Hotel Whitcomb
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$395
$185
$209
$195
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$217
$189
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$309
$239
$229
  • Bar/Lounge
$279
$237
Westin.com
  • Room Service
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$469
$220
3,240 results
All reviewssam's dinercity hallcivic centerstarbucks attachedhistorical hotelbart stationpublic transportationf linean older hotelbig cityfew blockssforpheumdoormantrolleypier
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Not much to complain about - the hotel is old but does have charm and character. The room was clean and there was even a bit of a view from the window - (seventh floor).

The bathroom was small - but so am I :-) shower only - and finding a consistant water tempertaure was bit of a challenge - but given the price, location, great staff, super bar (and totally interesting bar tender who gave us a few great tips re things to see) I have to say I really enjoyed my stay here and would go back. (I found the room to be very quiet as well).

Yes, there are a lot of homeless folks around the neighbourhood, (welcome to post 2008-09) but we never felt harassed or threatened - were rarely asked for money - more often for cigarettes.

The Civic Center a couple of blocks away is wonderful - the Museum of Asian Art is a must see, and Opera House, Symphony Hall and Public Library are all there around the UN Plaza - the Farmers' Market is there as well - so that made for a great afternoon.

All in all - an affordable and pretty cool place in a convenient location.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our rooms (761 and 759) - on the back of the building - good light and "sneak-peak" view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

DEar Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. I appreciate all the great feedback you gave and will be sure to share that with the entire staff. We do hope that if you return to the SF area from Canada you will continue to stay with us each time.

Thanks Again.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our Contiki for 2 nights. It was the best beds we have had ever! We had the comfiest pillows and mattresses. Lovely hotel and very clean. Was one of the best hotels in America we stayed.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback about your stay. We love to hear from our tour groups and especially love to hear that they loved the hotel! Thanks and we hope to have you back again soon!

Thank You.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had the most wonderful stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. From the staff, the room, to the location I would rate it a 5+. I am highly recommending to my family and friends to stay. Thank you Mr. Ahmed!
Janey Olguin

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting such a positive review for the hotel and some of our staff. We love to get these type of reviews and strive to make every guest feel the same way. We hope that you keep us in mind each time you are in the SF area.

Thank You Again.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I attended WWDC in San Francisco last week and wanted to find somewhere clean, safe and inexpensive as I would be spending most of my time in conferences. All the other hotels for that week were between 2-3 times what the hotel Whitcomb was charging. I have very simple needs and never use hotel swimming pools, gyms and spa's anyway!

Many of the reviews I read were unfavourable, however I have stayed at the Holiday Inn behind the Whitcomb and know about the areas so called 'reputation' - which is quite unfair.

I saw hobos and 'crazies' outside even the poshest hotels in SF so any review complaining about that is redundant. They are sadly (for them) everywhere. Most are actually really friendly and helpful. Anyone could end up that way. Most are happy just to be treated like a human being and even a kind word or a smile is often better received than a silent Quater.

My room was lovely. It was massive with a walk in wardrobe, a big bathroom and a 37 inch LCD TV (who watches TV when traveling anyway?). It was quiet and very secure. Yes its a bit old but its full of 'old world' charm. I felt like I was stepping into history! I went for the cheapest single room and the guy on the desk must have upgraded me to a kingsize or something as it was cavernous! Wifi was at best average but most places in Europe charge for that so happy it was free.

The Staff were great, always helpful and friendly. Only saw the famous singing doorman once but still managed to put a smile on my face! I traveled with a colleague who opted to stay at another more 'posher' hotel on 5th Street that was well over twice the price and IMO not even half as good. Just as many 'crazies' outside his hotel and his room was half the size of mine!

Location wise, SF has so many cheap ways to get around it, buses, trams, streetcars and subways. All of which stop right outside the hotel. 3 minutes and your in the main hub so location perfect. You only have to walk if you want to - and I often did, even at 1am I did not feel unsafe.

No roomservice but really who needs that when your in a cool city like San Fran! Sam's Diner is across the road for hot food and cold beers! Loads of Dollar stores to buy supplies like bottled water. Starbucks in lobby for caffeine fiends and Carls Jrs for ridiculously massive burgers at midnight Mmmm! There's a big 'farmers' market across the road too on the weekend. The town hall is impressive with plenty of museums and POI around.

Nitpicking the only thing (and this all i could think of) with was the light in the bathroom. It had a huge window and the SF daylight and the angle of the mirror and lack of electrical lighting was extremely unflattering... even for a 'manly' man like me! I would imagine girls wouldn't like it much. Hotel bathroom lighting should make one feel sexy and handsome - I looked 20 years older in this one! Bathroom blinds would have been nice. Hung a few clothes infront of the window - felt my usual pretty self ;)

When I come back to SF I will always stay at Hotel Whitcomb - even when I make my first Million! ;) What it doesn't have in facilities it makes up for in charm!

Thanks guys for making my trip to SF pleasant, affordable and memorable. Just gutted I didn't see the famous Ghost... or maybe I did in my mirror?

Room Tip: Just be polite when you check in - It may take some time but huffing and puffing won't get you any further on in life. Things in San Francisco work at a different pace - a very chilled city!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mikeijay

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for posting your comments about your recent stay. We appreciate all the detailed feedback and really are pleased that you had a great stay. Thanks again for the kind words and hope to see you back here if you are ever back on this side of the "pond".

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Beautiful, classic hotel with great service. I chose it based on these reviews and disregarded the comments about the bad neighborhood, figuring that I'm from a big city and used to that sort of thing. However, after a couple days of walking around there, my husband and I got totally sick of the neighborhood and all the shady people. The BART station and city bus stop are right outside the hotel door. Use them, always! The hotel has a wonderful doorman to make sure it's secure and there's a bellhop who'll hail you a cab--bonus: both wear cool, retro, classic attire.The concierges were very friendly and helpful about directions and information, a big plus. There's a big indoor mall a couple of blocks away with a huge food court with lots of good choices, that was the best close place we found to eat. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but loved the bar. We loved the room, small but nice, bathroom sort of vintage but fine. Starbucks adjacent to the lobby a big plus.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmmtraveler

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback about your stay with us this JUne. We always love to hear that our valued guests enjoyed the hotel and the city of San Francisco. We do hope that if you are back in from Seattle you choose to stay with us again and again.

Thank you.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations.