“Professional, courteous, and excellent customer service...”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #173 of 229 Hotels in San Francisco
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Professional, courteous, and excellent customer service...”
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I have the opportunity to travel to San Francisco and a regular basis... The professional and attentive front desk clerks and the expeditious housekeeping staff are two of the primary reasons I ALWAYS stay at the Hotel Whitcomb... Simple comforts as the jovial doorman greeting you upon each and every arrival back to the hotel... To the fantastic location allowing guest the best opportunities to visit cultural venues... CUSTOMERS DO TRULY COME FIRST at the Hotel Whitcomb....

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed April 18, 2011

From the moment I arrived, everyone was pleasant and helpful, actually very generous. The front desk agent saw that we were a bit frazzled from travel and upgraded our room. The lobby and the rooms are "old school" elegant and the service topnotch. I loved the room and the location is amazing especially if you are traveling by BART or bus. There is a Starbucks on the ground floor, which rocked. Yeah!

The thing I really want to stress, though, is the SERVICE. From front desk to Bell Hop to Concierge to Housekeeper to Manager...the service at this hotel is excellent. The people make the place warm and human. I had to cut my trip short due to an emergency at home and these folks went out of their way for me.

I want to come back to San Francisco sometime and I WON"T STAY ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Zazzlebaum
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. We like to pride ourselves on providing the best possible service to each and every person that comes through our doors. We really appreciate you noticing the staff's hard work and please know that I will share these comments with them soon.

Colton, California
Reviewed April 17, 2011

great location
has a starbucks
bar has great drinks
great service
LOVED IT!!

Room Tip: price line
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with our staff. We are all very happy to learn that the service was excellent and that you "LOVED IT". I will be sure to share these thoughts with the rest of the hotel staff so that we all know that we are on the right track. Hope to see you again very soon.

Thanks Again,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2011

I researched hotels for weeks.
I wanted a good price, a good location, and to be safe! A lot of hotels seemed to be in unsafe neighbourhoods.

Hotel Whitcomb has welcoming and very funny staff. The bellboys sing often. The maids are very nice. The building is quite old, but in a very glamorous way. The rooms were very large, clean and comfortable.

My favourite part is the location. The bus is right out front, one to take you downtown, one to take you to the marina, and another to take you to Golden Gate Park. I wouldn't walk to downtown, as the few blocks beside this hotel is very very sketchy. Although i did do it a few times, I just had an interesting experience.

My favourite part was the price, the location, and the staff.
I also like that you can take the bart from the airport to directly to the hotel. It's a lovely and convenient place I would go to again.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for deciding to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb after your long decision process. We really appreciate your kind words about the staff and I will be sure to share these comments with the entire team. We hope to see you again soon in the near future.

Thanks Again,

San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I booked this hotel through Hotwire and chose it based on its proximity to the Civic Auditorium (we were going to a concert there). After discovering the name of the hotel and reading reviews about it on here, I was very anxious about the location (so many people said it was unsafe), the condition of the hotel (old, dirty, etc.) and the service. I was pleasantly surprised upon arriving that the location was not bad. I have been to SF several times, and had family members that lived there, and been in much rougher neighborhoods (e.g. Mission District). In fact, the location was great for walking to restaurants, and the Civic Auditorium was literally a block away. We walked to dinner Saturday night and to the concert and walked back to the hotel at midnight and were not harassed by anyone. In fact, there were more homeless people that "harassed" us the following morning while walking to breakfast. But nothing we couldn't handle, just be polite or do not make eye contact. Any city is bound to have homeless people, it's not that big of a deal, and certainly not the hotel's fault.

Now, about the actual hotel. The lobby is beautiful, amazing wood ceiling, beautiful architecture, great furnishings...if only the rooms were decorated in similar taste. First of all, the door to our room didn't fit the door frame properly, so there was about an inch gap between the door frame and the door at the top. The light switch didn't work. The room was small, but we expected that. The furnishings and decor were terrible, not classic SF, just old. The dresser was chipped and looked like something you would buy at a garage sale or Goodwill. The historic pictures hanging on the wall were a nice touch, though. The bathroom was small, but not too bad (I've been to nicer hotels that had smaller bathrooms). The room was decently clean (I am a bit of a clean freak, so I might have higher standards than the average person), the corners and edges looked like they could use a good scrubbing. The bed was comfortable, although there was a small tear in our bottom sheet. The TV (as everyone has mentioned) was a mid to late nineties model, we didn't use it much. The carpet was old and had a gap in between the seam. A major drawback, at least for me (and any other light sleepers) is that the curtains were not heavy or dark enough. There were some lace curtains that covered the window and that was it. The heavier drapes did not come all the way across the window. This let in light all night, and the window itself was drafty which was noisy. Since this was a one night stay I didn't have much to complain about. We spent a total of about 10 hours in the room, 8 of which were spent sleeping. If you won't be in the room too much and just want to see the city then by all means stay here. But if you are used to modern amenities and comfort, spend the extra 50 bucks and stay somewhere else.

