“OK”

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #173 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
“OK”
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are basic. Minimal power outlets. Old tv. Quite quiet at the very back of the hotel. Most of the equipment in the fitness center is ancient and damaged.
No breakfast included.
The location is convenient for the street car. But it is a bit on the lower end.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank davidpett
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. We always apprecite to hear from our guests to know what we are doing well and what needs imporvement. We do hope that you will keep us in mind for further stays.

Thanks.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Place is centrally located, you can walk to Central Lib., to Asian museum of Art, and many other places downtown. Esmeralda and Olga will go out of their way to take care of you. The restaurant downstairs offers a varied menu and the service is prompt and courteous. The architecture is something to appreciate with its vaulted ceilings, and infinity mirrors. Administration was available to answer questions and to make our stay pleasant and restful.

Room Tip: The top floor was quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for posting your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that two of our staff were particularly great. I will be sure to share that with them.

Thanks and come back again.

Grass Valley
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just stayed one night at Hotel Whitcomb and could not have been happier. The location was perfect for seeing a play because the theatre was across the street. The hotel lobby and restaurant are beautiful with old world charm. We had lunch, dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant and every meal was delicious. Our room was small but very pleasant. The bathroom has old fixtures but it is spacious and worked fine for our needs. We will definitely stay there again when we go to the theatre.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from street noise. Construction crews do start early in the morning.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback about your recent stay. We are extremely pleased to know that you had a great stay and that so many things were excellent. We do hope that each time you retunr to this area you keep the Hotel Whitcomb in mind.

Turlock
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Good location, unprofessional, rude, and abrupt front desk personnel. He interrupted us several times during our check-in. Room was located in a stairwell, and was very noisy all night. We were unable to sleep due to the frequent traffic in the stairwell, the constant slamming of doors, and the voices of people talking and the noise echoing in the stairwell. In addition, the room smelled like cigarette smoke even though it was supposed to be a non-smoking facility.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms located near the stairwell.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback about your stay. We want to apologize in advace about the issues you mentioned and please know that we will be doing all we can to fix it. We do hope that if you are back in this area you contact me personally to take care of you r reservations.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Chicago
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I decided to treat myself to one night in downtown SF after giving a talk at Stanford. The website photos looked nice and the rate ($109) was super reasonable. But I was even more impressed when I got there. Stately, handsome, and in touch with its history -- as well as that of the city via a nicely curated photo exhibition on the mezzanine level, depicting early 20th century entertainment in SF.

I have never seen bellboys so attentive and genuinely interested in their guests.

I discovered at the airport that I'd left my ziploc bag with liquid toiletries in the bathroom. I figured they'd take it for just some shampoo and lotion and toss it, particularly since it wasn't in a nice toiletry bag. But no, when I called the hotel, the head of housekeeping, Ms. Gomez, treated this like an important issue. She gave me her email where I should specify where I wanted my items mailed. I did email her, but the next day was Sunday, so I wasn't surprised not to receive a response. When I called Sunday evening, the housekeeping woman I spoke with, Rosa, was extremely cordial, explaining that the note had indeed been registered, my items had been found, and they were awaiting mailing for the next day. She confirmed the address and showed solidarity about how in fact these little tubes of cream and whatnot can end up costing a lot to replace.

The only thing that made me 'ding' the hotel one level is that from 6:00-8:00 am, I heard slamming doors NONSTOP from people leaving their rooms. Perhaps it's not fair for me to ding the hotel, since it's not their fault that a group of 15 people are too rude and/or stupid to realize that they shouldn't be slamming their dang doors, particularly at that hour on a Sunday. But given that the doors are so heavy (as one would expect in a handsome old building), I do think they could tighten the hinges or invest in some contraption to prevent such loud slamming.

In all, the entire experience was fantastic.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Mamiford
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We are all gald to know that your overall stay was excellent. I will be sure to share all your kind words with the staff members you mentioned. I am sure they will be happy to know they helped.

Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My overall experience at the hotel Whitcomb was something that it has been engraved in a place in my memories, from the absolutely outstanding excellent service provide by the front desk staff and taking care of all my needs. I would highly recommend this hotel, and I will look forward to spend sometime in the near future at this historic beautiful hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for share your thoughts. We are always pleased to hear such positive feedback and will keep up the great service. We hope that if you return to this area you will contact us again for a similar great stay.

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel is in the absolute worst location of the city. Crack heads and homeless everywhere, worse then any other part of the city we saw. Even our cab driver one night sad its was a bad part of town. The hotel is old and looks cool in the lobby but the rooms are pretty nasty. Would never stay here again. The staff was nice and very helpful, but next time will pay a little more and upgrade for sure.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
1 Thank Kimberly F
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about you r recent stay. We appreciate all feedback and will do our best to make changes to the areas within our control. We are pleased that you did receive excellent service during your stay with us.

Thank You.