“Great place to stay”

Ranked #183 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
San Francisco, California
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

I have been to san francisco several times, and on this last trip the rates and the location seen very good. The hotel is a charming with lots of history. The staff desk staff was very helpful in particular Harvey a young man help us around and seen very knowledgeable of the city......he suggested several places that we enjoyed and really made my trip more enjoyable. Any Questions??? Look for Hatvey!!!! THE rooms where clean just a little hair found on bathroom floor.......Larry also very nice....

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank hboy75
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us. We are pleased to know that our staff was helpful and assisted you to get around this great city. We do hope that if you return to the SF area you will stay with us again.

Thanks Again,

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We stayed in the Hotel Whitcomb for the last four nights of our eleven night trip on the West Coast of America. We had previously experienced wonderful hotels in both Las Vegas and LA so were excited about what San Francisco had to offer. I had read bad reviews about this hotel but wanted to make my own mind up. Upon arrival I did notice quite a few homeless people congregated outside the hotel but none of them at this point went inside as there was a very good doorman just inside the hotel who I presume makes sure they do not venture into the inside of the hotel. He was very friendly. Check in was quite confusing as there were two queues but only one person serving whilst two other members of staff were behind the front desk shuffling paperwork and looking uninterested in the two queues of about eight people waiting to check in. The man in front of me actually said to me that he thinks he has been forgotten about. When we got to the front of the queue the man who checked us in was very friendly and efficient. I was unimpressed with the room as it was tiny and the shower was old looking with scuff marks on it and there was a horrible stain - I do not want to know what it was - above the toilet roll holder. The bathroom was also small. I have seen pictures of much bigger rooms though so I know that there are bigger rooms here. The lobby is gorgeous and as I say it has so much potential because the staff are friendly when talking to you and they do make you feel safe considering the amount of homeless people right outside the front door. I do not consider this a safe area to stay in in San Francisco as we felt a bit uneasy when walking to union Square, which is a twenty minute walk away. The location is good for public transport as the popular F-line and bus stop is right outside. The vending machine on our floor did not work so we went down to the floor below and this vending machine area smelt of urine and the lifts took forever to arrive at our floor so we ended up walking down the stairs at one point. The staff are friendly though and they arranged for a taxi for us when going to the airport and two of the workers struck up a conversation with us when we were in the lift. The rooms are also paper thin and I could hear the conversation of the couple next door to us. Lastly, when we were checking out charges were made to our room for car parking even though we did not have a car, but this problem was rectified immediately and the man on the desk apologised to us and told us it was because we had a popular surname.

Room Tip: Have a room on the lower floor so you can take the stairs instead of waiting for the lift.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah C

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Minnesota
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The hotel is very grand in style and comfortable, much more satisfactory than expected. The staff was great and always helpful. Check in and out were a breeze. Cleanliness was wonderful and even the bathroom was great, small-ish but great. Although the room wasn't huge, it was more than adequate for 2 residents and the furnishing were in great condition and in keeping with the hotel, were finer than normal. The bed was very comfortable and noise was never a problem. I would certainly recommend this hotel, especially to those on a budget. Just outside the front door are trains and buses and even the BART system, so a person can get to any part of San Francisco that they wish, with ease.

Room Tip: Try to get a room above the 6th floor so there is a view to enjoy.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel whitcomb as part of a trip within San Fran. We stayed 4 days total. We got upgraded to a king bed which was good but overall felt the hotel is outdated and needs a major facelift in the rooms. The lobby is nice and old fashioned but the rooms are so in need of a touch up. Also the Internet is soooo slow in the rooms and this is a major drawback know a days with wifi being so integral to people for looking up things to do etc. The location is a little out of town but 10-15mins isn't too bad. There are a lot of homeless about but they didn't annoy us an felt the whole city has this so the hotel is not to blame. The Starbucks adjacent is good and overall not a bad stay but felt with some upgrades this could be a great hotel. Would unlikely stay here if I returned to SF.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Elevators smelled like urine, corridors were dusty and stuffy.
The location was shady- many homeless people loitering near the hotel
No good shop around; nothing to do without at least a $10 taxi ride.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I spent a whole week in San Francisco. Only two days I did´t stay at the Withcomb and it was such a mistake. Since the moment you approach at the front desk, they offer you a warm welcome and every single detail is such a way to wrap you with their history and delicate touch, making a mixed experience about the historical city SFO is and the modern and vibrant energy of their culture and its contemporary present. Everything I needed was attended with respect, elegance and real interest to make my stay as one of the best I ever had. Beautiful rooms, cozy beds, warm people. Great stay!

Room Tip: Upper and front rooms the best...!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hoffman Estates
Reviewed February 5, 2014

3 main issues with this hotel. Walls are paper thin. As I was trying to sleep I could hear the TV next room over perfectly. The scheduled wake up call woke me up an hour earlier than I set it for my stay. While traveling for business that extra hour of sleep is critical. Finally I was not given a receipt upon checkout. I requested one and was told my room was prepaid so I could not have one. Well the room was prepaid by me through my companie's travel site. I have never gone to a hotel and not received a receipt and the when I ask for one the front desk clerk throws his hands up in frustration. I'm the one who has to dig for something to get reimbursed $500. Poor service. Every hotel I've stayed at goes out of their way to be as accomodating as possible. Hotel Whitcomb loses that desire once the bill is paid. I also agree with the other reviews regarding noise outside all hours, elevators are slow, and homeless people outside.i would not recommend this hotel for families.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank pk4578
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time in posting your review. We really appreciate all the detailed feedback that you offered. We will make sure that we share this information with our staff so that we can better server our valued customers.

Thanks Again and if you would like to contact me directly to discuss further please let know.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations