Hotel Whitcomb
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$305
  • Room Service
$165
$209
Courtyard
  • Restaurant
Hotel Zoe Fisherman's Wharf(San Francisco)
$317
  • Bar/Lounge
$239
$229
  • Bar/Lounge
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$418
$215
$210
Agoda.com
3,238 results
All reviewssam's dinercity hallcivic centerstarbucks attachedhistorical hotelbart stationpublic transportationf linean older hotelbig cityfew blockssforpheumdoormantrolleypier
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Whitcomb. Staff were extremely helpful and happy and I really enjoyed the old style character of the hotel. It is reasonably priced and our room was very functional and comfortable - although naturally dated as it is an old hotel. The bed in particular was very comfortable. Would definitely stay here again. I see others have commented on the homeless people outside and indeed there were a lot in the area however we encountered large numbers of homeless people all over San Fran and found it quite confronting. It is a convenient location with the bus, tram and train at the door. And Sam's Diner across the road was marvellous.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne Y
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Ever seen The Shining? Picture long corridors and candelabras. Once upon a time this was probably a beautiful hotel, but, alas, those days are long gone. So scary. I kept thinking someone in the room next to me was typing away, "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

It''s never a good thing when your cab driver says, upon dropping you at your hotel, "Are you sure this is the right place? It's not safe to walk here." Uh oh. Should have been a tip off. I was with a group and we were stuck there for two nights in May 2013. Empty whiskey bottles and homeless people with zombie stares up and down the street.

The hotel is obviously trying to save money on labor costs, as there were only two people working the front desk at a busy time. They couldn't find the reservations of the two parties checking in ahead of me, which is not surprising because it appears that they use old fashioned paper, rather than computers, to track guests. Check in took 30 minutes!!! When we finally got to our room, the cleaning was dubious. There was a torn scrap of paper on the floor and a plastic ziploc baggy hanging above the shower. The baggie was still there when we left two days later.

Sink was tiny with a small rim and nowhere to put one's toothbrush or toiletry bag. Not even a small shelf, though there was room for one. Probably the owner being cheap, again.

WiFi worked....kind of... the first night and then not at all for the rest of the trip, despite the staff resetting the router for the room.

The one good thing about it was a super comfy bed. Unfortunately, the clackety clack of the electric buses outside and the homeless couple arguing on the street ("Travis, gimme some o' that weed" "Shut your mouth woman,") made sleep impossible.

NEVER again!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ValerieinLA
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your comments about your stay. We are disappointed to know that you did not enjoy the stay. We do hope that you will consider staying with us again and contacting me personally to assist with your reservation. I am also available if you would like to call me to discuss the previous stay.

Thank You.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

From the outset, this is a beautiful looking classic hotel. The staff were very helpful (especially the concierge) with transport and restaurant options. However, there never seemed to be enough people at front desk, and I often saw long lines during peak check-in periods, first thing in the morning etc. Our room was reasonable clean, but it did feel a little old. There were a nice separate walk-in for luggage storage and the bathroom was huge (but the shower/bath itself was pretty small - don't know why they needed all that extra space in there?).

The hotel is very close to a number public transport systems, however its position on market street meant that there were always lots of homeless people wandering around 24 hours a day. If I were staying on my own, I would have felt very unsafe, so I wouldn't recommend any single friends to stay here. Anyhow, we paid $290.12 (including tax) for three nights, so for the proximity to the station and Union Square, it was still worthwhile to give this place a go.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We are particularly pleased to know that you were able to see all the sites that are very close to our centralized location. We do hope that if you return from Austrailia you keep the us in mind.

Thanks Again.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I love San Fran. But I would never stay here next time. Everyone in the hotel is nice . The hotel is average . My bathroom light had a really loud buzzing noise u would hear it from the other room. The location is horrible I thought I was at the tenderloin district. Bums where at the door at all hours. I felt very unsafe.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank CACNY2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback about your stay. We are disappointed to hear that your experience was not totally positive. We do appreciate that fact that our staff and service was great.

Thank you.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently traveled to San Francisco for my first time for a conference. Once I finally made it to the Hotel Whitcomb the entire staff was courteous, knowledgeable, and very welcoming to make my stay better. They always ask how they can make the stay better and will point you where you need to go and what to do. Since I've never been to SF before they were a great help when getting from one place to the next. My only problem is that when I left the 'do not disturb' sign on my door it was still cleaned the next day.. (I'm a very private person so I didn't appreciate that.) Aside from that, the low price, clean hotel, and great location right next to BART means I'll surely be using this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
17  Thank alex l

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for taking time to share your experience. We are alll pleased to hear that you had a great stay and that our staff was both curteous and knowledgable. We do want all our current, past, and future guests to know that this is a great place to stay.

Thanks Again.