. I checked in the bathroom and I used a piece of toilet paper to check the cleanliness of the bathroom. It was not as fresh and clean as I would expect. The window in the bathroom was open and I couldn’t figure out how to close it. Returning to the bedroom I sought to check the actual inside of the bed.

I pulled back the bed covers and found a long black hair. I searched the covers to see if there was other evidence of hair or prior usage of the bed. I took pictures and started immediately making phone calls to find another place to stay. I had to drag my suitcase back downstairs, went across the street and I waited in line while the front desk person checked in 3 other people. Since I did not want to give a bad impression to the other potential guests, I waited patiently until they all exited the lobby, before I asked the front desk person to check me out and refund my money.

If I knew that waiting to be nice would be held against me, I would have just interrupted her in front of the other guests and demanded immediate check out.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Ann M
Desert Hot Springs, California
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Dingy and run down. Check-in was extremely slow as there was only one person at the desk and she had to handle all incoming phone calls at the same time. Overall, the place is dingy and worn. The rooms have no fridge or microwave. The wi-fi is flaky. Connection lasts no more than about half an hour.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Ron G
Knights240, General Manager at City Center Inn & Suites - San Francisco, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Thank you for your comments, I remember you as I was working in the back and heard your unnecessary comments, and you only had to wait 15-20 minutes to check-in and we are a small hotel and limited staff, but I believe we a have nice, clean hotel and you reserved our smallest/ least expensive room, so we do have a few small rooms, but they are well lited with 2 lamps equating 200 watts in a 100 sq. ft room which is quite bright, plus almost 200 watts in the bathroom fixture. Also, we are in a very convenient, yet quiet part of downtown San Francisco/SoMa District which is rare and close to the Folsom Street Fair which you attended, just 200 feet away (The Folsom Street Fair (FSF) is an annual BDSM and leather subculture street fair held on the last Sunday in September and caps San Francisco's "Leather Pride Week". The Folsom Street Fair, sometimes simply referred to as "Folsom", takes place on Folsom Street between 7th and 12th Streets, in San Francisco's South of Market district), with also free wi-fi, other hotels charge $20/day, free limited yet sufficient parking valued at $24-49/day, and a lite complimentary continental breakfast valued at $15/day and my staff is extremely professional, courteous and knowledgeable. Wishing you a kindful day.