“Great Service, Location, and Value.”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #182 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
Houston, TX
“Great Service, Location, and Value.”
Reviewed January 24, 2010

My family and I spent the 2010 Christmas week here in beautiful SF. We stayed at Whitcomb - very nice historic hotel, friendly staff, clean rooms and excellent location. The hotel was build pre-1906 earth quake, so I was a bit reassured that the building would hold should there be another quake during my stay.

I checked in during the late morning, so front desk was rather busy, but the staff was orderly and courteous. I had my family of three kids, so the friendly bell captain was a big help. Our room was nice and clean; Wi-Fi worked without any problems; heater took a while to warm up (being winter), and the dark mahogany hallway definitely had a “turn of the century” feel (checkout their ballroom on the 2nd floor). There’s also an internet café in the lobby for those of you without your laptop; Starbuck is also in the lobby – nice.

I’ve been to SF several times, but usually stayed in the financial district. Whitcomb was a pleasant surprise, great value, and an ideal location especially if you don’t have a car (and you really shouldn’t in SF). The trolley car is right outside the hotel (on Market street) that will take you to Embarcadero, Pier 39, and Fishmans’ Wharf (runs every 30 min). Cable car is about 2 blocks away that will take you directly to Ghirardelli Square (don’t forget to visit the famous Ghirardelli Chocolate) and the Cannery. If you have kids, take the trolley car to Yerba Buena - an excellent park for (3-6 years old); next to it is Sony Metreon (for your teens), and across the street is the huge Westwood Mall for your wife. The BART (SF’s subway) is also just right outside the Hotel that will take you to the SF airport or around the bay area.

I noticed there were quite of few homeless people, but being in the heart of downtown I guess it’s to be expected. If you walk east (towards pier 1), near the cable car turnaround, you’ll see a lot of “interesting” people; street musicians, chess competitions, and street artists. It’s not the most affluent crowd, but they’re harmless. Nonetheless, I would take a cab after dark as in any big city.

Housekeeping was great; had our roll-away setup before we returned to the room. We need more towels, which was brought to us with a few minutes. We had a very nice stay at Whitcomb. We'll be back. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank JYL2009
DerwoodSF, Director of Guest Services at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay during the holidays at the Hotel Whitcomb. I am so pleased that the staff provided such excellent service and that you enjoyed the historic ambiance of the hotel. I am also glad that you found the hotel's location to be excellent for exploring all of San Francisco. I hope to personally welcome you back on your next visit.
Darin Sturgill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 23, 2010

I stayed at the Whitcomb in May 2008 and choose this hotel because it was within walking distance of my company's office. Bad decision. Service is terrible - check in took forever. Worst part was my on my second night when I was awaken by a terrible odor in my room. It was hard to describe - sort of like paint and bad eggs. I called down to the front desk about 1am and told them I need a new room. They sent someone up to sniff the odor, then I had to go to the front desk and get a new room key. No explanation, apology, or anything. Just an attitude like I was causing trouble. I will never stay here again and would advise you to stay away from this hotel and the area.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for writing about your stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. I do appreciate your feedback from your stay in May of 2008. Many things have changed at the hotel in the last 2 years. We have improved our service levels and the neighboorhood has changed as well. The City of San Francisco has undertaken the mid Market Street revitilzation project which has drastically improved the neighborhood. I hope you will come back and visit us soon to experience these great improvements.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Ketchikan, Alaska
Reviewed January 21, 2010

