“Nice Stay at the Whitcomb”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #182 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed January 25, 2014

My husband and I switched to this hotel from one a few blocks away, as this one was more affordable. The front desk staff had been very accommodating and let us check in three hours earlier than normal. If you are new to the area, there are two gentlemen who sit at a desk in the back who are very helpful and knowledgeable about how to get around San Fran. Don't hesitate to ask for their assistance. We found all the staff to be very nice, they always say hi to you when your in the halls or in the elevator which makes for a very comfortable and inviting atmosphere. I love how they have Starbucks in the hotel! On a side note, parking in the city is very difficult, they do have onsite valet parking for $35 a night. No matter what you do, parking is expensive in the city. Finally, we found or room to be very clean and comfortable, and we would will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Opethgirl
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Opthgirl,

Thank you for choosing to come to the Whitcomb and for taking time to post your comments. We are all very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We weill share this review with the staff and make sure they know they contributed to your positive experience.

Thank you.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,153)

Reviewed January 24, 2014

My wife and I only stayed one night as we were flying out the next morning, so our experience at Hotel Whitcomb was fairly short-lived. We were impressed by the grand lobby as we first walked into the hotel, but we were then given a bad impression almost straight away.

We were the only guests in the line waiting to check in, and we waited probably 3-5 minutes while the lady at the desk was talking to one of the cleaning ladies about which floors or rooms needed to be done, and she gave absolutely no acknowledgement that we were even there. I was about to pipe up and say something (I am usually a very patient person, but it just seemed so rude), when the cleaner finally took it upon herself to stand aside to let us check in. I would have thought the lady behind the desk may have taken the initiative herself.

We then checked in with no hassles, and were handed the key-card to our room. We weren't told where the room was, we had to look at the card to find out. Once we got to our room we discovered we weren't given the Wifi code. No problem, I'll just call reception to get it. My wife tried calling reception a couple of times, but there was no answer. I'm not normally one to complain about anything, and we are far from precious people, but this really just annoyed the both of us. We had to go back to the lobby to get the code ourselves, where we were met with a guy at the desk who was a lot more helpful than the previous lady. He was very apologetic and gave us the Wifi code, so we were finally happy.

We were both happy with the room - was very spacious with a lovely bed and decent enough bathroom. We were woken at 3am by a guy in the room next to us who seemed to be having an incredibly good time ;) but this is obviously no fault of the hotel. The hallways had an almost eerie feel about them, and reminded us both of the movie 'The Shining', but I love that sort of thing (my wife not so much). You could tell it used to be a beautiful and grand place, but it just felt as if it was getting a little run-down.

Yes, there are homeless people out the front, but this is San Francisco and we never gave it a second thought. The BART station pretty much right outside the door was an absolute blessing, especially considering we had to catch the first train to the airport in the morning. Having been to SF before, we realise Hotel Whitcomb is in a handy place for sightseeing etc, but I don't think we'll be back. Our first impression when checking in just soured the whole experience I'm afraid.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wetham
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We made the mistake of allowing a 3 party to book this hotel for us as we were so busy and thought we could save some time. I'd honestly wished I'd taken the time out to do my own research on the place.

The Whitcomb hotel was sold to us a 'HIstoric Hotel of America' - 'historic' in the sense that it is in dire need of refurbishment. On entering the bedroom, there was a damp, musty smell. The room itself was dark and dingy - the lighting was far from sufficient, which seemed the case for the rest of the hotel - the corridors were really depressing and spooky. The room was small and the shower room was the size of a small cupboard!

We were supposed to stay duration of our visit in San Francisco, but couldn't bear the thought of being stuck in this hotel for 6 nights. We told a staff member at reception that we wish to check-out immediately as it wasn't what we had expected - he shrugged in nonchalant manner and couldn't even be bothered to enquire why we wanted to leave or even offer us a better room.

There are plenty of places that are of a higher standard than Hotel Whitcomb and situated better areas for the same price or if you splash out just a little bit more on the cash.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 563 - it's very small, dark and dingy with a tiny shower room and a view of a car pa...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank L K
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Inside: Tiny bathroom. Seriously, 18" between the sink and the door. A large person would not even get the door closed. Over the course of 3 days, an average of 5-6 mins waiting for an elevator to arrive... terribly annoying! Thin windows allow for lots of street noise, including construction beginning at 8am, as well as cold drafts at night.
Outside: I was afraid both for the safety of my small children as well as the security of my wallet. The air all up and down this street reeked of the smell of pot. Beggars every 5 feet, and the drivers are horribly impatient!!! Do NOT cross a street unless you have the all clear, because they WILL gun for you!! getting into and out of the hotel was made nearly impossible by the traffic, which did not allow for any parking to load/unload. Parking is in a small uncovered lot behind the hotel, for which they ask $35/day!!! I went one block over and parked in a secured, underground garage for $25/day. If I can advise, get a hotel outside of downtown and splurge a bit. Public transport in this city is one thing that is absolutely amazing, so there is no need to get a bad hotel, just on the basis of location.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I am dissapointed to hear your feedback and that you did not enjoy your stay. If you would like to contact me personally to discuss further I would like the oppertunity to better understand your issues.

Thank you in advance.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I stayed here last month and was mortified when I started itching almost immediately upon retiring to bed. I immediately checked out and went to another hotel. I was disgusted with expedia and their lack of assistance and prolonged wait for my money to be refunded. Still not refunded. Hotel didn't want to know about it and tried to deny it - despite visibly seeing a bug. Limo driver who collected me said that it was well known to locals that they've had an ongoing problem at this hotel for some time. Suggested I also look at a bed bug site on the internet which verifies a LOT of stories about other bed bug reports. Don't recommend this hotel to anyone if the bed bugs don't get you the drug addicts and homeless people sleeping outside the hotel will.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Sophia F

Hello SofiaF,

We are disappointed to hear about your experience. Please contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this matter further. We take these reports very seriously and investigate all potential cases immediately.

Thank You.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I stayed here as part of my Contiki Tour, and the rooms were clean with really really comfy beds. The hotel isn't in the best area of town, but is a short walk to Union Square and other things to do. The elevators are quite old and slow, and so you have to be patient when it comes to this. All in all a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Megan C
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We love to get feedback from our tour groups and their passangers as they have another unique perspective on the hotel experience. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope that if you return to SF you choose us again.

Thanks

Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel is has a very beautiful lobby, and has a very old, vintage feel about it. There are lots of elevators although they are quite slow so you wait a short time for one, but its not the worst that i've encountered. The hallways leading to the rooms are a little eyrie, being very long and quiet, but the rooms are nice, again with the vintage feel. The beds are very good! The bathroom that I got was very very small and the shower wasn't very good, but that is all I can fault. Many other reviews talk about the homeless people sitting out the front of the hotel, and theyre are homeless people there but if you walk around San Francisco you find that they homeless are everywhere and they are harmless so it is not something to fault the hotel for. It was nice and I would recommend staying there.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for providing us your feedback. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the historic feel of the hotel and that you had a great overalll stay. We do hope that if you return to SF from Austrailia you will stay here again.

Thank Again.