“Best bang for your buck”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #185 of 231 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Just recently spent my third time at Hotel Whitcomb in the past several years. We come to San Francisco quite frequently since it is only a two hour flight from Vancouver and an excellent city to visit when you only have a few days-we were here for four nights. Our stay at Whitcomb has always been pleasant but this time we were given a beautiful, newly renovated room with a view of the Orpheum across the street. Other people have complained about the neighborhood but just a few blocks up is Polk Street which has some of the best restaurants in the city. There really is no reason to have to walk if you feel unsafe, Whitcomb is located at a Bart Station, F Train (which takes you directly to all the touristy areas) and the Muni bus. You can buy a pass which covers access to all of these for your stay. This same hotel in Vancouver would be double the price and is a bargin. I will stay here again without hesitation for my next trip to this wonderful city. If I had one complaint, it would be in the restaurant/lounge. While waiting for our room to be ready (we were very early but they were more than helpful at the desk-thanks Rene!) we went into the lounge for a drink. After one each, we were completely ignored by all the staff that were standing at the desk almost right next to us. When, after 15 minutes of no cocktails, we flagged someone down and asked for another. He shouted to the staff, "Are we still open?". This is at 1:15 pm on a Friday. This nice gentleman proceeded to tell us how busy they used to be in the past, doing 75-80 covers for lunch on a Friday. Here's a suggestion. Maybe serve the people you DO have. And consider lowering your hiball prices. $18 for two vodka? So-excellent hotel, wonderful staff, great rooms (thank you Rodney!!) but take your money elsewhere when it comes to having drinks here.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,160)

Reviewed January 27, 2011

Little things could improve this hotel stay. The room appeared very nice and clean until you started looking in the corners. The wood trim had layers of dust on the baseboard. Too bad, as it would only take an extra couple minutes to run a duster across the baseboard. The room is old like the hotel but that is part of the charm. The linens on the bed are wonderful. Some of the nicest I have seen. Disappointed there is not coffee maker in the room but I am sure that is because of the Starbucks in the lobby of the hotel. The area after dark on Saturday night was very scary. Lots of drugged up people and homeless. Before dark it is fine, but I was nervous and ready to go back to hotel after dark. Sunday night we were out after dark and it was not as bad. The lobby of this hotel is gorgeous and very historical. Too bad the neighborhood has gone downhill because the hotel itself is beautiful. Oh one more thing, it is a bit noisy at night. The water pipes are very loud all night long. Even with the negatives we would still stay there gain. The car parking is an additional $30.00 per day.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2011

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us your thoughts about your most recent stay. We have listened to your comments and I will share them with the appropriate departments so that we can make the necessary adjustments to make our property better. We are pleased to know that service/sleep quality/ and value all received high marks. We will do our best to bring up the other areas.

Thanks Again for your time.

Reviewed January 26, 2011

I travel for buisness alot and not a picky traveler. However this hotel looked nice online and the price was good. When I checked in I couldn't belevie how unsafe I felt walking into the hotel - this hotel is in a very very poor section of town and witnessed a drug deal on the corner while I was in the cab about to turn the corner, homeless people everywhere. While I was waiting in the long line to check in I noticed a women on the couch next to the front desk completly passed out no shoes and ripped stockings dirty hair ect. I waited over 20 minutes to check in and watched staff walk around her like this was a normal accorance. When I made it to the front of the line I told the desk clerk about the women he looked over and then told me he would check with security. I was down stairs for about 20 minutes checking in, fiddling with luggage and no one ever came to remove this women.
The room smelled a bit, very old but bedding thank god looked clean and I slept pretty good. Showers looked newly rennovated. Once daylight I took a cab and could not belive how bad the neirboorhood really was. My advice is do not stay here . The only positive I would say is the reasturant seemed clean and the food was ok .

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay in January. I can assure you that security for our guests and comfort of their surroundings is a very high priority. Please know that we take your comments very serious and will do all we can to investigate our current systems to ensure that all guests feel a sense of ease.

Again thank you for sharing.

Reviewed January 20, 2011

After a 20 hour flight from Singapore, all we wanted was a hassle-free trip to the hotel and rest our weary feet. And that's what we got as there's a BART that goes straight from the airport and stops pretty much at the hotel's doorstep. This bode well for us throughout our stay as it was very convenient and cost-effective.

Check-in was quick and painless and the hotel room was clean and spacious. Sufficient amenities, but it would have been great to have a mini fridge. The decor of the room was pretty dated, but we understand the historical significance of the hotel and how it's part of the hotel's character.

Our room, which looked like it faced another wing of the hotel, was quiet and we couldn't hear traffic or outside noises at night.

Highlights: Very convenient location that's close to a BART station and Union Square, friendly service from the staff at reception to concierge and security, Sam's Diner across the street (try the Eggs Benedict!), free wireless

Lowlights: Shady characters in the vicinity, room service stops at 10:00pm

Recommended if you are on a low-key holiday like us and not looking for a trendy and modern hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and for choosing our hotel. We are pleased to know that after such a long day of travel the hotel check in was smooth and painless. We are also glad to know that you were pleased with your accomodations. We do hope that next time you fly in from Singapore you choose to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb again.

Thanks,

Reviewed January 20, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Whitcomb over NYE and was shocked when I walked into my very clean, large room with queen bed! For $69 online! It was luxury after a long hall flight. The staff were happy to help with maps, bags and new keys when they stopped working.
It is easy to walk from the hotel down Market St to Union Square or catch a trolley car right out front.
At the end of my stay my flight was cancelled. The staff at Hotel Whitcomb accomodated me at the sane low price and calmed me in a time of distress.
A great place to base yourself when in San Francisco

• Stayed: December 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us your thoughts about your stay with us this January. I will make sure to share your kind words with our staff who work very hard to ensure that each guests feels a personal connection before they leave. We are glad that you found the room clean and a great value. We hope to see you again in the future very soon.

Thanks. Kris Betz, Director of Operations.

Reviewed January 19, 2011

I booked my room at hotel whitcomb because for the neighborhood the price was amazing and people seemed to have good reviews. I will go back everytime I visit San Francisco because not only was the price amazing for a great central location but the service was phenomenal. The rooms were recently upgraded and I thought it was plush and romantic.

The only change I'd make is the hallways, they just seemed a little creepy because they had with far too many large mirrors and weird lighting. (just a small negative in a hotel full of positives)

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the hotel Whitcomb and for taking the time to give us your feedback. We are all pleased to know that first and foremeost you will be returning next time you are in San Francisco. That is always our goal to create new and lifelong members of the Whitcomb family. We look forward to hosting another stay soon!

Thanks Again.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel itself is nice. The rooms are small, but clean and the beds are comfortable. There is a Starbucks adjoining the lobby. The location of the hotel is in a dodgy part of town, and there are numerous homeless / mentally ill people wandering the streets out the front and nearby . There is the F-line trolley/tram stop just up the road. If you can find a hotel closer to the shops or Fishermans wharf, I would choose that, soley based on the dodgy area Whitcomb is located.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time after your stay to share your thoughts with us. We are pleased to know that the room was clean and the beds were comfortable allowing for a good nights sleep. We hope that if you are returning to the area again soon you choose to stay with us again.

Thanks in Advance.