“Fantastic hotel in heart of the city!!!!”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #181 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed October 30, 2010

I have had the priviledge of staying at the Hotel Whitcomb several times during the past 16 months. Each time I approach the top of the BART escalator I look forward to seeing the jovial and singing doorman (Larry). The warmth continues as I approach the front desk to check-in. The efficiency and professionalism of each of the front desk clerks is why I have recommended this hotel to my closest friends. Four of my friends have stayed at Hotel Whitcomb and share my DELIGHT with the entire experience!!! The rooms are clean, bright, and fresh!!! Housekeeping truly goes above and beyond to satisfy any want or need... I know it might sound a bit cliche... "But I do view the Hotel Whitcomb as my home away from home when I visit San Francisco!" I want to THANK YOU ALL for the enjoyment you have provided my friends and I on each of our stays! I truly appreciate your dedication to ALWAYS striving to provide EXCELLENCE in satisfying the many and varied needs of your customers!!! Thank you so very much!... PS I love the free WI-FI too!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank ralphunlv
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2010

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for taking the time to post your comments. We really appreciate all the kind words and I will be sure to share them with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thanks Again. Kris Betz, Director of Operations.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,142)

Reviewed October 26, 2010

This hotel must have the most inattentive customer service/front desk staff I've encountered in my many years of business and leisure travel. I paid a "group rate" of $189/night and have had FAR BETTER hotel rooms for $79/night. The location is less than ideal and from my 3rd floor room heard traffic and loud screaming from folks on the street all through the night.

I made reservations for a conference months in advance and received a far less than adequate room upon check-in (short story: the room was in the fire exit stair well....let your imagination run with that!). After asking to be moved, the front desk clerk (I think his name was Renee) acted put out with me on the phone and told me to come down but he had "20-30 people in line" so i would have to wait. I immediately went down to get in "line," and guess what - no one was there. He grumpily moved us to another room that I can find no better word for than disgusting. Seriously. I do not use this term lightly.

The room was unkempt and the tub surround was full of black mold. The worse part was above the doorway in the bathroom where there was a large expanse of toxic black mold. (**See PHOTOS) I went to the desk and complained and he said "housekeeping makes rounds at 10 a.m., I'll ask them to look at it." Needless to say, housekeeping did nothing and my mother and I showered in our flip flops and were totally disgusted with the room.

I complained again, still no correcting of the situation - no one would even come look at it. The next morning, I went down and inquired again as to why the situation wasn't being addressed and he kind of shrugged me off (yes, it was the same clerk each time I complained). I informed him that I wanted to make sure I had been fair in calling the situation to their attention so they could rectify it, but needed him to know that I had taken photographs of the room and would be posting them to this site. AT THAT POINT, he got a manager. Why did it take the pictures to finally motivate him to take me seriously? That is the worst part of the customer service. It shouldn't have come to that.

The manager came up, immediately sent the housekeeping manager to the room where she was HORRIFIED and had us moved to a new, cleaner room immediately. The housekeeper said to my mother, who was staying in the room with me, "I can't believe you all have been in this room for two days" and immediately had folks in their with the clorox.

The manager comped one night of our stay. i told her i didn't want that, just wanted to have been taken seriously for the two days I spent in this awful room. We checked out the next morning.

Two major problems: front desk staff/customer service and housekeeping. The housekeeping manager was wonderful, but she must have a serious problem with her staff if they enter a room like that on a daily basis and ignore it.

This hotel is just awful; please do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts about your experience. I can assure you that we take these comments very seriously and we will be sure to address all the areas you mentioned and try to make improvements immediatley. These are isolated incidents and are not a true reflection of the staff or our hotel.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations.

Reviewed October 25, 2010

We picked this hotel mainly because of recommendations and the location. While the hotel staff were generally helpful the rest of the hotel was awful. The room we had was small and the so called bathroom was tiny. I am very slight and found it difficult to move in the bathroom, god help those who are of average size. The noise from the hotel was unbelieveable. Perhaps they have never heard of sound proofing. The slamming of doors in the morning, the running of taps in other rooms and the general noise coming from outside the corridor is appalling. I was so glad we only stayed for 3 nights. For the first time while on holiday, I couldn't wait to get away from that terrible place and go home. The location of the hotel is near the Tenderloin district which is not a good area at all. Anytime during night and day, there are countless homeless people dossing about, some are crazy, some are drunk but generally harmless. I know it's not their fault being homeless but is it a place where you want to stay during your vacation?

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neehouma

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us. We do take all guest feedback very serious and will do everything possible to address the areas you mentioned. We hope that next time you travel to San Francisco you give us another try and please contact me personally.

Thanks Again.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations.

Reviewed October 24, 2010

The night i was sick and needed to go to hospital Harvey went above and beyond to help me. it made me feel at ease considering i was visting the country. Organised a Cab for me and made sure the cab drive took me to the hospital with care. Thanks very much

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank skyedalzell
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about your experience during your stay. We all hope that you have recovered 100%. We are glad to know that our staff was able to assist and hopefully in the near future you will stay with us again.

Thanks Again,

Kris Betz Director of Operations.

Reviewed October 23, 2010

Our room was very small. No bath and no radio. But for the price ($119), it was OK. A little bit out of the action and restaurants. We walked 15-20 min to get a restaurant. But the BART is right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback about your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you found our hotel to be a great value. Please keep the Hotel Whitcomb in mind if you ever decide to return to San Francisco from lovely Canada.

Thanks Again, Kris Betz-Director of Operations.

Reviewed October 22, 2010

The location Right on Market Street with Starbucks attached to it, wallgreens to the left! easy access tram to fisherman's wharf! by foot 5 mins you're in City hall! another 10 mins more you're in Union square!! hey.. what can you ask for!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jakekang

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time post your comments about your recent stay. We agree that our hotel is in a wonderful location to see the entire city of San Francisco and the proximity to the public transit is a very unique feature of our property. We are also pleased to know that the service, sleep quality, and cleanliness of our hotel all deserved your approval. We hope that you keep us in mind next time you are in our area.

Thanks Again. Kris Betz, Director of Operations.

Reviewed October 21, 2010

When I go to SF I have always stayed at the Hotel Whitcomb (also when it was Ramada Plaza). The location of the hotel is absolutely perfect. Right on Market Street with a trolley stop right in front of the hotel. There is also a Starbucks attached to the hotel itself which makes it easy to stumble over there in the morning.

When I go to SF I mainly go for a short trips (a night or two) and therefore location is ideal for my travel style in this city. Parking is also decent (for the city) at $28 a night. Check-in has taken awhile and the size of the rooms are more European style, but still comfortable.

The price is unbeatable for the location and comfort. It's not a hotel you want to spend the day in so make sure you are able and willing to actually get out there and see the wonderful city of SF.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bran92011

Dear Whitcomb Guest,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us about your stay. We are pleased that you continue to choose our hotel and that you find our location "perfect" for your short trips to the area. We are also pleased that you found a great value and the rooms to be clean as we take a lot of pride in those areas. We do hope to see you again in the near future.

Thanks for your continued support. Kris Betz, Director of Operations.