“Great base to explore San Francisco”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Ranked #180 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Small rooms, but a great historic building. As with any city, costly to park a car. Stayed for 9 days and found it a perfect base to explore San Francisco- although it is downtown! Staff were great and extemely helpful with transport and general information. The restaurant was pricey but the food was good. Would stay again as it was good value for the location in this generally expensive city. A few blocks away from the tourist information centre which should be the first stop before sightseeing. Book in advance for the main attractions and if you get the chance to fit in a baseball game the stadium is amazing!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sally24_7
whitcomb1, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Guest:
We, at Hotel Whitcomb, greatly appreciate your assessment of your stay at our hotel.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we would like to invite you again and perhaps help you pre-plan details of your future visit.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Whitcomb

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights during our trip to California. The hotel is quite nice, a beautiful old historical building right in the city. Its location is convenient and close to everything. The rooms are quite small, but nice and cozy. The beds are comfy to sleep in, but we were wakened each morning to the sound of construction workers banging just outside as they worked on a building. One morning, they started at 4:45am!!!
The price per night was very reasonable ($101), but they charge you $35 a night to "valet" park your car, which is pretty expensive, and not really all that convenient, as you have to pull around to the back of the hotel to drop your car off, leave your car unattended with the keys in the ignition until the guy has a chance to come get it, and then lug your suitcase up a small flight of stairs into the back of the hotel. The staff dont even offer to help. When you want to pick up your car, you have to wait in line, and if there are other people, it can take a while.
The other down side, which isn't really the hotel's fault, is that the area is a bit sketchy. There are a fair number of homeless people hanging around just outside the entrance, begging for money or high on drugs. I didn't really feel safe walking around there at night. The hotel is safe though, they have a security guard at night, and they check to make sure people have room keys before they can access the elevators in the hotel.
Overall, it is a good place to stay, and quite affordable for San Fransisco, even with the valet parking fee. If you are an early riser or don't mind noise when you're trying to sleep, then you will enjoy your stay just fine:)

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Katrina M

Dear Guest:
Thank for making time to write this review. Your expression of having enjoyed your stay at our hotel is very heartening.
We would like to invite you to stay at Hotel Whitcomb during all of your future San Francisco visits.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Whitcomb. It was centerally located, easy access to transit and the price was reasonable.I had a later flight and wasn't sure what to do with my bag and the bellman took care of it for me so I could continue to site see. I will stay here again. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Smallest room I have ever seen. Smells bad in room. $30 a day to park your car on top of the overpriced room rate. Bathroom small and shower terrible. Area around hotel is populated by zombies. No pool or any amenities. A totally bad experience. Never again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else. Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JeremyF640

Dear Guest:
On behalf of Hotel Whitcomb please accept our appreciation for writing this review.
We look upon the contents of your review as an opportunity to strive harder to make necessary improvements. May I invite you to contact me, so I could get details of your stay?

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Great hotel, stayed in room 625. For the main part the hotel was well located in the heart of SoMa close to shopping, good food and amenities but there was a nervous under current in the local area.

As a lone female I didn't comfortable walking around at night due to the high transient presence and open hard drug use in public. I felt restricted of not experiencing the full local nightlife due to this self imposed curfew. All this had NOTHING to do with the hotel which was cosy, friendly and informative.

Definitely would stay there again....just with company

Room Tip: 6th was perfect
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Enigma P

Dear Guest:
On behalf of Hotel Whitcomb, I would like to thank you, first of all for spending your valuable time to write this review. It was greatly satisfying to read that you enjoyed your stay and find our hotel “cozy friendly and informative staff members”.
We look forward to your next visit with friends and family. May I suggest that you contact us upon making your reservation? Our highly motivated concierge desk can help pre-plan your San Francisco experience to make it “unrestricted and complete”
Manisha S.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I recently stayed at Hotel Whitmore with a friend and had a relatively mixed experience. To begin with, we had to stand in line for almost 45 minutes just to check into the hotel (the bell-boy said that was pretty typical). They ran my credit card but couldn't print me a receipt so they asked me to just sign a blank piece of paper. Bad idea. I got home today and checked my online banking to find out that they held a $100 deposit instead of the $50 that I was originally told. I called the hotel and all they could tell me was it must have been some error and they were sorry. Not a big deal, but there was zero explanation to what happened.
The hotel itself wasn't bad. I enjoyed the history of it and I felt like it had a lot of charm. The bar downstairs is a little depressing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Madison W
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We want to apologizge for the inconveniences you encountered. We always try our best to make the guest experience as wonderful as possible and when we fall short we need to make changes. I can assure you that we have listened to your comments and are working on improvements.

Thanks Again.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Horrible service. All the staff were rude and very unpleasant. They seemed over worked and understaffed so upper management may be to blame. I wound not stay here again.

Rooms: really small. There are very few open outlets in each room.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Needslep

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to post your feedback. It is dissapointing that you had a less than excellent experience. We are doing our best to address the previous issues and make changes to avoid them in the future.

Thanks Again.