“Just Okay....”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #182 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I needed an inexpensive place to stay. Having lived in San Fran, I knew what I was getting. The area is not the greatest and I would not stay here if I was a single female traveler. The only pro of this hotel is that public transportation is right out the door (BART, MUNI).

In terms of comfort, the hotel is old and management has neglected the upkeep of the property. However, I did see painters in rooms and my floor did smell like paint. Perhaps a well need rehab. The room was functional and clean, although dated. The windows are not double paned and considerable street noise came in. Beware of the window heat/airconditioner. It was loud.

Overall, I was able to get the hotel for a great rate, but would have been upset if I paid top dollar. This is a two star property at best. If you are here for vacation, probably better to find a Union Sqaure hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Enricotx
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Guest,
We appreciate you taking time to share your comments with us. We are disappointed to know that your stay was not positive and will do our best to address the areas you mentioned within our control.
Thank You. Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,153)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My trip to SF was very sudden to attend a funeral. The week that we arrived was also the same week of a very Large Conference in SF. Hotel Whitcomb was so friendly, kind, and accommodating. They went out of their way to make certain that my friends and I were able to stay at Hotel Whitcomb stress free during such a difficult time for us. Normally, I would not have thought about staying at HW because I would go for one of the larger chains. However, I am so glad that we ended up at the Whitcomb. The Hotel is beautiful and Rich with history! The Art Deco style of the building was so Lovely! I cannot wait to return and visit SF and Hotel Whitcomb again in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We are happy to know another guest had a great stay at the Hotel Whitcomb, and pleased you enjoyed the art and architecture. We do hope that we are your choice for accommodations each time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I believe this is our fifth stay at this hotel and we were not disappointed! Our beautiful, spacious room had a wonderful view of City Hall which was stunning when it was all lit up at night. You just can't beat the central location. It is on Market Street halfway between the Castro/Haight area and the Ferry Building Marketplace. The subway from the airport pops you up right in front of the hotel. Then you can easily catch the F-Train and busses to areas all over the city and stops right at the hotel! One of the most popular breakfast places is just right up the road and Dotties True Blue Cafe is worth the wait! I think that people who complain about the size of their room are booking through discount web sites. We always book direct and get amazing rates! This also gives you the opportunity to request one of the newly renovated rooms! With triple sheeting and a Starbucks in the beautiful lobby this hotel is the best deal in the city.

Room Tip: Book direct so you can request a newly renovated room :)

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We are happy to know that the Hotel Whitcomb is your continuous choice while visiting San Francisco and we do hope that we continue to be your choice for accommodations each time you are in the city by the bay.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

What a disaster. We stayed here twice during our *budget* honeymoon (before and after our tour of Yosemite) and it was a complete hassle both times. It's the last thing you want after hours of transit and weeks of touring, especially when it's not the cheapest place out there.

During our first stay we checked in with Harvey. We requested a wake up call at 0500 and made the reservation for our second stay. He was polite but seemingly inefficienct. When I checked on the wake up call (just to be sure as we could not afford to miss the $700 tour!) it had been requested for 0700. He swiped my credit card for the reservation and promised to deliver the confirmation number to our room but never did. We didn't have time the next morning to chase it up so we just trusted that the booking had been made.

It had not. When we returned at 2230 from Yosemite a few days later we found that the booking had been canceled, the tour company who had been trying to leave a package for us had been turned away and (we only found out on our return to Australia) phone messages that had been left for us during both stays were never received. There is no room service offered. Cable didn't work in the first room, but did in the second. To top it off, due to the early start, I left my pajama top in the room on the first stay and it was never seen again. What on earth?

I do have a few positive comments:
The rooms are old, but very clean.
The beds were very comfortable. We slept very well.
The door men and baggage handlers are incredibly friendly, polite and helpful.
The barman is was courteous.
Olga assisted us with our second check in and was very nice and apologetic about the mysterious cancellation and the package refusal. She fixed us up with a room quickly and gave us a discount for the inconvenience which was appreciated. She is a credit to the hotel.

Overall, it was too expensive for the runaround. There are a few things a hotel needs to get right in my books:
1. Reservations, especially it they are made at the bloody desk.
2. Comfy beds
3. Clean room
3. Wake up calls on time
4. Messages and packages need to be delivered - when you're travelling and need to be able to rely upon your hotel for assistance with contact
The rest (like modern decor, working cable, lost property returned, friendly staff, etc) is just nice to have, but not essential. Two out of five 'must haves' is not good.

If you're hell bend on staying here (but why would you where there are cheaper places to get a descent bed and terrible service?), DO NOT WALK BETWEEN 8TH AND 6TH ALONG MARKET STREET. Catch a cab at night or take the Muni during the day. Those two blocks are dangerous at night and gross during the day.

2  Thank AndyPandy321

Thank You. Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at the Whitcomb while attending a conference in SF.
The hotel has a long history and the building is almost 100 years old. If you prefer modern, high tech hotels, I recommend you look elsewhere; but if you're into art deco buildings, you may want to give it a try.
The staff are friendly and chatty. Unfortunately, while I was checking in, there was a long queue, so it took longer than usual.
The hotel is near the Civic Centre and cable car station, and with a BART station immediately outside the hotel entrance, so getting to and from SF International Airport is really easy and inexpensive. Moscone Center is within walking distance, but it is a good 20 minutes away.
For coffee junkies, there's a Starbucks within the building itself, but you need to walk a little further for meals unless you're happy with Burger King, which is across the road.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard C

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We are happy to know another guest had an enjoyable stay at the Hotel Whitcomb, but for the other items you mentioned we will have those issues addressed. We do hope that we are still your choice for accommodations next time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

What a great hotel with a helpful staff and excellent service. The location was perfect for getting around and my room was spotless. I never sleep very well in hotels, but, at Whitcomb I had a deep, restful sleep. I'll be recommending this hotel to all of my family and friends that plan on visiting San Francisco.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We are happy to know another guest had a great stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. We do hope that we are your choice for accommodations each time you are in San Francisco.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

my goodness I have never had so many pillows on one bed. Comfy bed though. Really spotlessly clean place, in room and bathroom, and very friendly people, espcially the guy in the shop at the back of the reception area, he was really helpful.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was really tasty and good portions.
All in all a good hotel to stay in

Room Tip: Rooms are surrounded by high buildings although we did hear from others that rooms at the front can...
1  Thank Jayneship

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We are happy to know another guest had a great stay at the Hotel Whitcomb. We are also pleased to hear that Rahn made your stay that much more enjoyable. We do hope that we are your choice for accommodations each time you are in San Francisco.