“Good Value”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #181 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This hotel is a good value and in an excellent location. It is on Market Street and within short (2-3 blocks) of Civic Center attractions: SF Opera House, Davies Symphony Hall, and the SF Ballet, as well as City Hall. The staff is friendly and helpful. The beds are comfortable. It is an old hotel, nicely restored, but does not have the quiet that some newer structures have.

The restaurant serves good food, but if you want late drinks or a snack, the lounge closes at 10:00 pm.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for posting your comments. We are pleased that everything went well and that you enjoyed your overalll experience. We do hope that if you return to the SF are you stay with us again.

Thanks Again.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,141)

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Lots of security due to the down and outs who live on the streets outside.
Loved the look and feel of the hotel
The bed was the best in the 5 hotels we stayed in on holiday, by a long way.
The bathroom needs updating, in fact the whole hotel could maybe do with a spruce up.
And beware the car parking, $35 a day.
But it was fine.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay with us. We are pleased to know that you had a great night sleep and that our location was ideal for your needs. We do hope that you keep us in mind for future stays in the SF area.

Thanks Again.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We booked this hotel for our stay in San Francisco for 3 nights. On reaching the hotel, we were very disappointed with the standard of the rooms. The rooms were not clean, bathroom looked filthy. On repeated requests, we were not accommodated in a different room and to settle for what we had. The location of the hotel was quite good. There were a lot of attraction nearby and just a walk away. The locality seemed safe but the rooms and the service were a major disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you posting your comments about your stay. However we are not happy to know that your experience was less than positive. We will look into this reservation and see what improvements can be made on our end.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Lovely hotel but it was in a very bad part of san Francisco. Drunks and druggies where ever you looked and night time you did not want to walk past them .the bar in the hotel closed at nine it would be better if it stayed open longer. The rooms were lovely and spacious.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for posting your comments about your stay. We are pleased to know that the room and service we excellent. We understand your additional comments about the area but as in most cities there are elements like this that are common. I assure you that we have a very secure facility.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I loved my stay - the hotel is older/historic, and so the rooms are cozy small, the elevators aren't fast but it was clean, comfortable, and the staff was helpful and friendly. You should be aware of the neighborhood - yes it's close to the Tenderloin, but I walked about without worry in the day, and at night I took a cab. Be sensible, that's all.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank angelena99

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the history of our lovely hoteland that you had a great stay. We alwys love to hear feedback like this as it lets us know that we are making peoples travel plans great.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

I spent a night here in November 2013. Impressive lobby but not impressed by room. No tea/coffee making facilities in room which seem to be almost standard now and no tea/coffee in the lobby, and I am one who longs for a cup of coffee on rising. I did not have my laptop with me and I sought to use the internet room off the lobby but the cost was something like 25 cents per minute as far as I remember and I didn't use it. Lots of strange looking characters lurking on the pavements outside the hotel. Not many eating places nearby but two cafes and a Burger King opposite. Standing in front of the Burger King in the evening were young women loitering around who looked like hookers. But in all I like the location for the good public transport near the hotel. The BART train from the airport has its Civic Center stop minutes walk away from the hotel and the fare is $7.50. Bus/Street car from in front of the hotel to Fisherman's Wharf area is $2.00. Check in was slow but receptionists are helpful. If you are driving to the hotel you won't see an entrance in front of the hotel. You have to turn into 8th Street at the side of the hotel and access the car park from the side. The sign says "No public parking" but you enter and tell the car park attendant that you are going to the hotel. The car park is small and there is a charge to park, but I was just parking for a few minutes while I checked in before returning my rented car and it was OK with the attendant for me to park there while checking in.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback about your stay. We appreciate all the details you mentioned as it helps us to better server our guests. We will look into all of these comments and make improvements if possible.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

first of all let me say that if you have kids then DO NOT stay in this area where the hotel is as its too unsafe. I had read negative comments on the area on here before I went and was a bit apprehensive as to continue my stay but thought I would decide for myself and boy was I wrong!!
Upon arriving in san fran I got the BART to civic centre station and the lift to the street was full of puddles of urine. the train worker who got in the lift with me said 'welcome to san fran' when I mentioned the urine! I had to hold my cases in the air so they did not touch the lift floor. then when I got out the lift I was being watched by loads of homeless and shady characters which made me feel very intimidated. The hotel is ok but due to its age is weathered in places and smells musky but it has free wifi and there is a starbucks in the lobby which never has any seats free!!there are also vending machines for snacks and drinks. my room was clean and overlooked a building site but I wasn't staying for the view so that didn't matter. Some of the reception staff were miserable and lacked a smile but I tried to not go to reception unless absolutely necessary.
Sams diner across the street does really nice food so is a good place to eat.
The area... I got a 3 day MUNI pass to travel on the trams and the first day of getting on one outside the hotel there was a homeless person on board threatening to kill a woman and her child so police were called and they threw him off the tram and his trousers fell down exposing himself to all the world and this was 9am in the morning in front of families and kids!! there are a number of homeless people everywhere. the burger king opposite is full of them. all the restrooms in the area require staff to let you in to stop the homeless trashing them hence why they use the lift at the train station! there is a smell of urine and faeces all along the roads.
I came back on my first night from union square and got off at the tram stop too soon by mistake and had to walk one block to the hotel and this was approx. 6pm and I was surrounded by shady characters up to all sorts of activities. I walked hastily back to the hotel to feel safe asap.
I went to the union square which is a big tourist attraction to get the powell st tram, the famous cable cars stop, and I was waiting in line at 12pm on a Saturday surrounded by people waiting in a line for the cable car and there were families and couples in the queue. this homeless guy walks in full view of everyone where the cable car turns and pulled out his bits and started urinating all over the tram pavement. some people were shouting ' come on don't do that!' but he carried on. the tram assistant just stood there as I suppose he used to it and he said that later on int he day and the night they stand there and pleasure themselves in full view in front of the crowds!!!!!!
on my last day as I was getting ready to leave the lobby to go to sams diner across the street, a woman in just her socks was staring at me through the lobby doors like a wild banshee and running up and down outside the hotel and then coming back to stare in the glass at me.It was like a scene from a zombie film where they want you to exit the building so they can get at you! I had to wait a while and then I ran across the road to sams as quick as I could!!
TO SUMMARISE..STAY AT FISHERMANS WHARF WHICH IS MUCH CLEANER AND HAS less visible HOMELESS AND DRUG ADDICTS/DEALERS!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo