“Historic is in the name”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #181 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The Whitcomb has historic in the advertising which usually means old and out of repair. The price was right for the location so I gave it a try. Everything is clean in the room but it is very dated. The shower is probably the worst I have experienced in a hotel. The elevators are slow and of the four available usually only two are working, sometime they turn on the third one. You wait long times for a car to get to your floor and then it is full as the units are small. The people are nice, location good, temperature in room is good and works well - negative is the age of the property and investments needed to upgrade.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Orchard609
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post you comments about your recent stay with us. We appreciate all the feedback. We are pleased that the staff and location were particularly good parts of your stay and we will work to keep imporving in all areas.

Thanks

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,142)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We booked this hotel as it was cheap and I didn't do much research on the area prior to booking. I was told by a friend that near fishermans wharf can be noisy because of the seals there but that was clearly a bum steer, the price we got was $567 for 3 nights. Yes it was good value and the rooms were cosy, the bed was very comfortable and the old decor was delightful but I felt the lifts could use a polish and clean and the reception staff are not the most polite people.The bell boy was polite and helpful. The area is surrounded by homeless people and most of them have mental issues. I wanted to stay near union square as I believed it was a busy area that would be safe but I wouldn't go near there again. If I stayed in SF again I would most def stay near fishermans wharf. It feels a lot safer and is a tourist area which I feel comfortable with.
If you like to live life on the edge and are a US citizen with a concealed weapons permit then this is the hotel for you

1  Thank Dellygrith

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your trip. We appreciate all your feedback both positive and negative. We always strive to make every guest experience positive and if not we will do all we can to improve the overall stay.

Thanks Again and feel free to contact me personally if you should have any questions.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Travelled with in laws and 2 kids. Rooms were small but that didn't matter as we were only staying for 3 nights. No fridge and very small bathroom. Area is a little shady and wife and kids got slightly scared walking down Market st but never had any problems. (My 12 yr old and I walked back from AT&T park around 11pm and it was fine) Public transport right outside hotel is perfect to access fishermans wharf or anywhere else. Coming back late at night you need to show your room key to concierge to get to the elevators.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share you thoughts about your recent stay. We are glad that you chose to stay with us and you made time to see a game at AT&T park. We do hope that if you return to the SF area from Austrailia you will stay with us again.

Thanks

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We had a great stay here for 2 days. The location is perfect in the city of San Francisco, the rooms are clean and their beds are very comfortable, they are very nicely priced compared to other hotels, their management office is great and very helpful, and to top it off there's a Starbucks in the hotel. It was just a great overall experience here and I would definitely come back here whenever I'm in the city again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay this July. We are all pleased to know that you had a great experience with us. We do hope that you will keep us in mind each time you stay in San Francisco.

Thanks Again.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Helped us with everything we needed
Special thanks to harvey who gave us special info of the city
San Francisco is a great city but there are certain things you need to know before going around the city

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. We really appreciate all the kind words you had about our staff and your overalll experience. I will be sure to pass these words to the staff memeber you memtioned so he knows that he did a great job.

Thanks Again.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Whitcomb. The staff was helpful and friendly, especially the guest services department. They went out of their way to help me iron out the details of my return flight- an act of kindness that is getting hard to come by these days. I would stay at the Hotel Whitcomb again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are all pleased to know that you had a great stay and that the Guest Service department was particularly helpful. I do hope that if you return to the SF area you will stay with us again.

Thank You.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

While the hotel itself was fine, other than taking 45 minutes to check in, the area it is in is so awful, that no matter how cheap it might be, I would advise against staying here. The neighborhood around the hotel is filled with so many homeless and shady characters. If this is going to be your home base for a stay in San Francisco, and that doesn't bother you then by all means stay here. The location totally ruined our stay. I would rather pay more and stay in a better neighborhood. It was seriously scary and you experience none of the charm of the city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family