“Location is not ideal.”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #181 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was older, cool architecture, and clean. But the moment we walked out the front door in broad daylight we knew it wasn't the hotel for us. The hotel is in a very rough part of town. What locals call "the tenderloin" which is known for assault and several homocides a year. There was drug use and people being chased right down the street. We walked to union square - turned around - and found a different hotel. The location is unsettling. But if you are on a budget - the hotel itself is nice (just don't go outside after dark).

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Brett T
Write a ReviewReviews (3,142)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed here four nights and was pretty impressed overall. The location was so perfect; the BART, Muni and bus stops were all right in front of the hotel and it was already centrally located in the city. The price was also very good for SF. The rooms were clean and comfortable, albeit a bit small. However, the BEST aspect was the customer service here! All of the staff smiled and helped us with everything we needed; things for the room, directions, information on things to do, restaurants, etc. The big surprise came on Saturday night when I arrived back at the hotel. That night my boyfriend proposed to me as a surprise. When we came back to the room that night there was a package of balloons, a rose in a swan vase, an awesome piece of chocolate cake, and a cute little cable car replica. This was just a perfect ending to an already great night! My fiancee said that they would add these items to our bill...but they did it all for free as a courtesy to us! We were just so pleased with our stay and will definitely be back here when we return to SF.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently sated in this hotel for 3 nights at a bargain price in that area. More like a 2-star hotel and not higher. Clean rooms and lobby but everything is small in size. Could not get the front desk to send me a coffee maker inspite of trying twice. Starbucks is located inside the hotel so n the end did not fight about it. The reception staff was very corteous. The BART train system connecting to airport (SFO) is only a block away (civic center station) and costs $8.25 one way to airport.
Cons - the street outside has a lot of homeless people loitering around, nothing that made me feel unsafe but just uncomfortable. Left a half filled glass of water on table and that was not changed for 3 days I was there. And they charge you $45 per day for parking (based on what a colleague paid).
All in all a nice last minute price for the room even though I know if I had booked in advance I could have got a better place for just a bit more - note to myself fr future!!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

There are ice machines in the corridors making a loud noise all night long, if you are also close to the elevators with their constant 80's "BEEP BEEP" on every floor, this is even worse. Same with the 10+ years old calefactor in the rooms, better to turn it off at night. There are "emergency like" bright lights next to the power plugs that you have to cover with something before going to sleep, or your room will look like a club. Same with the telephone, it flashes a red light like if it were an airplane. Carpets are not so clean too, and in general the hotel looks very, very old...

Room Tip: Keep away from the elevators and ice/vending machines
2  Thank Matias E
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed five nights at the hotel Whitcomb in March for a convention at the Moscone Center. This historic property lives up to it's roots with architectural details and charm. The location is perfect and you can't beat the price compared to other downtown locations.

The positives were certainly the location and price. The room was clean but very small. It warned upon booking I was staying in a "petite" room, which I was okay with. I was actually expecting smaller, but was pleasantly surprised. The room I stayed in had a full size bed, two night stands, a small desk and a TV stand as well as a small bathroom. Everything you need when you won't be in the room much. The location is amazing. You are right on the public transit line to take the trolley to Pier 39 or Fisherman's Wharf. The hotel was clean and the staff was pleasant.

On the negative side, and I don't see these as too big of negatives, but this is for your guests expecting luxury accommodations on a budget, this may not be the place for you. First, there are very few wall outlets as this is an old building. I had one extra outlet in the room and one in the bathroom. I had to alternate between charging my laptop and my phone.

Two, there is no central heating/cooling. There is a window unit that heats and cools the room comfortably. With that said, it also generates a lot of noise. Which was fine for me because it blocked out a lot of the street noise. Keep in mind, historic means old, and there is not a lot of insulation so you will hear street noise. Also, great downtown location with easy access to the public transit also means more street noise. I didn't have any issues, but I am a heavy sleeper.

Three, no amenities. I was fine with this, but I am setting expectations. There is no room service, pool, gym, coffee maker, safe, etc. The restaurant in the hotel was also only open for dining on the weekends. During the week you could sit at the bar and order drinks and appetizers, that's it. Not a problem for me as I was working and the little free time I had I went to Pier 39 to eat. Just setting proper expectations.

If you want to stay in a very cool, historic and charming hotel in a great location for 1/3 the cost of most mid to upscale chain hotels, this place is great. Just understand what you are buying. I greatly enjoyed my stay and would stay there again.

3  Thank Kirkdawg98
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I understand that there's only so much a hotel can do to control it's surroundings when it's literally in the middle of a big city like San Francisco. So I'm putting aside the fact that the surroundings are pretty unattractive and that homeless people seem to guard the doors.
We liked that this hotel used to be City Hall while the original was being renovated back in the early 1900s. It's certainly very beautiful on the inside, with a very old-school eloquence. We also liked that access to the BART system was literally just a few feet outside the front doors, which made getting around so much easier and more pleasurable. We also liked that a 24-hour subway was nearby (very few late night options here), and a Starbucks was in the lobby.
The staff were courteous and we appreciated that they held one of our traveler's bags after check-out for him to pick up, since he had been somewhere else that morning. The amenities in the rooms were less than stellar, with acceptable beds, but poor windows and bathroom fixtures, lots of ugly exposed piping and wiring, and false fire alarms happening at least once each night we were there (we were there three nights).
However, it was cheap. We got it as a semi-last-minute deal for just under $100/night for 2 queen beds. So we can't expect too much for such prime location.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sudobuntu
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had a great experience at the Hotel Whitcomb this past weekend. From the first moment I entered the lobby I was greeted by a smiling face. All of the staff had amazing attitudes and seemed very motivated to make sure my stay was top-notch. Larry, the doorman was very knowledgable about the history of the venue. I recommend the Hotel Whitcomb for anyone seeking an affordable stay at a historic San Francisco landmark.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends