Hotel Whitcomb
Omni San Francisco Hotel(San Francisco)
$305
$239
$336
$204
  • Pool
Kimpton Buchanan(San Francisco)(Great Value!)
$197
$299
$254
Westin.com
  • Room Service
Fairmont San Francisco(San Francisco)
$416
$254
Mystic Hotel(San Francisco)
$205
$189
Agoda.com
3,242 results
All reviewssam's dinercity hallcivic centerstarbucks attachedhistorical hotelbart stationpublic transportationf linean older hotelbig cityfew blockssforpheumdoormantrolleypier
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Whitcomb for four nights for a salsa festival taking place in the hotel. As a result, I paid a special rate negotiated by the organizers. I had read many reviews of the hotel here and from other websites so my expectations were not particularly high.

All I wanted was a clean room and a quiet night's sleep. I achieved this but it took some effort. When booking the room and when making changes to the reservation, I stressed that I preferred a quieter, modern room. I was the first person in my room to actually make it into the room (5th floor, away from Market St.) and I had to reject that room as it smelled very strongly of tobacco. So, I returned downstairs, stood in line for what seemed like 10 minutes (mid-afternoon) then explained that the room smelled smoky and I wanted a different room. The male staff immediately offered me another room, again away from Market St. and on the fifth floor.

During the conversation to change my room, I asked if it was possible to stay in a higher room. The response from the staff was that this would be an extra $20 a night. I declined the offer.

I later discovered from friends who got a free upgrade to the seventh floor that the rooms on that floor were bigger and with bigger bathrooms.

What about the room I ended staying in? Well, the bathroom was very small. In fact, it was basically the same size as the bathroom in the studio apartment I stayed at in London two months prior. The bathroom was clean, the shower stall was modern but the sink was not full size. This was fine with me but my roommate kept hitting her head on the shelf directly above the sink.

The cleanliness of the room was a bit iffy. On arrival, I found several used Q tips on the floor, next to the TV cabinet and the wall behind it. Trash that didn't make it into the trash can was not removed by housekeeping. OK. It was a candy wrapper but it was a brightly colored wrapper that contrasted vividly against the carpet.

The bed was firm and clean. The bedding appeared clean. I got a good night's sleep and it was perfectly quiet in my room that was as far as you could be from the elevators and virtually at the end of a hallway.

There are four elevators and they seem to have a mind of their own. I'd be on the first floor (main lobby) and call the elevator to go up. I'd have to carefully check the direction of the elevator that arrive as sometimes it would be heading down, not up...

The location of the hotel is perfect for the BART. The Civic Center station is about two minutes walk away which is convenient if you're traveling from SFO.

There are a lot of homeless who hang out around Market Street and that immediate area. I didn't find them to be aggressive or threatening. If I got asked for change or whatever and didn't respond or give anything, I didn't get a bad response.

The Walgreens on the next block on Market St. is most conveniently located near the hotel. The Starbucks in the hotel was always busy while I stayed there. I didn't eat in the Whitcomb's restaurant so I can't comment on the food or service there.

Overall, I was satisfied with my stay at the Whitcomb but if it weren't for the salsa festival taking place in the hotel, I would usually prefer to stay in a more contemporary hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely away from Market Street, on a floor higher than the third floor. I believe rooms on the sixth and seventh are modern, bigger (room and bathroom). Don't stay here during the salsa festival unless you are an attendee.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank NC_Expat_Traveler
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We appreciate all the detailed feedback you gave us and we will work to make adjustments to the areas we can. We are pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and we hope to see you next year for the sam SAlsa event!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Contrary to ones first impression, this is a clean hotel with charm, and friendly staff. Yes, It is an old hotel and it shows in its structure. But the important things; bed/mattress was very comfortable, free WiFi worked well and given its location, it was quiet ... Even with a connection to the next room. While the television was an old CRT style ... it didn't really matter to me since there is so much to do in San Francisco.

This old hotel is one block from government center (city hall; municipal, state and US Court houses; UC Hasting Law School, etc). Like many big cities, this kind of area attracts a lot of homeless people. That said, I had no problems with them ... I didn't encounter any aggressive pandering.

Bottom line - the rates are very reasonable and it is actually a good central location with the BART and Muni station stairway just in front of the building, Moscone Center about five blocks away, the cable cars about six blocks, and some of the better LOCAL's diners and restaurants are a few blocks west and north of this location. I'll consider Hotel Whitcomb the next time I'm in San Francisco.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us about your stay. We are pleased to know that you had an enjoyable experience and that the value, location, and comfort of the room were great. We do hope that you keep us in mind each time you return to this area.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This hotel was Creepy, but in a wonderful way. Historic and beautiful (and possibly haunted) the beds were comfortable, the restraunt excellent, and the staff friendly. The location was close to everything, just a short cab ride, or hop on the muni or the BART at the station on the corner.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for such a great review. We are all very pleased to know that you had a great experience with the history and style of the hotel. We do hope that each time you are in San Francisco you keep the Hotel Whitcomb in mind. See you again soon!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel is charming and the staff are friendly. The location is really central in terms of getting all over SFO and there's a fantastic cafe-roastery (around the corner on 7th st) which is perfect for coffee lovers :)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for posting this review. We are all very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that you had such great things to say. We do hope that if you are ever on this side of the pond again you will be back.

Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights. We apparently for upgraded to a bigger room but the bed was still only a double and very small. Small
Room with a dated bathroom with the worst shower pressure. Location was food close to train station and buses and a short walk to union square. The walk did not feel safe at night though. Next time I would stay closer to the action of union square

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your stay. We are pleased that the overall experience was great and that you enjoyed your time in SF. We do hope that you will stay with us again in the future.