I really enjoyed this historical hotel. The staff were very nice, and the restaurant was excellent. (The oatmeal with raisins, brown sugar, and cream was so good for breakfast, and the omelets were excellent, too.) The rooms were kind of funky victorian--not modern, sterile, and gleaming--but they were interesting, beautiful, charming, and clean. Two things bothered me about my stay. First is the location. I was at a convention at the Moscone Center 0.8 miles away. I was afraid to walk to the Center by myself, so I made sure I always went back and forth with colleagues. (There are BART stops by the hotel and by the Moscone Center--I didn't try it because I wanted the exercise.) There were a lot of homeless and mentally ill people on the streets. It was depressing. It was not a nice part of town in terms of businesses, etc. However, there were security personnel in the lobby of the hotel, which was good. Also, when I needed a taxi to leave for the airport really early in the morning, the hotel called a cab with a lady driver, which was really nice. Second, the fitness room wasn't that great. They have two cheap StarTrak treadmills, one of which was broken. They also have a stair-stepper and two bikes, one of which was broken. There is a weight machine, but the part I wanted to use was broken. Also, the room was very hot with no visible way to control the temperature. It had a nice cold water dispenser. But there was no way to wipe down the machines with disinfectant after use.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. I am so very pleased that the staff provided you with great service, that you liked our restaurant and that you found the rooms to be comfortable and clean. I am sorry you did not like the hotel's location as we are very close to all major public transportation. I am also sorry that some items in our fitness center were not working properly. These issues have been addressed and corrected.
Boston
Reviewed January 20, 2010

The Hotel is in a location convenient to Civic Center, trolleys and buses, and there is a BART stop right out front which makes it convenient from the Airport. However, that part of Market Street and the immediate surrounding area is a bit sketchy. If you plan to spend no time in your room then the value is good. The rooms are dark and outdated as are the bathrooms. The heat in our room did not work and the front desk was less than helpful.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. I am so glad that you liked the central location of the hotel. All major public transportation stops right outside our front doors. We are also within walking distance of major attractions such as the Asian Art Museum, Cityhall, the opera and ballet to name a few. I am very sorry that your heater did not work in your room. We do have an ongoing maintenance program to address just such issues.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I was put into this hotel for work. I checked in in the morning and the hotel itself seemed fine. I left and walked the five blocks to my office. Walking up the street, right near the hotel, I got the sense this was not a good area. Lots of bordered up buildings. The only things that seemed to be open and active were a few strip clubs and a sex shop. I felt I would be ok, just not to be out walking around at night by myself - at least the BART comes up right in front of the hotel. That was at 11am.

At 2pm, when heading back to the hotel - very different! Lots more people around the area, but many appeared to be homeless. It's one thing to sit and ask for money, but there was lots of yelling between them, often vulgar, harassing, and scary.

Now, let me say, homelessness is not something I haven't seen before - I live and work in DC. However, I've never seen people act these people were. In addition, there were not a lot of other people around either.

I immediate went to work to find a new hotel and checked out 4 hours after checking in. THe hotel clerk didn't blink as I did, didn't ask why I was checking out so soon. This makes me wonder if this is a frequent occurence.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
DerwoodSF, Director of Guest Services at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, January 17, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your stay with us. I am so very sorry you did not find the neighborhood to your liking. We are located in the historic "Civic Center" area of San Francisco with such sights as the Cityhall, Opera House, Asian Art Museum and Main Library within a few blocks of us. We also have all major public transportation stopping right outside our front doors.
New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2010

The best thing about this hotel is that they have good security at night, which is good, because they need it in this area. We did not feel safe at night, or during the day.
They have a room full of computers which was convenient. The restaurant in the hotel was also okay.

The bathroom is ridiculously small and the rooms well worn out. The sound of wailing sirens kept me awake all night and I couldn't wait to get out of there.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2007
El Dorado Hills
Reviewed December 28, 2009

My family and I went to San Francisco to see a play and celebrate a birthday. We stayed at the Hotel Whitcomb because of its location to the theater and reasonable prices. We were not disappointed. Upon our arrival we valet parked our car at the reasonable price of $28.00. We were greeted with an attentive and gracious staff from the receptionist to the bell person. The consignor was helpful in finding a place for desert after the play. Our dining experience in the hotel was lovely. The service as well as the food was excellent. The decor was festive and the overall experience exceeded our expectations. Traveling with two children, we found the room large enough to accommodate our needs. It was clean and the location over looking Market Street was fabulous. We are looking forward to returning to this wonderful hotel.

D. Johnson - El Dorado Hills

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank theworldtrekker
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. I am so pleased that the entire staff provided such helpful, gracious service. I am also glad that you enjoyed our restaurant, the Market Street Grill, and that you found the guest rooms to be spacious and comfortable. I look forward to personally welcoming you back on your next stay.