Customer service. The front desk was decent. Checking in there was a line but there were 3 representatives working and the line moved quickly enough. Our rep was very polite, had a smile ready, and was generally pleasant. Checking out there was again a line, and this time only 2 reps working so it moved slower but not too bad. Our rep was brusque and not as pleasant as the previous one. Our one major complaint was the parking. You pay an additional 30 dollars a night for parking, which is to be expected in any city hotel. I have no complaints about the price. We were told upon checking in to call ahead 15 minutes when we wanted to get our car so that it would be out and ready for us. As we got ready to leave our room and check out we called down and asked to have our car ready. We waited about 10 mins and then left our room. Checkout took an additional ten minutes- at least. When we got to the back to pick up our car, it was not in sight, and there was no one around to help us. After a couple minutes an attendant came up and asked what kind of car we had. We told him and he went into an office and a few minutes later came out with the keys and ran to get our car. We both wondered what the point of calling down ahead of time was. Then as we waited the attendant brought our car out, and after parking...shut it off! Now, this wouldn't be a huge deal to some people, but a) we didn't have that much luggage that it would take minutes to load and b) I own a high performance car that MUST be warmed up before being shut off (otherwise the engine may flood). Not only was my car not warmed up and waiting for me (after I called ahead of time) it was improperly handled.

All in all, this is an ok hotel. It had a 3 star rating on Hotwire, but I would rate it less. With a few changes and renovations it could be a posh place to stay, and a great location. I would not stay here again, but if you are only in the city for a few days and won't be in the room much, it's a pretty good deal.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. We have listened to each of the things you mentioned and we are doing everything we can to make the necessary chages to imporve our hotel. We always appreciate when our guest give us constructive feedback to make us better. We do hope that if you return to San Francisco you give us another try as I know we can make your stay wonderful.

Travelers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Guanacaste
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Just got back from a week in SF with my wife. We were celebrating our second anniversary and the staff at Hotel Whitcomb treated us like royalty. It's definitely a city hotel within walking distance from all the great dining, shopping and sightseeing this city has to offer. If you're too tired to walk after all the shopping (or too full from all the eating), there's a BART station and an F train stop right out the front door. There's even a Starbucks in the lobby to get you the kickstart in the morning.

The historic look of the hotel reminds the guest of the "classic San Francisco" you see in the post cards and while you can still hear the hustle and bustle of the city, the HUGE beds make for some of the best sleeping ever! I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to be a part of this wonderful city as oppsed to someone wanting to see it from afar. Thank you for a wonderful stay, Hotel Whitcomb. We may just make it a yearly tradition!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, April 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel Whitcomb for your anniversary and for sharing your thoughts about your stay. We are all pleased to know that this very special occasion went well and we might see you both again next year!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed for 5 nights in this hotel in order to participate in a work conference - I was meant to stay longer but couldn't bear one more night, gladly lost money to go elsewhere and get some sleep. I like old hotels but this one is creepy and dirty and noisy - in an unsafe way. The light switches in the room didn't work and the electric sockets hissed and sparked - I reported this but was met with blank stares and then shrugs. It was hot and the 'air-conditioning' - a unit circa 1970 was so loud and rattly when on I could not hear a phone conversation. The promised internet access didn't work 2 out of 3 days. The TV didn't work properly. The carpet was stained and dirty. The curtains were disgustingly dirty. The room was dark. The bed was saggy and the pillows hard. The staff behind the check in desk are unreachable, robotic and uncaring of weary travelers. On the plus side, its amusing to sit in the spectacular lobby and observe the farce going on and admire the amazing architectural period details. And then move on to one of the many other lovely hotels in this great city.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

We would like to take the time to thank you for giving us your feedback about your recent stay with us. We take all reviews and customer feedback very seriously and I can assure your that we will be doing everything possible to make sure that this time of experience is not repeated. We do hope that if you decide to return to the area you give me a call and give us another opportunity to change your mind.