“An Historic Hotel Experience”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #183 of 228 Hotels in San Francisco
North Vancouver, Canada
“An Historic Hotel Experience”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Yes, the area is a bit dodgy, but the hotel is wonderful once inside. The lobby is elegant and gorgeous with beamed ceiling and large chandeliers. Elevators are small as one would expect in an older building, but the hallways are enormous. Rooms are also on the small side. In our room, the closet and bathroom were the same size meaning one was generous and the other as ridiculous. My tall husband could not stand in front of the sink with the door closed. Toiletries were high-quality. Despite the noise of Market Street, at night the hotel was very quiet and we slept well. I loved the bed and did not want to get up in the mornings. My husband thought it was too soft.

Bonus points for having a Starbucks right in the hotel. But even more demerits for charging $35/night to park. And we still paid a relatively high price for the convenient downtown location ($186 before taxes I think) so value was only so-so.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay with us this month. We appreciate the details of the stay so we know how to focus our efforts to continually improve the guest experience. We do hope that if you return to the SF area you will stay with us again.

Thanks Again.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Gatos, California
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Hotel Whitcomb is in the Market Street theater district, a seedy part of San Francisco. I was apprehensive but once inside the hotel we found it to be lovely with elegant turn-of-the-century decor. We enjoyed a clean well-appointed spacious room with a comfortable bed. Being able to park onsite was very convenient and economical and having Starbucks off the lobby was great,The staff was pleasant and helpful. In fact, doorman Jerry recommended two restaurants nearby and we had good meals in both.We walked past a lot of homeless people on Market even after dark but no one bothered us. If this hotel were in a better part of town I'm sure the rates would be much higher. We often go to San Francisco to see plays and I know we'll return to the Whitcomb.

Room Tip: We were in the deluxe queen room and it was very spacious with plenty of closet and drawer space.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We appreciate the comments about our doorman and staff being very helpful. We also appreciate that we will see you again in the future. That is the best compliment we can get.

See you soon!

Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed last week in room 737 and it was amazing. Hotel is beautifully decorated and very clean. I had awesome treatment specially from Harvey and Kazi. Their service was exceptional and I will definitely go again and recommend it to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Room 737 was the best
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whticomb. We appreciate you giving us such a positive review and for taking time to mention our staff. I will be sure that they are both recognized for their great service.

Thank You.

Death Valley National Park, California
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Myself and 2 friends checked in here for our 3 nights stay in San fran. For 3 guys the hotel was fine, our room was quite dated but it was very clean and beds were comfortable which was ideal for the 3 of us. This hotel is fine except it's located a few block away from the good part of market street. To get to this place you have to walk past umpteen homeless, shady looking people. We never were bothered by any of them but be advised we were 3 guys, I would NOT recommend this for groups of women. At night the area is covered by these people so be advised if your girls gna be staying here, pay for a taxi for the short ride to the good area. Shame this hotel is located in this area.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us your feedback about your stay in August. We have listened to your comments and have shared them with the staff. We always strive to make the guest experience better so we will be focusing on these areas within our control.

Thank you again.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The hotel decor is old fashioned, but has it's own charm and I quite liked it. Plus there is Starbuck cafe right nextdoor and the BART is close by. This area of town is dodgy at night - I didn't feel safe walking home in the evening with my friend.
The queue for check in/ check out/ general queries - took forever. It all seemed very ineffective. I found the staff rude. One of male staff memebers laughed at me when asked if it possible to get a safe for the room apparently I should of known that the safe is available at the front desk only and you take a key with you. I work in customer care and that is not how you interact with a customer! Later when I asked him which way was it into town, he shrugged his shoulders and didn't really answer us, we where left confused to which way is it? Left or right?!
The Beds in the room were comfortable, but there was a good deal of street noise though. The bathroom could do with some TLC, as the tiling and grouting are dirty looking.
The Concierge desk was hit and miss - one girl was on the ball moslty (although we did prebooked Blazing Saddles cycling through the hotel and she failed to mention you can only go to the Blazing saddle HQ to use this) and other one a little ditzy but lovely.
It was an ok hotel, but some staff need to work on their customer care skills.
To be honest I wouldn't stay here again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We apways appreciate all the feedback we get as it helps us to improve our customer service and overall guest experience. We will continue to work for perfection.

Thanks Again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Welcome to the Hotel California ... This is a weird place. The neighborhood at night feels like a post apocalyptic zombie movie (except no one is trying to kill you). My partner did see someone smoking crack (really) outside of Burger King across the street. The gym across the street looks like a dirty old-school dungeon. As for the place itself ... It's old. It feels inside like the set of a horror movie. The staff look like either ridiculously dressed (are they going for historic?) movie extras or out-of work morticians. Rooms are small. Bathrooms are small and old. And it wasn't a bargain: $250/night w Expedia unpublished rates. Hotel is so desperately in need of renovation that it tries to slap "historic" to its name as a moniker that explains the decrepitude. I would milk the Halloween and Murder Mystery Party angle if I were them. I was freaked out before I came by entries on the Bed Bug Registry -- Thank God didn't see any. But it was this experience that taught me that booking thru Expedia (especially unpublished rates) doesn't do anything but maybe cut the cost -- after booking you're completely on your own with the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
13 Thank katthewolf
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay. We are a bit disappointed to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your overall experience. If you would like to contact me personally please feel free.

Thank youin advance.

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Located in Market Street , the busy street in the morning . Close to Union Square and China town San Fransisco . Just walk around 10 minutes you will arrive Westfield shopping mall and in front of Hotel have Burger King restaurant
My first impressions , check in are faster than I am expected . The staff working with a great attitude and polite . My room in 9 Floor and have a good view , from the room I can see the Town Hall .
Room are nice and historic , Bed are comfortable , fortunately the toilet are small than I expected
Overall ... this place is amazing and will come back again for sure