“Totally acceptable place to stay in SF”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #179 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We have stayed at this place a couple of times when we are in the city for the Nutcracker or the Symphany or whatnot. Consistently has low rates on Hotwire. Is in an easy walking location to the War Memorial and the Symphony. The service is fine - not great usually, but they get the job done. The one time the front desk guy was clearly out of line (texting on his phone and just ignoring guests generally) he upgraded us to a better room. The rooms are decent. They are clean enough - sometimes lights don't work, etc. We've never lost a night's sleep or regretted staying here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WorldsRoyster
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your most recent stay with us. We are pleased to know that you have stayed with us a few times and will be back again. As with any review we will listen to your comments and do all we can to make imporvements.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

The 100 yrs.+ Hotel is above average in ambiance, character and charm, in lobby, ballroom and the individual rooms. Nice decor, many historic touches. My room was clean, granite bathroom was free of mold (in damp San Fran). I walked freely on the carpet without feeling like I needed slippers. No funky smells.
Full length mirror plus another 3'X4' one over desk, plus one in the bathroom. Flat screen 46in. TV. Plenty of hot water, at least at 12 noon-2 PM. Big Closet. Ironing board and flat iron. At least 12 ft. ceilings, making what otherwise would seem like a small room for 2 very comfortable double beds (there are no Queens in the motel). They do have one King rooms. Plenty of pillows. Teeny bathroom from the old days. Window opens in room. Coffee maker is free, but you must request it. Mini refrigerators cost $21.00 a day! Parking on site is $42.00 a day but if you opt for the outdoor parking on their property, it's $25 a day. There's an attendant and a high chain link fence around the lot. I wouldn't recommend trying to get street parking on your own.
The usual terrible lighting that every hotel has these days. You have to turn every light on in the room, so they don't really save anything. The shower head was decent. for these days. Another mistake they make. Water-saving heads just make you have to stay in there longer to feel rinsed off.
I purposely asked for a room away from the elevator and ice machine. We were there for a 4-day late night(s) Event and people tend to congregate loudly around elevators while waiting for them. We found our non-smoking Room 430, to be in a quiet area. Nothing ever woke me up. Good room-darkening curtains. Housekeeping didn't barge in and honored "Do Not Disturb" signs. Important on this trip: Dance workshops all day, social dancing 'til late at night. So I needed my sleep for very activity-filled days.
We had a problem with housekeeping forgetting to leave things: kleenex one day, no coffee on another, another day no shampoo or soap. Good thing I save stuff from previous trips. I always have an extra coffee packet and bring my own hair conditioner. I don't know if this was because they couldn't get in our room 'til late every day and their superiors have a stop watch on them.
Everyone was cheerful and friendly, considering how full the hotel was. The Concierge downstairs was a most personable man and I wanted to be sure to mention him.
We didn't want to keep driving around the city while there. There are several restaurants within walking distance: Anando Fuara on Hyde St.? (Indian Vegetarian-try the Neatloaf), Basil Thai at 7th? & Folsom. A huge market at 8th & Howard, complete with a hot buffet and a separate large salad bar with soup and cornbread included, by the pound.
I can't comment on the on-site expensive? restaurant because we never went there, but they have a Starbucks with a street entrance and a hotel entrance. They had a good selection of baked goods if that qualifies as breakfast or lunch for you.
We paid the reduced Festival rate or we never would have stayed there.
Overall, a good experience.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from elevators. Find out if there's a Event taking place and ask for the speci...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are always pleased to have our SALSA members return to the hotel We appreciate all your wonderful comments and hope to see you again next year!

Thanks again.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

The location is a little urban but if you don't bother anyone they won't bother you.
The hotel is charming. The staff is pleasant.
It's clean, the rooms are decent size. Standard room comes with king size bed and it's comfy.
There's a small gym.
Lots of hang out areas.
Been staying here a while and it's been nice.
Close to everything.
Best hotel deal I've been able to get. Low price for very good quality.
Kazi Ahmed the manager was the best.
Love him. He helped with a lot of things.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay. We are so pleased that you had a great stay and that our managers took great care of your. Please keep us in mind each time you are in the SF area.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed at the Hotel Whitcomb because they host an annual Cuban dance and music event. It was the second time I stayed there and I love this hotel. It is only 1/2 block from the bart station at Civic Center. It took me only 15 minutes to get there from the airport. The room was really nice and clean and the bed was very comfortable with very nice linens. All of the staff was really nice but I'd like to mention Rolando who answered many questions before and during my stay. He was also very supportive of the event that was going on that the hotel and I found that to be very sweet. I would definitely stay here on any San Francisco trip and every year for the festival.
Thanks again!

Room Tip: I like the higher floors best.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and for the great review. We love the salsa event each year as your group has an amazing energy and people. We hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We were there last weekend with the Band Timbalive and the hotel is just great, specialty the front desk Rolando, he was just amazing, great service, always ready to help... congratulations Whitcomb hotel, we will return next time we perform in San Francisco

Room Tip: great rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank christian5849

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the great review! We always love to host any event and especially yours. I will make sure to share this review with our staff so they know they did a great job. See you again next year!

Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel is excellent, perfect for vacation, very special and elegant. I'd like to menction the kindness of all the people who work there, specially Harvey Lazo, he helped us with every needs and questions we had. We really appreciate it. I recomend Hotel Whitcomb 100%.

Room Tip: We stayed at 6th floor. Excellent view to the Civic Center.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We are really pleased that you had a great stay and that our staff was extremely helpful. I will make sure that that person is recognized.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I'm very pleased with the ballrooms throughout the hotel, especially for the workshops. Unfortunately the hotel rooms were not as expected. My room was extremely small and the bathroom was even smaller. The elevators were out of service the first half of the event and we had to use the stairs, which was not too much of a problem but as a dancer and walking up 5 flight of stairs in high heels wasn't too much fun.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank cmsoto2582

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. We are pleased that you had a great time during the event. Also we have resolved the issues with the elevators and do apologizge for any inconvenience it may have caused.